20wt for low load on small inverter generator at or below 0f?

Getting ready for the colder weather next week. Expecting to see around 0f or a few degrees lower than that.

I have a 2000w (1700w running) Champion Inverter generator. For my use, it’ll probably average between 200-300 watts continuous.

-100w for my fireplace insert fan
-100w for fridge (Seems low. But, this is what I measured with a Kill-A-Watt while the compressor was running)
-And around 100w for TV, a few lamps, charging phones, etc.

Since it’ll basically be sitting on idle all of that time, will this little air cooled engine heat the oil up enough? Or would it be beneficial to drop it down to a lower viscosity?

I just broken in a Champion 2500 yesterday. It comes with 10w30, and I put 10w30 back in. It will be fine with what is coming next week. Keep preparing and do not trust the local municipalities or utilities (water, power).

It's honestly ok but even at 0f whatever 5w-30 will still sling around just fine. But you can use 0w-20 as it will be dissipating heat very effectively if that's what you already have. What part of texas are you in, the lowest expected temp i might see is 16 in the SE part. Also don't forget to purge your sprinklers and to have multiple if not all faucets dripping just to be extra safe. It's said you only need to drip just the one that's farthest away but I'm having everything drip. Not playing this time around, the last time it got very expensive and inconvenient.

I'm going to relate a story, and then after that give my recommendation.

Several years ago, we had major winter storm in central IN that took out power all across the area. We were without power for 3.5 days. I had two generators; one with a OHV Subaru engine and the other with an old L-head Tecumseh. The newer OHV engine was the one we ran 24/7 for those 3.5 days. It was COLD outside; the low overnight ambient temp was -17F and -18F for two nights, then the third night was around 0F. I put my hand/fingers on the running generator crankcase and even after days of running in those cold temps, the crankcase was cool (not cold) to the touch. When the event was over and power restored, I took the generator into the garage to do an OCI. The oil came out of the drain hole just fine, but that oil was only "warm"; not even hot enough to give me a first degree burn, and nowhere hot enough to scald me. At the time I didn't have a IR thermometer; wish I had been able to take that direct temp after 3+ days of running.

Air cooled generators have to move a lot of air because that air not only cools the engine, but also the electrical power head. So in order to survive hot climates, they move a lot of air. But the caveat is that in really cold temps, it's still moving a lot of air. The engine piston and crank may warm up some, but the head and crankcase castings stay fairly cool. The oil does not get fully up to temp when the ambient air temps are single digits or below. And so, the oil isn't anywhere near it's "30" grade temp viscosity. When it's really cold, you need oil to be still thin enough that these little splash-lube engines get fully saturated. If the crankcase temps are only maybe 60F, then the cSt value at 212F (100C) is moot. My point is that when it's really cold outside, air cooled generators don't warm the oil much; too much heat is rejected into the atmosphere and the oil just doesn't get hot.

My overall, generic statement:
- In air cooled generators that have the potential to see low (winter) and high (summer) temps, I believe a 5w-30 syn is a good all around choice; it's the better "in between" option.
- If you tend towards cooler summers and really cold winters, then perhaps a 0w-30 syn.
- If you tend towards hot summers and moderate winters, then a 10w-30 syn or even a semi-syn.

For the OP's stated concerns:
Absolutely use a 0w-20 or 0w-30 for winter. That expected outdoor temp range, combined with a few hundred watts of load means that engine will be putt-putt-putting along, and therefore generate very little heat to warm the oil.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

@dnewton3 , it’s funny you mention the oil not being warm in the generator you ran for several days. I took oil temp readings for this generator last summer with various loads.

103f ambient temps. I put my sous vide in an ice water bath and it was pulling 750 watts. Then added a fan for a total of 850 watts or about 50% running load. After 25 minutes the oil temp measured 195f. Idled it for 10 minutes after that and the oil temp came down to about 165f.

Even if we don’t lose power, I may run a few tests on the generator at various loads and get some oil temp readings when it’s cold out.

