10,000 miles on oil ? Think Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: WylieCoyote
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
On occasion engineers screw up. I recall reading about GM reprogramming OLM's a few years back to shorten the interval. I read here recently that Ford bumping up a grade on some of their engines. My suggestion is avoid blanket statements like a good synthetic oil can go 10K miles. In some apps it can, others it can't. If you want to stretch an OCI, or be sure your OLM is right get a UOA and know for sure.

This is what killed the timing chain and guides in my sister-in-law's Equinox. That engine sounded like a poorly-maintained diesel at startup. I no longer trust OLMs and just change it out at 5,000 miles. Well, except for the one in my 2011 Camaro which routinely starts reporting 20% oil life remaining before it even hits 5,000 miles.

Sounds like poorly designed engines.

Originally Posted By: WolverineSam
4000-5000 miles per OCI. And ALWAYS a new filter. Why run clean oil through a dirty filter?

Main reason would be to have better filtration. I know that shocks some people but as the filter partially loads, the efficiency increases. there is cost savings, too if you change every other interval.

Looks at the pics of filters here. Most look near perfect after 5000 miles, and still very functional after 10,000 miles.

(Of course if you have an "extreme sludger", this does not apply)

Originally Posted By: tig1

Glad someone else said it. If I had said it I would have been accused of bashing.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: tig1

Glad someone else said it. If I had said it I would have been accused of bashing.

Still plenty of time for me to be bashed.
28.gif

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
4000-5000 miles per OCI. And ALWAYS a new filter. Why run clean oil through a dirty filter?

Main reason would be to have better filtration.

I honestly don't understand this logic. If this is the case, it would make sense for you to go scoop up used filters at the dealership and put it on your engine for an extra OCI because it apparently filters better.

It would be a FREE filter on top of that as well, right?
33.gif

Originally Posted By: Artem
Originally Posted By: gfh77665

Main reason would be to have better filtration.

I honestly don't understand this logic. If this is the case, it would make sense for you to go scoop up used filters at the dealership and put it on your engine for an extra OCI because it apparently filters better.

It would be a FREE filter on top of that as well, right?
33.gif

Honda has, in years past, been lauded for their technical acumen. When they advocated thin oils, people gushed with approval. Honda calls for "every other" filter change. They know.

Besides Honda, I have read a technical paper, and its a proven fact filter efficiency increases with a partial load. Same for air filters.

As far as trying to voice a "straw man" argument for picking up filters out of the garbage, is well, just dumb. No idea how long any junk filters have been in use, probably dented by a removal wrench, tossed aside probably dented in the seal area, and wrenched off torn gaskets...and so on. No one would go for that. That was just not a serious statement.

When you change your oil there is oil left over that wasn't drained so what is the difference if there is a bit in the oil filter and you are using it again?

I for one change my filter every 2nd change and after an oil change without changing the filter the oil is clean on the dipstick.
21.gif

Yep I agree StevieC. I leave my oil filter on for 3 times. I think the air filter and clean oil matter more than the oil filter. As long as it is a good to very good oil filter.

I think the thing for alot of people is, without actually doing a UOA, or multiple for that matter, they just can't really gauge how their oil is holding up. In that case, wouldn't it better to just change it a little early? Maybe the manufacturer calls for 10k changes, so you change at 7k just to be safe. Nothing crazy like 3k intervals. In many cases, it pretty cheap insurance. Sure cars have oil life monitors, which have probably gotten worlds better. They can gauge based on temperature, engine load, idle hours, and time. But they can't know if an improper weight is used, or something that doesn't meet manufacturer specs.

On the filter topic, I sort of get the idea of keeping the filter on there longer. But what if the filter you are going to use for 15k miles has an internal defect you're not aware of? I just change the filters at each OCI. Buying filters in bulk comes out to about $5 a piece. over 200k miles that's $200. Drop in the bucket.

Last edited:
Some engines are harder on oil than others. Some drivers are harder on oil than others. You cheap out and push your oil because you are cheap. Then you get the bill for new timing chains. Doesn't seem like you've saved much money...

Oil is cheap. Engines are not.

Originally Posted By: FastLane
Some engines are harder on oil than others. Some drivers are harder on oil than others. You cheap out and push your oil because you are cheap. Then you get the bill for new timing chains. Doesn't seem like you've saved much money...

That's one way of looking at it. The other view is, why throw away something that is still perfectly fine? Would you do the same with toothpaste that is half full? Of course not.

I will say, though, most (if not all) experienced mechanics I know are hesitant to follow these long intervals. Many of them are still doing 3-5k OCIs.

Pretty much my thoughts, also. We're not talking about toothpaste here. We're talking about thousands of dollars and peace of mind and your way to work.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16

Pretty much my thoughts, also. We're not talking about toothpaste here. We're talking about thousands of dollars and peace of mind and your way to work.

Toothpaste is cheap, dental procedures are not. You should toss the tub for peace of mind.

Some engines are harder on oil than others.

I agree. Thats why I mentioned that known sludgers should not extend intervals on oil or filters.

Originally Posted By: MParr
The only thing I know about an Oil Life Monitor is how to reset it every 5,000 miles.
crackmeup2.gif
01.gif

Just look at the thousands of cars driving around with fast lube oils and filters.
Owners that never check the oil.
Cars using the wrong spec oil.
And somehow the roads are not filled with blown engines!
Engines can take a lot of abuse and keep going.
Most here worry too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back