Viscosity Index 180
Sulfated Ash, wt% (ASTM D874) 1.3
Phosphorous, wt% (ASTM D4951) 0.1
Flash Point, ºC (ASTM D92) 231
Density @15.6ºC g/ml, (ASTM D4052) 0.85
Total Base Number (ASTM D2896) 11.8
MRV at -35ºC, cP (ASTM D4684) 29,244
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150 ºC (ASTM D4683) 4.4

5w30 synthetic is a very good oil for your daily driver application. No need for xw40 or xw50 unless u are racing the truck

To revisit this, I ended up going with M1 0w-40. About the only difference I've noticed is mpg has dropped a good 3 mpg when cold (short 30 min trips) and about 1-2mpg on a good long trip where the oil temp is at 220. Since winter is coming, I'm wondering if I should switch out to a thinner oil as I can't get out of my heard that less mpg = more wear though I keep reminding myself it's due to the thicker weight only. I was looking at M1 AFE 0w-30, Amsoil SSO 0w-30 and Redline 0w-30.

I've heard RL is the absolute best, but not very good at OCI's longer than 5,000 miles. So far following the OLM my changes have been around 7k miles, so if I want to go the RL route, I'll need to ignore my OLM (Annoying, but not a deal breaker). Also I've heard M1 AFE 0w-30 doesn't have nearly as good of an additive package as the 0w-40(though I don't quite understand this), so that doesn't make sense. That leaves me with Amsoil SS0 which looks to do pretty good with a Vis @40 of 58.2, Vis @ 100 of 10.5, a VI of 171, and HTTS of 3. How does the additive package stack up and should I have any fear of this oil not holding up to 700hp as needed? I don't intend on using the huge 10k+ miles OCI's but would changing this oil at 7k miles be a huge waste?

How did you pick up 200 HP from the first thread? I scanned the other threads but didnt catch that sorry.

You aren't sustaining 500 and certainly not 700 HP for any real length of time unless you are towing in the mountains.

30 grade will be fine for street use and frequent but short runs up the tach on boost - towing through the mountains in the summer- sure grade up.

I run M1 0-40- in my 700HP marine V10 but it has to lay out tons of beans for long durations, you wont run a street car that hard ever.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UncleDave
How did you pick up 200 HP from the first thread? I scanned the other threads but didnt catch that sorry.

You aren't sustaining 500 and certainly not 700 HP for any real length of time unless you are towing in the mountains.

30 grade will be fine for street use and frequent but short runs up the tach on boost - towing through the mountains in the summer- sure grade up.

I run M1 0-40- in my 700HP marine V10 but it has to lay out tons of beans for long durations, you wont run a street car that hard ever.

UD

I got the horsepower bug bad and I probably forgot to mention the updates. I've added a couple more pounds of boost, better intake/exhaust, and a boost actuated progressive methanol injection system. I do tow a couple enclosed trailers up to 6000lbs with this truck (the poor stock transmission), but I have all the power I need below 3,000 rpms and am nice and easy with the throttle when I do.

Originally Posted By: Thetruck454
To revisit this, I ended up going with M1 0w-40. About the only difference I've noticed is mpg has dropped a good 3 mpg when cold (short 30 min trips) and about 1-2mpg on a good long trip where the oil temp is at 220. Since winter is coming, I'm wondering if I should switch out to a thinner oil as I can't get out of my heard that less mpg = more wear though I keep reminding myself it's due to the thicker weight only. I was looking at M1 AFE 0w-30, Amsoil SSO 0w-30 and Redline 0w-30.

I've heard RL is the absolute best, but not very good at OCI's longer than 5,000 miles. So far following the OLM my changes have been around 7k miles, so if I want to go the RL route, I'll need to ignore my OLM (Annoying, but not a deal breaker). Also I've heard M1 AFE 0w-30 doesn't have nearly as good of an additive package as the 0w-40(though I don't quite understand this), so that doesn't make sense. That leaves me with Amsoil SS0 which looks to do pretty good with a Vis @40 of 58.2, Vis @ 100 of 10.5, a VI of 171, and HTTS of 3. How does the additive package stack up and should I have any fear of this oil not holding up to 700hp as needed? I don't intend on using the huge 10k+ miles OCI's but would changing this oil at 7k miles be a huge waste?

The 0w40 has more zinc and other additives vs theM1 AFE. Has to do with API SN allowing more zinc for 40 and up.

For your application I'd stay with the 0w40 for a margin of safety when you get on the throttle.
If you go down to a 30 stick with something on the thicker end.

For the power density of that engine you need to stay on the thicker side of life if you plan to use the power. If not and you want mpg the 0w30 is a great choice. The M1 5w-30 is slightly thicker, with M1 HM 10w-30 coming in just under the 0w40

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jj51702
Supercharged silverado? Lol why

Same reason you can rudely voice your opinion, simply because I want to and I can.

Well there is one more reason, every day it puts a smile on my face, especially when I put my foot into it.

Now let's all get get back to the positive discussion that was happening before you posted.

Last edited:

Same reason you can rudely voice your opinion, simply because I want to and I can.

Well there is one more reason, every day it puts a smile on my face, especially when I put my foot into it.

Now let's all get get back to the positive discussion that was happening before you posted.

Sorry, I should have known u were a badazz from ur username. Enjoy ur race Car/truck with "the same block as a c7 corvette" lol

Yes he just doesn't get that answer. When his mother catches him on her computer again you'll her him screaming LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back