Brought home this beauty (new half-ton Sierra)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick Update: The truck has been great, no issues so far. I did learn something interesting this weekend. The window sticker and the sales person both said the truck had the 6 speed transmission, however this past weekend I found out it actually has the 8 speed. Just goes to show you can't trust the car salesman to know what they're talking about.

I had a coworker with a Sierra; it was a 2016 truck I think. He complained about the transmission's unsmooth shifting. I hope yours is better.

Every now and again it has a hard shift into second gear. Car makers have been making torque converters lock up faster these days to get better MPG, so nothing really has that 90's smoothness anymore with the exception of a CVT (but that has it's own drawbacks).

Check your transmission fluid level when it's hot. Sometimes they get delivered low. Same for the front 'n rear diff & transfer case, fill so you can just touch the fluid with your pinky finger, or about an inch below the fill hole.

The 8L90E is supposed to improve fuel economy about 5% or 1 mpg.

Congrats! Nice truck. I wanted one like this but settled for a Certified 2012 GMC Sierra SLT with 24,000 miles back in December!

Originally Posted By: glock19
After searching for used half-tons for a few months I finally bit the bullet and bought a new truck. So far this has been the most comfortable and fully loaded vehicle I've ever owned (it's also my first V8). Below is the pros and cons lists I made after researching/test driving each of the trucks. Hopefully this thread can help other people looking into buying a half-ton.

Competition
  • Tundra - Felt dated in the drive-train and the interior. It also gets the worst gas mileage.
  • Ram - I know I'm probably doing myself a disservice here but I can't get over reliability concerns. I also don't care for the exterior design.
  • Titan - Exact same as the Ram. I'm not sure about reliability and I don't care for the exterior design.
  • F150 - Didn't care for the interior. Also, I could avoid the turbos with the 5.0 but I couldn't avoid the aluminum body.
  • Silverado - I don't like the exterior as much as the Sierra and I couldn't get a similarly equipped Silverado for the same price as the Sierra.

Pros
  • This pepperdust metallic color is easy to keep clean
  • Incredibly quiet cabin
  • Non-black interior (I love the cocoa dune color)
  • Bose sound system is surprisingly good
  • Android Auto/Apple Carplay (I can finally use Google maps on my head unit)
  • Heated and cooled seats
  • V8 is smooth
  • Big back seat that easily fits a carseat
  • Really smooth ride
  • Line-X bed liner from the factory

Cons
  • Transmission can be jerky before it's warmed up
  • It's the biggest vehicle I've ever owned and I can definitely tell when I'm parking it
  • Lane keep assist (it's easily turned off, but it's such an odd feeling when it's on)
  • Not as off-road worthy as the Tacoma, but should meet my needs

I like all gray cars and this one fits the bill. I like black interior material though.

Last edited:
Black exteriors looks the best, for about an hour after you wash them. Then not so much.
Interior? Depends on the color of your dog(s).

That's a big improvement over previous GM interiors, I can see why you like it. Congrats on the purchase! Hope it treats you well.

Good looking truck that should serve you well.
Sounds like you also got a pretty solid deal for as decked out as it is.
The interior does look nice. It seems that GM has gotten over the cheap-look dark hole charcoal interior look.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
How does it tow? Is it worth the added expense to get the crew cab over the extended?

I've only towed around 3,000 lbs, but it pulled that up the Appalachians (from 500 ft elevation to 3100 ft) no problem. As far as the cab configuration, it's a personal choice. I have a daughter with a monstrous car seat so it was definitely worth it to me.

I wont buy another GM vehicle with
cyl on demand...or VVT....

Worst thing they ever did to the greatest SB ever made was
add that garbage to them..The slew of dead LS engines is
astronomical

Originally Posted By: Excel

astronomical

Gm sells over 40,000 units a month (Silverado/Sierra) combined and while the early AFM motors had some issues (2007s) the number with issues are very small.

You can visit Autotrader or any other sites and see many high millage trucks.

You can also visit the other manufacturer truck boards for blown turbos-and diesel issues (supposedly well under the warranty time frame) that those manufacturers refuse to cover.

So-GM sells a half-million units a year for the past decade or so) and you say there are a "slew". Maybe define "slew".

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: Excel

astronomical

Gm sells over 40,000 units a month (Silverado/Sierra) combined and while the early AFM motors had some issues (2007s) the number with issues are very small.

You can visit Autotrader or any other sites and see many high millage trucks.

You can also visit the other manufacturer truck boards for blown turbos-and diesel issues (supposedly well under the warranty time frame) that those manufacturers refuse to cover.

So-GM sells a half-million units a year for the past decade or so) and you say there are a "slew". Maybe define "slew".

Every truck has drawbacks, so I bought what I liked. I have owned a lot of Toyotas in my time so I wanted to switch it up and go with an American manufacturer. GM and Ram both have cylinder deactivation, and Ford uses turbos and aluminum bodies to get better MPG. In my eyes it was a wash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back