Long life oil filters/change out time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: WellOiled
+1 SatinSilver...

This expression is a dead give away:
"That's what I would call one good looking filter. Those PUROLATOR filters are made tough!
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif
"

He has been fishing all day!!!
lol.gif

He has since changed his location to Russia and for occupation he states, Brain Surgeon.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
+1 SatinSilver...

This expression is a dead give away:
"That's what I would call one good looking filter. Those PUROLATOR filters are made tough!
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif
"

He has been fishing all day!!!
lol.gif

He has since changed his location to Russia and for occupation he states, Brain Surgeon.
lol.gif

I am from Russia. And, I took those brain surgeon lessons on the back of a Captn. Crunch box.

And, what's wrong with Purolator oil filters? I see a lot of people here using them. Heck, some even have tears in them but people just keep using them.
Has Purolator been notified about this?

I see Arkham Asylum failed, both in containment and proper re-pleating of grey matter, once again. Maybe the cause was addressed, but not the symptoms.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Well, to actually answer the questions,

Fram (and other filter manufacturers) does not recommend removing the filter to "drain" it. The gaskets are designed for one time use.
There are some that do remove them and re-install them, but again, not recommended.
The amount of oil in the filter is minimal (unless you have like a FL1A sized filter that holds around 3/4 qt, and those motors usually hold 7+ qts), so it really does not make a difference.

The Fram Ultra (and other full synthetic media filters) can last a long time.
Fram has a dual layer media (as do others, but some are single layer) that allows for ultra fine filtering as well as a long life without clogging up.

And yes, IMO, if you buy an Ultra and don't use it for at least 10,000 miles, you are wasting your money.
It is a filter that is designed (and real world use has shown to be accurate) to be used for 20,000 miles.

A Fram ToughGuard will filter just as well, has a silicone ADV, and is a few buck cheaper.
This filter is designed for 10,000 miles,
so many would say a waste at a 5,000 mile interval; although I think it is a great choice for a high filtration, shorter interval filter.

Or if you are only doing 5,000 mile changes, a regular orange can will suffice.

Why spend more on something that is the "best" when a less expensive product will do the exact same thing?

Thanks for the honest reply. I am not really sure yet what mileage this car will see but I am guessing likely around 5-6,000 miles a year, at most?
To alleviate my worries, I will use Fram Tough Guards or I'll see what the CarQuest premiums cost first then decide? I guess I am too old now as you'll never see this guy not change out a filter when I change my oil. I know it likely has/is being done more and more but I still can't wrap my head around the notion of doing that, even if the dirty oil in was dumped out.

I appreciate the info.
11.gif

Originally Posted By: CR94
Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
My current Purolator One costs me roughly .001158 cents a mile on a 6k OCI. ...

That's $6.95 for a regular Puro 1.
Please check your faulty arithmetic before posting.

Not faulty I bought 6 of them from Amazon for $6.95 last spring. They are now around $12 and off my buy list. Check your faulty assumption maker!
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: irv

Thanks for the honest reply. I am not really sure yet what mileage this car will see but I am guessing likely around 5-6,000 miles a year, at most?
To alleviate my worries, I will use Fram Tough Guards or I'll see what the CarQuest premiums cost first then decide? I guess I am too old now as you'll never see this guy not change out a filter when I change my oil. I know it likely has/is being done more and more but I still can't wrap my head around the notion of doing that, even if the dirty oil in was dumped out.

I appreciate the info.
11.gif

Just be aware that the Carquest filters are now made by Purolator, and their QC has been pretty substandard lately (as in the past 3+ years) having many filters tearing and ADV issues.

I understand your hesitance to use a filter for 2 oil changes.
But you need to know that Honda has been recommending using the same filter for 2 oil changes for a long time (and this is an OEM filter), and several other manufactures used to.
I swear Toyota used to, I know as a teen I did oil changes for a local pool service company, and they had 10+ toyota pickups that the owner said the owners manual said change the filter every other oil change, so I did, these motors went 300,000+ miles with no oil related problems on conventional oil and OEM filters every other change (and this was in the late 80's).

I appreciate the info.
11.gif

Just be aware that the Carquest filters are now made by Purolator, and their QC has been pretty substandard lately (as in the past 3+ years) having many filters tearing and ADV issues.

