How long should wheels stay balanced?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ducked
So early balancing requirement is an indication of non-uniform construction, which MIGHT in turn be an indication of relatively poor quality.

Depends what you mean by "poor."
wink.gif

I'd certainly characterize it that way. The best tires rarely need re-balancing, and I rarely see the point of buying anything else; the marginal cost of those tires over inferior options is very small relative to most cars' total cost of ownership, but the performance and safety advantages are large. So yeah, I'd say a need for re-balancing generally suggests poor quality -- "poor" not in the sense of "worse than average", but in the sense of "worse than is usually worth considering."

To be fair, though, most tires are fairly likely to need re-balancing, including a lot of models that most people think very highly of -- like the General Altimax RT43, apparently, which might be the most frequently recommended single tire model here. So, if you go by most people's tire quality standards, the need for re-balancing is just part of the game and no indicator of poor quality.

Also, AFAIK, periodic balance checks are considered good practice for any car that will be driving at triple-digit speeds, even if you're using the best tires. Not sure how relevant that is here, but there it is FWIW.

Tires can develop "balance" issues due to irregular wear - which, in turn, is caused mostly by misalignment. I put the word "balance" in quotes because the result is mostly non-uniformity, not balance - and rebalancing a tire will help reduce the vibration, it doesn't eliminate it.

The problem here is that even a small amount of toe (within spec) will cause irregular wear in a tire. It just takes longer - AND - it's a matter of degree, rather than kind. Large amounts of toe generate irregular wear faster.

I'm also going to point out that "bad shocks" are frequently blamed for irregular wear, when the true problem is alignment. Radial tires are much more sensitive to toe than bias tires are, but there is a lot of "old school" knowledge that has been handed down that is based on bias tires (and less rigid chassis) that isn't accurate anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back