2000 bonneville trans filter change

Status
Not open for further replies.
getting ready to do this. what's the recommending fluid for this ? dex 6 or something else. car has 139.000 on it and works great.

Just go with Dex 6. You should do the Trans Go shift kit while you are in there. Will sharpen/crisp up the shifts and help clutch life.

When was it last done?

Maxlife dex/merc is the best way to go if you ask me, but DexronVI is the correct replacement fluid for the oem.

Try to get an allomatic filter online or the one from Napa if you can, lots of junk out there with poor fitment otherwise

Be careful, when those filters get old they get brittle and I've broken off the filters necks before and it was a pain to get loose. Just wiggle it until it comes out.

Maxlife is a great choice for your car. Or any Dexron VI ATF.

If your transmission doesn't have a drain plug, get the Dorman pan that has one. This will make future fluid changes much easier
smile.gif

I used a Lumina with that transmission for mail delivery. Maxlife, 20oz of Lubegard Red (thanks Trav) and a quality filter worked great. Edit: I used a NAPA filter.

Last edited:
would add a can of seafoam to the transmission (use some for the power steering), drive around for a few days, and then do a filter change + fill. i recommend amsoil signature atf. expensive, but worth it. works in the power steering as well.

I'm also about to do this as well, only for my '05 Impala. It's got the notorious hard shift when the trans reaches operating temp. I'm replacing the filter (went with the Wix from RockAuto), putting in Maxlife Dex/Merc Full Synthetic, putting in a TransGo Shift Kit, installing a retainer clip for the actuator tubing, inserting two more magnets and then putting on a Dorman pan (hope my experience is better than 901Memphis's). From everything I've read, the Maxlife Dex/Merc has worked really well in these transmissions.

Originally Posted By: JustN89
I'm also about to do this as well, only for my '05 Impala. It's got the notorious hard shift when the trans reaches operating temp. I'm replacing the filter (went with the Wix from RockAuto), putting in Maxlife Dex/Merc Full Synthetic, putting in a TransGo Shift Kit, installing a retainer clip for the actuator tubing, inserting two more magnets and then putting on a Dorman pan (hope my experience is better than 901Memphis's). From everything I've read, the Maxlife Dex/Merc has worked really well in these transmissions.

I had one of the Dorman pans and returned it because it looked slightly shallower than my original, anyway by dropping the pan, you can change the filter at the same time. On the 4T65E, I wouldn't do just a drain without doing the filter.

Oh I agree, I just don't want to mess with the hassle of trying to drain the fluid as I'm removing the pan. It would be easier to simply drain the fluid and then start removing the pan. However, this is an interesting problem. According to the dimensions, it should be the same but I'll have to look at it more closely once it's delivered. I'll be returning it if it is indeed more shallow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back