It's honestly ok but even at 0f whatever 5w-30 will still sling around just fine. But you can use 0w-20 as it will be dissipating heat very effectively if that's what you already have. What part of texas are you in, the lowest expected temp i might see is 16 in the SE part. Also don't forget to purge your sprinklers and to have multiple if not all faucets dripping just to be extra safe. It's said you only need to drip just the one that's farthest away but I'm having everything drip. Not playing this time around, the last time it got very expensive and inconvenient.

I’m near Oklahoma. I was very fortunate in 2021 and only lost power for about 30 minutes. Had generator on standby, but thankfully never needed it.

I just broken in a Champion 2500 yesterday. It comes with 10w30, and I put 10w30 back in. It will be fine with what is coming next week. Keep preparing and do not trust the local municipalities or utilities (water, power).
I’m ready. Have a large stack of firewood, generator, and a backup generator. lol

Also, making a big batch of chili. Regardless of what happens, we’ll be warm, fat, and happy on the other side. 😂

Also, I’ve never noticed those faucet covers actually do much. In 2021, I took some IR temps of my faucet after having it covered and it was around 25f with an ambient temp of 5f. This time, I created a small “heat box” for each outdoor faucet. It’s essentially a small plastic tote that I glued foil faced insulation to the inside. Then drilled a hole in one end and put a water resistant light fixture in it. I’ll then press the open side against the wall to cover the faucet. I hoarded some incandescent bulbs before our wonderful president banned them. A 15w incandescent seems to have enough heat to keep the box around 85f on a 30f night we had recently when I tested it. So should be around 50-60f in the box when it’s near zero outside. Even if I have to run those lights with the generator, it’s only 30 watts total extra load.

Last edited:
The question i have is, if you don't have an outage, and warm weather arrives, I.E. hurricane season. Are you going to dump the little run 20wt oil , or are you going to run it?

I don't see an advantage to the 20wt vs a 5w30 or 10w 30 syn. I'd pick an oil you can run year round. I currently run amsoil HDD 5w30 in mine.

@Cujet has posted before about aircooled generators in hot weather.

Last edited:
The question i have is, if you don't have an outage, and warm weather arrives, I.E. hurricane season. Are you going to dump the little run 20wt oil , or are you going to run it?

I don't see an advantage to the 20wt vs a 5w30 or 10w 30 syn. I'd pick an oil you can run year round. I currently run amsoil HDD 5w30 in mine.

@Cujet has posted before about aircooled generators in hot weather.
I’d dump it. I’m not intentionally wasteful, but it holds a whopping 14oz of oil. So I’m not worried about it.

If you use eco-throttle, the engine will spin slower on light loads, and its fan will spin slower too. I'd stick with a 0w30 or thereabouts. Plus what happens when people want to start plugging more stuff in? Are you going to say, no, sorry, your oil is too fragile? Because that's what they're going to hear. ;)

And this 0'F, that's at night? When this passes isn't there a likelihood of having "normal" TX temps while still not having power? I know if you're running 50 hour OCI's that's every two days so you can switch it up if it starts warming up.

What possible benefit will the 20 give you absolutely nothing just a potential for failure over a 30

The whole "5w-20" and oil consumption is a function of the brand and base stock, not the viscosity itself.

An inexpensive lube that is a lower end grp II+ may have an issue. Whereas a very high quality group IV or III with superior chemistry (such as HPL) won't evaporate nearly as bad as some of the lower tier choices. It has nothing to do with the vis rating; it has everything to do with the base stocks and additives.

If you want something readily available at the local WM or autoparts place, then perhaps consider Mobil 1 in your choice of vis.
If you want something more boutique, I'd suggest Amsoil or HPL; easily ordered, but will cost more.

Generators are a piece of emergency equipment in the manner the OP speaks of. IMO they are worth spending more money on the lube, because the failure of that piece of equipment won't end well for anyone. When the power is out, and you're in the dark, you NEED that unit to run reliably.

