AR-10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: billt460
A few other things I would mention with the .308 AR. If you stick with a DPMS / SR-25 type weapon, you'll have no trouble with magazines or parts. Bolt carrier groups, along with magazines, (Mag-Pul P-Mags), and charging handles are everywhere in the after market. I have the DPMS AR-10, and 2 Springfield Armory M1-A rifles. As well as 3 Ruger Mini 14's. And I prefer the AR over all of them.

As far as cleaning the M1-A. It is a PITA to take apart and clean compared to the AR. You have to be very careful not to get solvent or oil into the gas system. As it can get damaged by firing the weapon with any type of fluid in the system. And in some of the more expensive Super Match Models of the M1-A, they advise you not to remove the barreled action from the stock, unless it's actually necessary. This is because these rifles come glass bedded from the factory. And Springfield say's disturbing the action / stock bedding can have a negative effect on accuracy, by loosening things up too much. This makes proper cleaning an even bigger PITA. And all of the above also applies to the FNAR. Which is nothing more than a .308 Browning BAR with a plastic stock, and a box magazine attached to it. (Which are difficult to find, and ungodly expensive when you do).

Another thing with the M1-A, is you have to be careful with the type of ammo you shoot in it. It has the same action as a M1 Garand. And they don't like slow burning powders. The reason is because these type of loads will allow the action to cycle while it is under too much pressure. This can result in bent operating rods. You have to shoot loads that contain powders with mid range burn rates. There are companies like Hornady that make Garand and M1-A specific loads for these rifles. If you handload, you have to stay within these powder parameters, or it is possible to damage the rifles operating system. Many of the newer loading manuals list specific loads for the Springfield M1-A.

While there are some piston operated AR platform .308 rifles. Most of them are direct impingement gas operated. This allows a much broader spectrum of loads to be safely used. Without having to worry about the gun. In fact, I can't think of a single factory load that I would be concerned about shooting in a direct impingement .308 AR platform rifle.

There are so many nice .308 AR's currently available out there today, you can have one in most any type or configuration you want. From a short barreled carbine, to a 20" barreled long range target rifle, with high powered optics. And most anything in between.

Do you have the DPMS G1 or G2?

Has it been reliable?

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Do you have the DPMS G1 or G2? Has it been reliable?

Mine is the older AP-4 Carbine Model. And it has been very reliable with every brand of ammo, or handload I've ever shot in it.

Originally Posted By: billt460

Mine is the older AP-4 Carbine Model. And it has been very reliable with every brand of ammo, or handload I've ever shot in it.

thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
^ Good to know. Thanks.

Also good information about the M1s being a PITA to clean. I have a Mini-30, and I don’t consider it a huge ordeal to clean, but it’s not simple either. Guess the M1 is about the same.

The M1 Garand isn't a pain to clean, unless you over clean it all the time. The M1A is the same. Round for round, I spend less time cleaning a Garand than I do an AR.

The M1/M1A action is greased, and the gas stays in the gas cylinder. So, it stays clean and lubricated for a long time. If you shoot it, even a hundred rounds, then all it needs is the bore brushed and swabbed. Repeat every time you shoot it, and when it gets to a thousand rounds, or perhaps every year, then field strip, clean and grease the action.

Guys over clean the Garand, and it does compress the stock each time the action is reseated, so you want to minimize that, but the only dirty part is up front, where the gas escapes from under the hand guard, so it really doesn't need to be field stripped and cleaned that often.

^ Good to know. Thanks.

Also good information about the M1s being a PITA to clean. I have a Mini-30, and I don’t consider it a huge ordeal to clean, but it’s not simple either. Guess the M1 is about the same.

I should rephrase that. It's not so much the Garand type weapons are so difficult to clean. It's the fact the AR platform is so EASY to disassemble and reassemble in comparison. I doubt she could do this with a Springfield M1-A, or Mini 14.

Thinking about just going with an M&P 10 and being done with it. Heard nothing but good things.

$1300 with free shipping from Bud’s Gun Shop. Anybody know of cheaper?

Anybody seen the "new" M&P 10 Sport? Or own one?

They're going for around $900 plus delivery/transfer. Only difference I can discern from the standard M&P 10 is the 16" barrel vs. the 18" on the standard model.

