Where to find Mobil MX2T/Racing 2T?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have looked for this stuff everywhere. I find references to Kragen(sp?) but there are none of those stores in my area. I also found references to people finding it at Autozones but I checked the 3 that are in my area and all they have is Coastal brand and a no-name pre-mix. Other places around my area have dino 2-stroke oils. What I am really looking for is a good air cooled 2-stroke oil that is synthetic and doesn't smoke much and most people on this forum have used many and have found MX2T to be the best in their experience. I do see plenty of Amsoil synthetic around which I will use Amsoil Dominator oil if I can't find the MX2T. I'm sure someone will ask so I will fill you in, it's for a small two stroke 62cc air-cooled engine that is idled for a minute than runs at wide open(with about 7k-9k rpm) for about 30 minutes at a time before being shut off. It specifies 25:1 and I have no plans on running any less oil than that with the engine because it gets very hot. Anybody know where I else to check for MX2T/Racing 2T?

I could have sworn I saw MX2T at Autozone. Check with a manager or store manager about it. It might not be out on the shelf.

Okay, no O'Reilley's in my area, checkers only had 2 cycle outboard and the little 2.6 oz 50:1 premix pennzoil bottles. The www.avlube.com website doesn't seem to have any shipping prices and due to the weight of oil, I'm sure the $6.50 per quart ($39/6) would become more than the original price of $8.99 from a store.

Any other places have it? I'm about 10 miles north of Minneapolis, MN if that helps.

Unless I find some MX2T at a store, I will be going with Amsoil Dominator, sound good? Any other ideas for a two-stroke oil or should I be good to go.

...Maybe I shouldn't worry about it too much because of how simple 2-stroke engines are with no valves and the only major wear parts are the crankshaft, piston, piston rings, cylinder, and the tiny bearings. I just want that stuff to last as long as possible.

Thanks guys!

quote:

Originally posted by MN Driver:
Okay, no O'Reilley's in my area, checkers only had 2 cycle outboard and the little 2.6 oz 50:1 premix pennzoil bottles. The www.avlube.com website doesn't seem to have any shipping prices and due to the weight of oil, I'm sure the $6.50 per quart ($39/6) would become more than the original price of $8.99 from a store.

Any other places have it? I'm about 10 miles north of Minneapolis, MN if that helps.

Unless I find some MX2T at a store, I will be going with Amsoil Dominator, sound good? Any other ideas for a two-stroke oil or should I be good to go.

...Maybe I shouldn't worry about it too much because of how simple 2-stroke engines are with no valves and the only major wear parts are the crankshaft, piston, piston rings, cylinder, and the tiny bearings. I just want that stuff to last as long as possible.

Thanks guys!

MN Driver, look for an Autozone, they carry it. Also try a Mobil Station. Look at www.autozone.com for a store location.

Autozone's in my area don't carry it as I said in my first post, I'm not sure why not. They only have these little 1-gallon premix containers of a no-name brand, coastal brand, and valvoline outboard 2-cycle oils. It's all junk at autozone and when I ask them about it they are like "Mobil makes a 2-stroke oil?
rolleyes.gif
"

quote:

Originally posted by MN Driver:
Autozone's in my area don't carry it as I said in my first post, I'm not sure why not. They only have these little 1-gallon premix containers of a no-name brand, coastal brand, and valvoline outboard 2-cycle oils. It's all junk at autozone and when I ask them about it they are like "Mobil makes a 2-stroke oil?
rolleyes.gif
"

Sorry, I should have read your post closer. You can order it online if you choose. Dennis Kirk in Rush City MN has it, if you ever get up there. I would try a local Mobil station or see if Autozone or Napa can order it for you.

MSC Industrial sells it online, by the bottle. But, they charge a bit more.
I've used Amsoil Dominator and Saber oils, and was not impressed. They smoked alot, and blew chunks of carbon out the exhaust. This was at 32:1 ratio.

Yes, but a 100:1 ratio would definetly not be a good choice for a 25:1 ratio application. I don't want to guess ratios or mess with that the fine print says to run it richer is "workhorse operations" which I means guesswork to find the right ratio and I'd rather not experiment with that. I would much rather run the correct ratio as stated.

I just found the Mobil 1 Racing 2T at a Checker auto, I went in there and asked why they didn't have it and he did an inventory search and came up with a store 20 miles away that had it in stock, so I drove out there and got some.

416Rigby: Thank you for the information.

I'm just curious, if we drove 2-stroke cars, would MX2T be the oil of choice for you guys, it seems to be the best oil in terms of cleanliness, wear control, and performance. Do you think 50:1 would be specified? ....It would be like the Trabant days. Air cooled=no coolant, 2-cycle=no oil changes, mechanical based brakes and clutch components, not many fluids to mess with other than grease probably for the muffler bearings, just don't forget to top off the blinker fluid.

Thanks again guys :)

Yes, I changed to this stuff after reading all the positive posts on it. All my 2 strokes love it. I use it on an Echo PAS-260 power head, Husqvarna 45-Special chainsaw, Husqvarna 165T backpack leaf blower to name a few.

-greenhobby

quote:

Originally posted by VelociRacer:
Is this oil safe as API L-EGD? The old MX2T PDS specs it as just EGD.

I'll re-phrase my question hoping some1 might chime in:

Would you use MX2T/Racing 2T (API EGD rated to my knowledge), in a "newer" string trimmer that calls out API L-EGD?

The API L-EGD I can find locally in the $4/pint price range is all synth-blend. If MX2T/Racing 2T is 100% synthetic, should I expect it to, as M1 puts it: "outperform"?

Thanks 416Rigby

Update: I guess I answered my own question by going to Murray's and snagging a qt of Racing 2T for $7.99, on the back it shows "Proposed API L-EGD". I can rest assured now.

I wonder if they updated the formula since MX2T (was only EGD), or just put a dye in and tested to meet L-EGD for Racing 2T.

The api has nothing to do with the EGD certification. ISO is the org that set up the EGD cert. The L in the cert stands for lubricant so ISO L-EGD is the same thing as EGD. MX2T has been a EGD oil since it came out and will also meet the NEW EGE cert as well. If a better air cooled oil can be found I havent seen it yet and I have tested plenty.

Thanks blano, you're right, I meant API-TC, ISO-EGD. This clarifies thing too:

"Lubricants, industrial oils and related products (class L) -- Family E (Internal combustion engine oils) -- Specifications for two-stroke-cycle gasoline engine oils (categories EGB, EGC and EGD)"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back