I understand your hesitance to use a filter for 2 oil changes.
But you need to know that Honda has been recommending using the same filter for 2 oil changes for a long time (and this is an OEM filter), and several other manufactures used to.
I swear Toyota used to, I know as a teen I did oil changes for a local pool service company, and they had 10+ toyota pickups that the owner said the owners manual said change the filter every other oil change, so I did, these motors went 300,000+ miles with no oil related problems on conventional oil and OEM filters every other change (and this was in the late 80's).

Thanks for the info.
cheers3.gif

I didn't know that CarQuest filters were now owned by Purolator, and their quality has gone down hill? I am currently running one in my 13 Ram Hemi, and have been since 2013. I get them from my buddy who works at CQ and when I found out, back then, they were made by Wix, I assumed they were likely an excellent filter. I have never torn one apart but I may just tear my current one apart in the spring when I plan on changing out my truck's oil?
As far as Fram goes, when I see them, despite currently using one in my wife's Impala, I still think of them as the "Orange can of death".
It's obvious, from the info I have read here, that they've up their game and that no longer applies. That is good to know!

Speaking of 2 filter oil change intervals, I believe this has been this way for a long time as well when it comes to Yamaha snowmobiles, and maybe other Yamaha engines?
With my Vector, and I know Apex's, it is written right in the manual that you can skip a filter change or do 2 oil changes using the same filter. It is easy, and right beside my drain hole on my Vector so I change it out every oil change but I know the Apex's is a pia, so some do skip it.

I am now going to look up what Fram filter I need for my Hemi doing a once a year oil change on it using Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 oil.
Thanks again for the info.
smile.gif

Fram (and other filter manufacturers) does not recommend removing the filter to "drain" it. The gaskets are designed for one time use.
There are some that do remove them and re-install them, but again, not recommended.
The amount of oil in the filter is minimal (unless you have like a FL1A sized filter that holds around 3/4 qt, and those motors usually hold 7+ qts), so it really does not make a difference.

Fram has a dual layer media (as do others, but some are single layer) that allows for ultra fine filtering as well as a long life without clogging up.

And yes, IMO, if you buy an Ultra and don't use it for at least 10,000 miles, you are wasting your money.
It is a filter that is designed (and real world use has shown to be accurate) to be used for 20,000 miles.

A Fram ToughGuard will filter just as well, has a silicone ADV, and is a few buck cheaper.
so many would say a waste at a 5,000 mile interval; although I think it is a great choice for a high filtration, shorter interval filter.

Why spend more on something that is the "best" when a less expensive product will do the exact same thing?

I appreciate the info.
11.gif

That oil filter you just threw out prematurely will operate better used than new in trapping contaminants.
Do you realize that when you change the oil, almost a quart of old oil remains inside the engine? So what's wrong with another additional 8oz of used oil, which most filters contain?

Why throw away money earned and pollute more landfills, when not necessary? That's like taking that $6 you paid for that Tough-guard and throwing it down the sewer.
Don't waste money you labored to earn.

The average engine holds five quarts of oil and your engine will never notice the additional eight ounces of old oil, nor will it shorten your next OCI. Plus, your filter operates better on the 2nd OCI with the same filter.

If it bothers you that much, unscrew the old filter - drain it and reinstall it. I do it constantly. It only takes a few minutes to drain it thoroughly, by tipping it over & back every minute or two. I keep a 2nd oil bucket for just emptying the old filter, prior to reinstallation.

Then wipe the exterior with a paper towel - oil the gasket again and reinstall it. Our garbage dumps will thank you someday, for the space-savings you created.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

I appreciate the info.
11.gif

That oil filter you just threw out prematurely will operate better used than new in trapping contaminants.
Do you realize that when you change the oil, almost a quart of old oil remains inside the engine? So what's wrong with another additional 8oz of used oil, which most filters contain?

Why throw away money earned and pollute more landfills, when not necessary? That's like taking that $6 you paid for that Tough-guard and throwing it down the sewer.
Don't waste money you labored to earn.

The average engine holds five quarts of oil and your engine will never notice the additional eight ounces of old oil, nor will it shorten your next OCI. Plus, your filter operates better on the 2nd OCI with the same filter.

If it bothers you that much, unscrew the old filter - drain it and reinstall it. I do it constantly. It only takes a few minutes to drain it thoroughly, by tipping it over & back every minute or two. I keep a 2nd oil bucket for just emptying the old filter, prior to reinstallation.

