The cummins shake at shutdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I took this girl on a date (if you can believe that)

Tell us more about this female...how did you meet? are you still seeing her?
I recall you were having some issues in this area before.
I'm pleased to hear of your success
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
I took this girl on a date (if you can believe that)

Tell us more about this female...how did you meet? are you still seeing her?
I recall you were having some issues in this area before.
I'm pleased to hear of your success
thumbsup2.gif

X2 !!!

The Cummins sounds and smells so much better than the other two, I don't even notice any shaking
thumbsup2.gif

The OM617 in my benz stops abruptly, like I let the clutch out in 5th. No chirp though.

The four cylinder Benz diesels we had in our 123s had a definite shake on shutdown, although they did stop pretty abruptly.
They also shook gently at idle, more so when cold.
At anything above idle speed they were very smooth even though they were large displacement fours with none of that balancer shaft nonsense.
At speed, they had a wonderful muted mechanical note.

Originally Posted By: dustyroads
My Freightliner (with a Detroit) has a start/stop system for maintaining cabin temp, oil temp and battery charging. It's supposed to "burp" (for lack of a better word) the Jake Brake when shutting off. It makes the engine stop quick and smooth. Unfortunately, it doesn't always work and shuts down with the typical shake of the truck.

It really is a dramatic difference and nice when the Jake stops it quickly.

That's how the newer Freightshakers are at work too. The newest ones coast to a pretty much silent/smooth stop. The older ones and some of our old yard horses you can feel the flywheel rock back and fourth a few times as it stops on s/d.

I hear buses with the Cummins shudder on shutdown - but the newer hybrid buses or ones with Voith trannies(even though they are a weird design with the torque converter/retarder in the middle of the tranny between the input and output shafts) seem to shudder less on shutdown.

The Detroit S60s seem to clank their way to a stop.

Originally Posted By: PumpPusher
My Cummins 6.7 and Powerstroke 7.3 both shake as well as every diesel big and little I've driven.

They do but not nearly like a cummins does.
The V8 balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back