To follow up on my experience I described from a while back ...
As I mentioned I had two generators; one smaller 4200W for the full-time power (furnace; fridge; sump pump;etc), and one 5000W loud ol'skool one for running the well pump. When that uber-cold 3+day cold snap happened, I learned a valuable lesson:
- The smaller genny stayed in the heated garage all the time. It was easy to move out and then pull start. Turned over fine and fired up quickly, because the ambient in the garage was probably 40F due to the small propane wall heater. 40F was enough to keep the genny "ready" for use. This is the genny that ran non-stop for 3.5 days. Once I got it running, it stayed running for about 90 hours. It had 5w-30 syn Mobil 1 in it.
- The larger unit, OTOH, was out in the barn (-17F). It had synthetic 10w-30 oil in it, but it was grp III (Supertech as I recall). When I pulled the start cord, it was so stiff from the cold oil that I could not pull the cord fast enough to get it to fire; the parasitic drag of cold oil was like frozen molasses in that crankcase. I am no weakling, and that cord was HARD to pull to turn the crank over. So what I did was move it into the heated garage and after a few hours, the Tecumseh engine had warmed up enough to warm the oil, and then I was able to get it to fire off. Once I was done with it, it went back into the garage.
Oddly enough, my neighbor had his genny filled with conventional 10w-40; it wouldn't turn over at all, as if the crank was just glued into the case. It sat overnight in my heated garage, and was able to start the next morning. Once started, we got it warm enough to drain the oil, and then put in some 5w-30 PAO.

My point is that when you NEED power, and you're relying on a small, air-cooled genny, you want a quality synthetic oil in the crankcase, because if you have bad luck like me, you'll need that genny at the worst possible time. It's either stupid cold or ridiculously hot, and the last thing you want to worry about is having to do an OCI to get it running. If you think for one second that a really cold start is in the future of your air-cooled genny, then I HIGHLY recommend using a 5w-30 or 0w-30 of a group IV or V base-stock, so that the oil will be thin enough that you can actually get the crankshaft to turn over fast enough to get good spark and also a good draw through the carb.

What possible benefit will the 20 give you absolutely nothing just a potential for failure over a 30
I don't think there's any chance of failure in this scenario. It's an air cooled generator running low-load. There's not going to be a lot of heat generated by the engine, and the fan is going to be blowing really cold air over the head and crankcase. I doubt the engine oil is going to get anywhere near a normal operating temperature, especially because earlier in the thread that on a 750-850 watt load and 103 degree ambient temps the oil only got to 195.

So if you take into consideration the ambient temp could possibly drop by 100 degrees or more and the expected load is roughly half of what the test load was, there's not going to be enough heat in that engine to get the oil hot enough to drop it down to the 20 weight hot rating by a long shot, IMO.

The risk for damage is likely 0.

The whole "5w-20" and oil consumption is a function of the brand and base stock, not the viscosity itself.

An inexpensive lube that is a lower end grp II+ may have an issue. Whereas a very high quality group IV or III with superior chemistry (such as HPL) won't evaporate nearly as bad as some of the lower tier choices. It has nothing to do with the vis rating; it has everything to do with the base stocks and additives.

If you want something readily available at the local WM or autoparts place, then perhaps consider Mobil 1 in your choice of vis.
If you want something more boutique, I'd suggest Amsoil or HPL; easily ordered, but will cost more.

Generators are a piece of emergency equipment in the manner the OP speaks of. IMO they are worth spending more money on the lube, because the failure of that piece of equipment won't end well for anyone. When the power is out, and you're in the dark, you NEED that unit to run reliably.