Not a ton of reviews since it really just came out last fall, but I've yet to hear anything really negative.

I know a couple of y'all have the DPMS .308 carbines. This looks to be very similar.

I like the fact that S&W is a big company and tends to have a pretty good rep for standing behind their products.

Only real negatives I can see immediately is that it doesn't come with iron sights and only includes one magazine. Other than that, it seems to be a lot of rifle for the $.

I will say, shooting 716 and then M4 back to back, the M4 is far more enjoyable to shoot. That plus the cost (per round) would make me recommend not going AR-10. I got one for a killer deal. But if I was buying something to stop money from burning a hole in my pocket, I think I'd look at an M1A first.

I got my first AR-10 from PSA about five years ago. It had a too tight chamber and gave me lots of trouble. I sent it back, and they fixed it. No problem after that. I had to sell it later on, though. I needed the cash.

Recently I built a new one, and it works perfectly. I’ve got my .308 and .223 loads perfected, and want to try something new. I hate jumping on bandwagons, but I found a good deal on a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel.

I wouldn’t dream of shooting it if I didn’t handload. The cheapest I’ve seen is 85 cents a round! I already have the powder and primers. I’ve even managed to convert .308 brass to 6.5. The only thing I’ve had to buy is the bullets.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I will say, shooting 716 and then M4 back to back, the M4 is far more enjoyable to shoot. That plus the cost (per round) would make me recommend not going AR-10. I got one for a killer deal. But if I was buying something to stop money from burning a hole in my pocket, I think I'd look at an M1A first.

Yeah, M1As are very cool. My cousin just bought one in the 18" barrel variety (M1A Scout Squad) a while back. He’s in the National Guard and the history of the rifle really appeals to him. He got the one with the synthetic stock; personally I would have gone walnut, but the synth will be impervious to the elements. Plus he got a good deal on it.

I have a Ruger Mini 30 that sorta scratches my itch for an M14-style rifle. I really like my Mini 30.

I’ve wanted a .308 battle rifle for a while now (actually since around 2005 when I bought my Mini; I couldn’t afford $1500-1600 for an AR-10 back then). And, an AR-10-style .308 just seems to make the most sense, from a lot of different perspectives (accurate, simple, reliable, easy to clean). And pretty affordable now, with this M&P 10 Sport. Plus, even though there’s no Milspec STD. for AR-10s, there is still plenty of aftermarket support for them. And there will be more to come in the future.

Originally Posted By: Ws6
I had an sr25 acc mlok. "Meh" and sold, about sums that up.

ACC?

https://www.smallarmsales.com/SR-25-E2-ACC-16-Light-Profile-Barrel-URX-4-M-LOK-p/31893.htm

Whoa...

You must not be easily impressed! Or, did you find it to be not worth the money?

It was very reliable, but accuracy was finicky. Ultimately, I felt I didn't need a .308 for anything, and it didn't impress me, so I sold it.

It was very reliable, but accuracy was finicky. Ultimately, I felt I didn't need a .308 for anything, and it didn't impress me, so I sold it.

Man. That’s disappointing in a very high-end rifle like that.

It came with basically concierge service from KAC, as well. I just don't keep guns like that. If it's finicky, it's finicky, and I don't do finicky in any way. I could probably buy another one and it would be exactly what I wanted, but instead I bought a Benelli M4 Entry model with a C-stock and am throwing an Aimpoint H2 and Surefire M300 on it.

It came with basically concierge service from KAC, as well. I just don't keep guns like that. If it's finicky, it's finicky, and I don't do finicky in any way. I could probably buy another one and it would be exactly what I wanted, but instead I bought a Benelli M4 Entry model with a C-stock and am throwing an Aimpoint H2 and Surefire M300 on it.

Yeah, for that kind of money, there shouldn't be anything finicky about it.

Yeah, for that kind of money, there shouldn't be anything finicky about it.

It's a machine, they can have flaws and all. The other half of the equation is that I moved, and 100 yards is now my longest shot, so...why? KAC would have taken care of it at zero cost, no questions, no problems, I just was ready to move on, and it wasn't exactly what I expected, so I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back