Synthetic Oil for Small Generator in One Quart Bottles

I have two Westinghouse branded 2500 watt (peak) air cooled inverter generators I use to power my RV. The oil chart provided by the manufacturer recommends 10W-30 for below 80F ambient and 15W-40 for above 80F ambient. The manual also states that synthetic oils are acceptable and I prefer to use synthetic oil.

I run M1 10W-30 in the cooler times. However I cannot find synthetic 15W-40 in quart bottles, only in large bottles. To change both generators only takes 2/3 of a quart, total. I don't want to buy a large container of oil to haul around in my RV and it would take years to go through a large bottle.

What suggestions can anyone offer in the way of a suitable synthetic to use in hot (Oklahoma/Texas) ambient temperatures that is commonly available in quart bottles?

You could use a euro 0w40 or 5w40-- they come in quart bottles. M1, Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol...

My westinghouse (WGEN9500) came with a 1.2Qt bottle to fill it with. I just buy a 5 qt jug and leave it on the shelf and fill the 1.2Qt bottle to pour into the genny. Supertech or Kirkland is fine. Nothing special about this application requiring an aggressive additive pack.

M1 10w30 HM is a solid oil. Can’t go wrong with it for year round usage.

As mentioned, there is 0w40 and 5w40 quarts of euro and diesel oils, but I didn’t see any full synthetic quarts of 15w40 online. Looks like T6 15w40 is only available in the jug.

Buy a 5qt jug. Then refill any empty oil bottle and label it with what you put in it.
I refill an old Honda Power Equipment quart bottle and I put a gear lube spout top on it so I can easily fill my small engines. Easy Peasy.

Went over to NAPA and got a quart of 15W-50 motor oil. A bit heavier than what I wanted but we typically use the gennys when it the dead of summer....will go back to 10W-30 in the fall. Thanks...

I used NAPA 15-40 universal fleet oil for years in my lawn equipment, 4 stroke outboard (well over 600 hrs) and some older vehicles. Never once had a problem and Blackstone reports always came back good. Its non syn but I'll bet there is something close. Also used Super tech from Wallyworld with excellent results. It's made by Warren Performance Products.

My westinghouse (WGEN9500) came with a 1.2Qt bottle to fill it with. I just buy a 5 qt jug and leave it on the shelf and fill the 1.2Qt bottle to pour into the genny.
This is a good idea. Or else purchase a funnel with a long filler neck. The type used to fill transmissions. They're tall and long enough to where you can easily fill the generator from a 5 quart jug. I'm done buying 1 quart bottles of oil. The price per quart is ridiculously high when compared to a 5 quart jug.

And as was said, you can keep a few empty 1 quart bottles if you choose, and simply relabel them.

This is a good idea. Or else purchase a funnel with a long filler neck. The type used to fill transmissions. They're tall and long enough to where you can easily fill the generator from a 5 quart jug. I'm done buying 1 quart bottles of oil. The price per quart is ridiculously high when compared to a 5 quart jug.

And as was said, you can keep a few empty 1 quart bottles if you choose, and simply relabel them.
The point in saving the factory fill bottle is to be able to easily measure the correct amount of oil and just dump it in.
I do this with my lawnmower. Fill the bottle that came with it and dump it in. Perfect fill, every time. No need to mess around checking the dipstick, adding oil, repeat.

Back