To follow up on my experience I described from a while back ...
As I mentioned I had two generators; one smaller 4200W for the full-time power (furnace; fridge; sump pump;etc), and one 5000W loud ol'skool one for running the well pump. When that uber-cold 3+day cold snap happened, I learned a valuable lesson:
- The smaller genny stayed in the heated garage all the time. It was easy to move out and then pull start. Turned over fine and fired up quickly, because the ambient in the garage was probably 40F due to the small propane wall heater. 40F was enough to keep the genny "ready" for use. This is the genny that ran non-stop for 3.5 days. Once I got it running, it stayed running for about 90 hours. It had 5w-30 syn Mobil 1 in it.
- The larger unit, OTOH, was out in the barn (-17F). It had synthetic 10w-30 oil in it, but it was grp III (Supertech as I recall). When I pulled the start cord, it was so stiff from the cold oil that I could not pull the cord fast enough to get it to fire; the parasitic drag of cold oil was like frozen molasses in that crankcase. I am no weakling, and that cord was HARD to pull to turn the crank over. So what I did was move it into the heated garage and after a few hours, the Tecumseh engine had warmed up enough to warm the oil, and then I was able to get it to fire off. Once I was done with it, it went back into the garage.
Oddly enough, my neighbor had his genny filled with conventional 10w-40; it wouldn't turn over at all, as if the crank was just glued into the case. It sat overnight in my heated garage, and was able to start the next morning. Once started, we got it warm enough to drain the oil, and then put in some 5w-30 PAO.

My point is that when you NEED power, and you're relying on a small, air-cooled genny, you want a quality synthetic oil in the crankcase, because if you have bad luck like me, you'll need that genny at the worst possible time. It's either stupid cold or ridiculously hot, and the last thing you want to worry about is having to do an OCI to get it running. If you think for one second that a really cold start is in the future of your air-cooled genny, then I HIGHLY recommend using a 5w-30 or 0w-30 of a group IV or V base-stock, so that the oil will be thin enough that you can actually get the crankshaft to turn over fast enough to get good spark and also a good draw through the carb.
if a 5w or 0w passes a ratting it don’t matter what base oil is used it passes the ratting period.

If you use eco-throttle, the engine will spin slower on light loads, and its fan will spin slower too. I'd stick with a 0w30 or thereabouts. Plus what happens when people want to start plugging more stuff in? Are you going to say, no, sorry, your oil is too fragile? Because that's what they're going to hear. ;)

And this 0'F, that's at night? When this passes isn't there a likelihood of having "normal" TX temps while still not having power? I know if you're running 50 hour OCI's that's every two days so you can switch it up if it starts warming up.

I noticed mine shutdown a few times, it was because of that eco button and the 1500W space heater didn't agree with each other. I think the generator was already eco enough because it barely sipped fuel after 5 hours. :LOL:

So, let’s put some (completely made up) numbers to this.

Here is a list of the viscosities recommended by Champion. Yes, I’m aware 0w-20 isn’t on this list. lol

IMG_2770.jpeg

So, with that in mind, let’s take my report earlier of an oil temp of 195f (90C) at 103f ambient temp with a 50% load. I think it’s reasonable to say I had the engine warmed up but not too hot, even in that kind of ambient heat.

If champion says I can use a 30 or 40wt oil at those temps we can graph the viscosity of those oils and get an approx viscosity range to stay between.

I used the Widman calculator (does he still come around here?), and inputted some M1 flavors and their respective 40c and 100c viscosities.

M1 AFE 0w-16 (because I live on the wild side)
M1 EP 5w-20 (have this in the garage)
M1 EP 5w-30
M1 FS 5w-40

From what I see, the 30 and 40wt oils have a viscosity of 12.65 and 16.59cSt respectively at 90C. So let’s shoot for a range of 12 to 17. It may very well be ok to use a wider viscosity range, but for now let’s stick with this.

IMG_2772.jpeg

At 25% load and low ambient temps, I’m anticipating an oil temp of 140f (60C) max. But, very likely less than that based on DNewton3’s reports above.

At that temp, every oil listed (even the 0w-16) is outside of my haphazardly chosen viscosity range of 12-17cSt (although probably not to any catastrophic consequence).

To end this madness, I’ll just say I’m doing some testing the first night it gets cold, and will report back with my findings.

Last edited:
Back