How are insurance rates for late model Ford Broncos?

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
As some may know, I occasionally enjoy rebuilding salvaged vehicles at auction. I am looking for a late model F250/F350 in stone gray for some body parts. Not doing well with that.

Nonetheless, in doing a nationwide F250/F350 search on salvage auctions I accidently clicked on Ford Broncos. I was blown away at the massive quantity of the Broncos totaled what surely looks like off road accidents, not collisions.

It hit me- those Broncos are super pricey and there are hundreds of them at auction right now for apparently salvaged for off road incidents. Is it right to assume to insure a late model Bronco one must pay a kings ransom?

It would be best to consult your agent giving them the information of the vehicle you are interested in purchasing for a quote.

It would be best to consult your agent giving them the information of the vehicle you are interested in purchasing for a quote.
I think last time I asked my agent, I basically needed a VIN to get a ballpark. It's been a while, I didn't like the answer, but I sorta understood why it might be hard to just guess.

I did some searching on my last purchase, found the internet gave some advice. Which was wrong, my insurance cost was out of step. So much for being informed.

To the OP, I wonder if part of that is due to the ongoing parts shortages. Yeah they can tell a customer it'll only be six months to repair... but if they can't get any estimate for when they can get a necessary part, does the insurance company just toss in the towel?

Maybe what looks like small damage is actually much larger than the pics suggest, for this model.

I think last time I asked my agent, I basically needed a VIN to get a ballpark. It's been a while, I didn't like the answer, but I sorta understood why it might be hard to just guess.

I did some searching on my last purchase, found the internet gave some advice. Which was wrong, my insurance cost was out of step. So much for being informed.

To the OP, I wonder if part of that is due to the ongoing parts shortages. Yeah they can tell a customer it'll only be six months to repair... but if they can't get any estimate for when they can get a necessary part, does the insurance company just toss in the towel?

Maybe what looks like small damage is actually much larger than the pics suggest, for this model.
I am not looking to purchase a late model Bronco, just surprised by the amount of these Broncos at auction from what appear to be physically damaged from what looks like non on road collision damage. Next thought was- are insurance companies charging "super car" like premiums for late model Broncos? A 75 year old guy at Church has one of these. Retired High School shop class teacher. Is he paying a kings ransom for insurance?

Here is a hasty sample I just pulled pics of:
resizer5.jpg
resizer4.jpg
resizer3.jpg
resizer2.jpg
resizer1.jpg
resizer.jpg

Beats me--as you ponder, maybe they just have high premiums. Insurance companies know how to "win", they don't give away money. Maybe this is what they know is the cheap path. Seems odd. Maybe after they junk out enough of them, there will be enough fodder in the used parts chain that they can then buy cheap parts, and in the future they won't be so quick to total one out?

Definitely outside of my budget!

I am not looking to purchase a late model Bronco, just surprised by the amount of these Broncos at auction from what appear to be physically damaged from what looks like non on road collision damage. Next thought was- are insurance companies charging "super car" like premiums for late model Broncos? A 75 year old guy at Church has one of these. Retired High School shop class teacher. Is he paying a kings ransom for insurance?

Here is a hasty sample I just pulled pics of:
View attachment 178408View attachment 178409View attachment 178410View attachment 178411View attachment 178412View attachment 178413
Well, they broke the IFS on several trying to do Dana dancing 😎

• Sad
Reactions: GON
Those don't necessarily look like off road specific damage. It could be, but it a bunch of them could easily have been hitting a center barrier or something like that. Off road specific damage - at least for real off road, usually has a crumpled rocker panel/door bottom from high centering, or a crumpled corner from sliding off the trail, etc. Rolling isn't that uncommon off road either. Maybe, maybe not?

As for totaling them, maybe you can't get parts - Ford can't build them fast enough so parts might be months or years so the insurance company wants out??

Or you can self serve it by doing a 'quote' online with your current insurance, skip a phone call altogether, but don’t hit the commit button.

You can get a VIN off autotrader that is representative of what you would buy and ask for a quote. Your not committing to anything either way. I have done this while shopping cars before, it is a totally reasonable request.

You can get a VIN off autotrader that is representative of what you would buy and ask for a quote. Your not committing to anything either way. I have done this while shopping cars before, it is a totally reasonable request.
I have as well. In fact I gave my agent 3 different cars and asked the price difference I was considering buying at the time. They were pretty diverse. The quotes by car were not that much different - maybe 20% at most from memory.

Those don't necessarily look like off road specific damage. It could be, but it a bunch of them could easily have been hitting a center barrier or something like that. Off road specific damage - at least for real off road, usually has a crumpled rocker panel/door bottom from high centering, or a crumpled corner from sliding off the trail, etc. Rolling isn't that uncommon off road either. Maybe, maybe not?

As for totaling them, maybe you can't get parts - Ford can't build them fast enough so parts might be months or years so the insurance company wants out??
Backorders are a thing on these. Also random parts are ungodly expensive for what they are. I quoted a mirror on one of these and it was $1600.

Lesson learned, didn't think of that at the time.

The real broncos seem to have an unusual, GOTTAHAVE IT allure to certain folks, don’t care about the money. I’ve seen it happening here - it seems to trigger significant car lust. and i get it, they look awesome and do have a sentimental throwback. Are they actually truck-based, or is it just another pretty face?

The real broncos seem to have an unusual, GOTTAHAVE IT allure to certain folks, don’t care about the money. I’ve seen it happening here - it seems to trigger significant car lust. and i get it, they look awesome and do have a sentimental throwback. Are they actually truck-based, or is it just another pretty face?
There based off the ranger platform so yes.

The bronco sport is not - its cuv based

Back