Shell rotella t6 multi vehicle 5w 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, ive been thinking about trying this oil. How does it compare to say Mobil 5w 30 Ep in the current d1g2 cert. I don't see the t6 multi vehicle having the d1g2 cert but I was curious as how it compares. Also what is the cold flow numbers comparison to Mobil 5w 30 Ep which is what I'm currently using.

Lots of threads about it. No, it's not dexos1 Gen2, but it does have low calcium, so it should be LSPI resistant, one would guess.
Its a thick 5w30, having an HTHS of around 3.5, where M1 EP 5w30 is about 3.0, typical for a resource conserving GF-5 5w30.
You will lose about 1% or so fuel economy, but other than that, it is a well engineered oil for use in any 5w30 SN application (dexos1 Gen2 probably too, just not officially or warranty compatible for that).
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4276682/Re:_Rotella_T6_Multi-Vehicle_5
http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2017/09/shell-rotella-t6-multi-vehicle-5w-30-diesel-gas-engines/
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4835396/1

I sure hope that it's very good since I have 9 jugs of it on hand to use. Not bad for free. But the next interval I will probably use up the last of some Pennzoil Ultra 5w20. I have six quarts of that left and should work nicely heading into the winter time.

Good luck finding the stuff.

I'd buy this stuff by the 5 gallon bucket and use it in everything.

If I had easy access to a Shell jobber or if Amazon sold this on the cheap, I'd use that in everything that doesn't need SN Plus or D1G2 certs. It's a touch thicker than the typical 5W-30.

Originally Posted by bbhero
^^^^^^^

Exactly right. It's hard to find as hens teeth.

I've looked all over and never seen it in the wild. I'm one of those guys who meanders over to the oil section of any store that has one, too, just to see what they've got.

Napa carries it, but they didn't include it in the T6 sale. They charge $30 a gallon for it.

Amazon has Chevron's Delo 5w30 synthetic at a better price.

It's cold performance won't be as good as an ILSAC 5w-30, but is good enough. It was slightly, but noticeably, faster cranking for me last winter than the 5w-40 the preceded it, for what that's worth. I never got stranded all winter, at least.

Regarding the d1g2 cert , is the additive package the same or at least very similar in the t6. I have a GM V8 6.2 DI and a Chrysler penstar 3.6 that is supposed to get the MS6395 spec. I use Mobil ep 5w 30 in both currently but I've been thinking of switching out to the t6 multi vehicle in the truck, and possibly the Jeep. I'd like to have a higher hths than 3.0 at least in the truck. I don't mind running and oil that doesn't have the correct cert as long at it's a quality oil of the same or better protection. I've been in other threads on here involving Patman over the recent changes in spec for the new Corvette 6.2 to a 0w40 esp which has a Dex 2 cert and the Mobil 5w 30 esp has been discussed as a possible or better substitute. Although it is only a Dex 2 and has a low tbn. So I was basically looking at this as a alternative as well. I don't know of we have low sulfur gas here in the US or not but that seems to be a concerning factor with a low tbn oil and . Also I guess I need to be concerned with timing chain wear as well. It all get overwhelming to me once you start digging into this oil science.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Crobinson16
Actually it's available at a Wal-Mart near me so that's one of the reasons I looked at it.

In that case, buy it
happy2.gif

But can you please take a picture of it on the shelf?
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Crobinson16
Regarding the d1g2 cert , is the additive package the same or at least very similar in the t6. I have a GM V8 6.2 DI and a Chrysler penstar 3.6 that is supposed to get the MS6395 spec. I use Mobil ep 5w 30 in both currently but I've been thinking of switching out to the t6 multi vehicle in the truck, and possibly the Jeep. I'd like to have a higher hths than 3.0 at least in the truck. I don't mind running and oil that doesn't have the correct cert as long at it's a quality oil of the same or better protection. I've been in other threads on here involving Patman over the recent changes in spec for the new Corvette 6.2 to a 0w40 esp which has a Dex 2 cert and the Mobil 5w 30 esp has been discussed as a possible or better substitute. Although it is only a Dex 2 and has a low tbn. So I was basically looking at this as a alternative as well. I don't know of we have low sulfur gas here in the US or not but that seems to be a concerning factor with a low tbn oil and . Also I guess I need to be concerned with timing chain wear as well. It all get overwhelming to me once you start digging into this oil science.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back