Then wipe the exterior with a paper towel - oil the gasket again and reinstall it. Our garbage dumps will thank you someday, for the space-savings you created.

What filter are you referring too, and please tell me, with your "So what's wrong with another additional 8oz of used oil, which most filters contain?" where do you draw the line, at an additional 10oz's, 15, 30?
21.gif

I don't know about where you live, but we have a recycling section at our local landfill. All the used oil and filters are placed in tanks and storage bins. Obviously, the oil gets recycled and the filters are crushed to squeeze out the remaining oil then they go to recycled metal. Other than the internal pleats, the majority of the filter is recycled as far as I know.

You mention, "Plus, your filter operates better on the 2nd OCI with the same filter". How is that known, have tests/analysis been done to prove that somehow, and if so, can you direct me to those?

Like I originally stated in my opening post, I am just trying to learn/educate myself about all this so show some forgiveness with my ignorance. I'm learning as I go here.
11.gif

You mention, "Plus, your filter operates better on the 2nd OCI with the same filter". How is that known, have tests/analysis been done to prove that somehow, and if so, can you direct me to those?
A filter (air or oil) filters better as the media loads up until the point of the media being fully loaded. Additionally, in the case of an oil filter, one has to consider how much sediment the canister can hold. This is why it is being stated that a filter can perform better on its second OCI provided both OCIs are reasonable and the engine has no major issues.

Search the UOA section, there are plenty of people here who use a filter for two OCIs or run extended OCIs--neither of which is going to show a problem due to a filter issue. A torn air filter will show more in a UOA (increased silicon) than a torn oil filter will.

Irv, I found this post regarding efficiency vs time.
Efficiency vs time chart.

It makes for a good read.

Thank you.
cheers3.gif

I know every application is different and whatnot, but I am curious, if an analysis hasn't been done on their 2 times around oil filters, how do they know, based on that chart in that thread, that their oil filters aren't nearing or already at the end of their lives? I guess most could be based on the amount of miles they have on it, and their UOA's but if that is the case, and the miles are low, then what stops them from going 3 times around saving them even more money?

Based on what I have learned, I am over filtered now with my wife's car as I won't reap the benefits of the current high mileage filter I currently have on it.
With that being said, after the next oil change, I will be switching to just a tough guard which, according to more educated/knowledgeable people on here than me, will be more than adequate for the OCI's I plan to do.
Like I mentioned, I just assumed, and I was wrong, BTW, that the more expensive the filter, the better the job that it does. I have learned that doesn't necessarily mean that, it means it just lasts longer.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback/info
cheers3.gif

Irv, the filter in the thread I linked is not a long life filter. I think it is a basic jobber type filter from the numbers in the chart.

2. There are likely UOAs done on Fram Ultras run for 2 OCIs on the UOA forum.

3. The people having the UOA done are looking at the metal wear. There is no appreciable difference between the wear rates for two OCI with a new filter each time and two OCI on a new long life filter:

Irv, the filter in the thread I linked is not a long life filter. I think it is a basic jobber type filter from the numbers in the chart.

2. There are likely UOAs done on Fram Ultras run for 2 OCIs on the UOA forum.

3. The people having the UOA done are looking at the metal wear. There is no appreciable difference between the wear rates for two OCI with a new filter each time and two OCI on a new long life filter:

Interesting.

Thanks for the info!
11.gif

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
April/May and Sept/Oct

That will likely be how my OC's go until the fall of next year (Oct, likely?) as I don't know the history of this car and if the oil was ever changed out?
Like I discovered when I changed the oil just last week, it hadn't been changed at all, only the filter had. With it's current oil and filter that I put in/on, I am looking forward to changing it out in the spring (Apr/May) as I want to see how it looks and I want to get another round of clean oil in there.
After another one in the fall, if all looks/sounds good, and depending on the amount of miles, I likely switch to an annual OCI/filter change.

Last edited:
I always change the filter every time the oil gets changed. Filters are too cheap to risk so I see no reason to leave them on. It's like taking a shower and putting your dirty shorts back on, just easier and feels a lot better to change 'em! FU is $8 at Walmart and I only change my oil every 6 months so that's a whopping $16 a year spent on filters!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back