ford Bronco -any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dogememe
Originally Posted by Chris142

The gm front ends won't hold an alignment. The ford will.

BS... I've owned at least half a dozen GMT400s and NEVER had any trouble with alignment or uneven tire wear. Both GM and Ford generally make excellent trucks.

Likewise here. Even at very high mileage no problems at all.

FYI, on the last gen Broncos (1992-96), you're technically not supposed to remove the top, even though it is removable. There are 2 reasons for this: In 1992, Ford installed shoulder belts for the rear seat passengers. The shoulder belt attaches to the removable top. Top removed = non-functional rear seat belts = illegal safety violation. 1991 and older Broncos only had lap belts for the rear seat, so removing the top didn't affect the seatbelts and is therefore legal.

The 2nd reason you're not supposed to remove the top is the high-mounted third brake light. Again, removing the top means you remove that brake light, which is technically illegal, although I doubt any cop would actually care or even notice that. And again, 1991 and older Broncos never had a third brake light to begin with so they're unaffected by this.

The seatbelt issue has some workarounds. I've heard of people adding lap belts like the older Broncos, though I'm not sure that's 100% legal as you're basically downgrading a safety device to something less safe. People have also added roll cages that have attachment points for shoulder belts. Or you could probably just remove the rear seat and not carry anyone back there.

Originally Posted by exranger06
FYI, on the last gen Broncos (1992-96), you're technically not supposed to remove the top, even though it is removable. There are 2 reasons for this: In 1992, Ford installed shoulder belts for the rear seat passengers. The shoulder belt attaches to the removable top. Top removed = non-functional rear seat belts = illegal safety violation. 1991 and older Broncos only had lap belts for the rear seat, so removing the top didn't affect the seatbelts and is therefore legal.

The 2nd reason you're not supposed to remove the top is the high-mounted third brake light. Again, removing the top means you remove that brake light, which is technically illegal, although I doubt any cop would actually care or even notice that. And again, 1991 and older Broncos never had a third brake light to begin with so they're unaffected by this.

The seatbelt issue has some workarounds. I've heard of people adding lap belts like the older Broncos, though I'm not sure that's 100% legal as you're basically downgrading a safety device to something less safe. People have also added roll cages that have attachment points for shoulder belts. Or you could probably just remove the rear seat and not carry anyone back there.
My grandfather had a 70s blazer and my dad told me he took the top off just once because it was so awkward and heavy. Fibreglass is really heavy, I would totally rock a soft top during the summer months.

Originally Posted by exranger06

Thanks for the info. That is good to know.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
You should look for one in white. See if the vanity plate JUICE is available when getting the tag(s) for it.

I saw a white one down the road from my house last year with the license plate OJDIDIT

I bought a '93 Eddie Bauer new (my first new vehicle). It was a solid truck and very capable four wheeler. I had only one complaint. The twin traction beam front end had almost zero steering feedback. The steering was in a word numb. When I traded it in for a '97 F-150 4x4 the horrible steering was quite evident. The '97 steering was a godsend

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back