Police Sportster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Not sure why a police dept. would even want one.

My guess is it's got 7:1 pistons from way back in the day.
Police often drive rather slow, and the heat build up would
quickly kill a regular sportster engine. Perhaps a smaller carb
or FI body.

My 2¢

Mechanically, it is an unmodified 883 Super Low. Why they'd want one? Well, it's probably a lot easier to maneuver in a city than a Road King! (Offhand, DC Metro uses them.)

I was going to say I saw Police Sporty's in DC.It was about 2 or 3 years ago. Seems to be the right choice for the job. Smaller , lighter, a bit more nimble for tight city maneuvering, don't get as hot as the big twins would in no moving situations, and most of all, cheaper to buy.,,,

https://mpdc.dc.gov/release/mpd%E2%80%99s-motorcycle-unit-gears-58th-presidential-inauguration

When I was in DC for the Rolling Thunder event in May, the DC Metro police were riding Harley FLHTP Ultraglides. Maybe they switched over from the Sportys, or the Ultras are for parade or special events IDK.

Last edited:
cap3a.jpg

They got them in 2007. LINK

Dc used to run sidecars on their big bikes thru the winter. More stable. They said they had to phase them out due to Harley not making them any longer, and they won't fit the newer frames. I'd buy one if they have any leftovers.,,,

I've got an earlier 1200. My bud has a nice 883. I'd like to get his bike because it's so smooth and nice. I'll be selling my 1200 next spring. And I'll be looking for a nice 883.

I run RK shocks on mine. But, Honda CB900 had the same Showa shocks with lighter springs. So you can use the air pressure and have a decent solo ride w/o the bags.

If I was looking for a new Sporty, it'd be that one. I don't need a coffin tank. More gallons is nice out in the west where gas can get far apart ...

That's a sweet looking solo tour bike. HD forward peg set so you can move your feet around as needed, and a decent windshield - your ready to fly
laugh.gif

I love Sporties myself and this idea of them being bikes for women is hogwash. Around here, the women ride anything from a Heritage on up. See very few women on a Sportster.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
That is a utilitarian Harley with a whopping 42 horsepower. A Toyota Camry V6 can outrun that.

The only vehicles they'll be running down with these things are mopeds...

Our dept fields four motor officers and the only model they buy is the police version than looks like a Street Glide, maybe the Electra Glide. Reason given by the experienced motor officer who instructs and trains new motor officers throughout the region (they host a new motor officer training program annually), is rider safety. To quote his reference to other motorists regarding the motor cop in traffic, "They'll look right through a Road King..." and going on to say the size and frontal cross section of the fairings adds visibility to catch the eye of the public in traffic which contributes to rider safety for the motor officer.

While making an interesting ride for civilian leisure use, for the above reasoning proffered by an experienced motor officer/instructor I'd think most departments would shy away from the 883 and want to purchase the larger Electra Glide or Street Glide version of Police Specials.

When you consider all cities have different traffic dynamics, Sportsters make a more maneuverable, cheaper alternative to a full dress Harley. Narrow streets with gridlock traffic , and crowded sidewalks is where they shine. The wouldn't be preferable for highway pursuits or patrols but fast response in tight areas, only a scooter might get you to the scene faster.,,,

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
When you consider all cities have different traffic dynamics, Sportsters make a more maneuverable, cheaper alternative to a full dress Harley. Narrow streets with gridlock traffic , and crowded sidewalks is where they shine. The wouldn't be preferable for highway pursuits or patrols but fast response in tight areas, only a scooter might get you to the scene faster.,,,

Exactly. Each bike has it's place. Inner city/heavy urban area, the 883 is a great size bike. May never see over 55 mph with a lot of low speed maneuvering, starting and stopping. Plus you can buy like 10 of these vs what, 6 of the larger HD bikes?

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
That is a utilitarian Harley with a whopping 42 horsepower. A Toyota Camry V6 can outrun that.

The only vehicles they'll be running down with these things are mopeds...

Which might matter if I actually cared. It will easily run well past the highway speed limit anywhere in the country.

Harley haters have mostly never ridden one... They re-spout text book knowledge about what works, or goes faster, or whatever... What they can't explain away is how Harley is still in business and still has loyal customers who enjoy their product for over 100 years now
smile.gif

Most of the oriental makers have not even been in business that long, leave alone been able to build bike that works well in USA riding environments ... Some of the euros have been around close to that long, but still have not got the USA ride down pat ...

WYO is a long ways across, ditto NEB and others. Saddle time measured in multiples of 8 hours is not something most folks contemplate with their bikes. Lots of Harley riders do cross country tours, just for the heck of it
laugh.gif

Many things these days is nothing but the blue parrot saying what the green parrot squawked …

Don’t know how many “rags” all had to cry how complicated Ford’s touchscreen is … never was to me and I’m no pro techie or PC geek...

Do you like rock candy, but just for looking through?
Are you good at sneaking up on white men?
Do women think you are some kind of chief?
Do you like tepee living?
Ever known a drifter named Josey?

Originally Posted By: endeavor to persevere
The Harley haters on here will look for any little thing to bash Harleys over, while the real motorcyclist don't really care.

You guys are way too serious...lighten up Lenny!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back