Is Beach area of DE still part of rust belt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
You can throw around all the indignation you want. Bottom line it's true. I like cutting through the baloney.

It's different in a lot of ways down in the deep south. You don't want to be gay down there either.

You don't want to look at someone the wrong way either. It's a harsh human environment. I grew up in Louisiana so I have some personal experience with this. They're just now changing some of the Mardi gras pecking orders. You couldn't ride a float unless your great grandfather owned slaves.

Then MS and AL are way worse.

I know. I know. I'm way off base. I just know I never want to live down there ever again in this lifetime.l

I suppose it's equally true that condescension increases the farther North one goes...right?

I won't sugar coat it...self-righteousness seems to be coming from the Northerners in this thread. The Northerners, who don't live here, "know" that people in the South are racist.

Virtus Probi "knows" it. You "know" it. The OP "knows" it.

Funny how people in one region of the country (where I was born and grew up, by the way) just "know" that folks in the South are, what, deplorable? Racist?

Not up to the high standards of tolerance in their region?

Which they demonstrate by stereotyping (which IS being intolerant) of the southerners?

Really?

Having been born in Connecticut, but having lived in another country, as well as the West, Texas, the deep South, and now the Mid-Atlantic, I can say from experience that it's unfair to stereotype people in a region.

Donald, if you didn't want this to turn into a discussion of how Southerners are racist, then why did YOU bring it up at all?

Well last I looked, NY does not have any Confederate statues and people who are [censored] they are being removed.

I am not making any blanket statements about every person who lives in a particular state or area. But I feel in percentages there would be more people who might be considered racist in the deep South than the North.

I will say this... My good white friend lived in Atlanta for a year and a half. He got treated so badly by inner city people that he came back using the rather offensive terms in speaking about them. And yes, I mean that offensive term. This coming from a fella who was on the one side of the ideological spectrum. I was completely floored by his using such terminology. Honest to goodness truth is that if this guy's ideology was on the other side of the spectrum I would not have been shocked. But, being that his way if thinking was from the opposite side of that made his reaction and way of talking about those people in Atlanta truly shocking and surprising to say the very least. Goes to show.... Intolerance, ignorance, preconceived ideas, being nasty for no good reason other than someone's else's phenotype is not just relegated to one group of people. ALL phenotypes, groups of people no matter how assembled share in this human failing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: Donald
Also we are a multi-racial couple. Cannot have wife live in an area where she would be uncomfortable. So that limits how far south we go.

That's one of the most offensive things I've read in a while.

You wouldn't fit in well in the South because of YOUR prejudice. Your attitude toward your potential neighbors is offensive.

They wouldn't like a smug, self-righteous, and frankly, ignorant "Yankee"

Perhaps you should stay in New York, where you can find false confirmation and social support of your bias against entire groups of people. You'll be a lot happier among people of "like mind". People who think "correctly".

You certainly don't want to move anywhere and have your preconceptions challenged.

Sheesh...

My wife notices racist things like looks or remarks that go right over me. This happens in NY as well as other places. I believe it happens all the time, and most white people never notice. My wife is offended by the confederate flag. It never was a big deal to me. But I see her point.

I did not mean to turn this into a discussion on racism.

A very well though out perspective, and you are right and wise to put a priority on your wife's sensibilities. I'm sure there are areas all over the place where she wouldn't be comfortable, rural central PA where I live, for example. It's not up to anybody else to dictate where your wife SHOULD be comfortable, regardless of the issues or the causes. Too many people have tunnel vision.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I will say this... My good white friend lived in Atlanta for a year and a half. He got treated so badly by inner city people that he came back using the rather offensive terms in speaking about them. And yes, I mean that offensive term. This coming from a fella who was on the one side of the ideological spectrum. I was completely floored by his using such terminology. Honest to goodness truth is that if this guy's ideology was on the other side of the spectrum I would not have been shocked. But, being that his way if thinking was from the opposite side of that made his reaction and way of talking about those people in Atlanta truly shocking and surprising to say the very least. Goes to show.... Intolerance, ignorance, preconceived ideas, being nasty for no good reason other than someone's else's phenotype is not just relegated to one group of people. ALL phenotypes, groups of people no matter how assembled share in this human failing.

Very good post. Tunnel vision affects way too many people. Everybody wants to blame the "other side", whatever they perceive that to be. It's terrible what your friend experienced, it shouldn't happen to anyone but it does,to too many people. I also had bad experiences in that particular city, race wasn't an issue in my case though. And if he was uncomfortable there, that's quite understandable and he was wise to move away, and nobody should tell this person what he "should" be comfortable with, just like the OP's spouse. And when this kind of stuff happens it damages a person, so I can understand why people wish to avoid it for themselves or loved ones, just like OP. His use of "language" is really insignificant IMO, actions and behavior mean much more,and I hope he didn't condemn many for the actions of a few, although I can understand others have a different perspective that I may not be able to fully appreciate, and I personally can't envision myself ever using that word.

Last edited:
I have never encountered more open bigotry than in NYC and especially Boston. I mean decent, educated people openly using the most vile racial epithets imaginable in polite company. And not one person ever acting as if it was even out of the ordinary. While you can certainly find bigotry anywhere, I have never seen anything like that anywhere else in the country.

Depends on fog, wind, humidity and proximity to salt water, but in some places, the rust from the salt water can be worse than winter driving on salted roads in the rust belt. I have experienced this on the very east tip of long island, where roads are not often salted, but rust on vehicles can be severe.

Talk to the long time residents in the neighborhoods where you are looking.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
Depends on fog, wind, humidity and proximity to salt water, but in some places, the rust from the salt water can be worse than winter driving on salted roads in the rust belt. I have experienced this on the very east tip of long island, where roads are not often salted, but rust on vehicles can be severe.

Talk to the long time residents in the neighborhoods where you are looking.

Donald/OP
^^^^^ in case you didn't see it ^^^^^

Also i would recommend a small vacation, NOT ON WEEKENDS, preferably middle of the week so you can have an idea about what is going on there....
remember: early morning, morning, lunch, dinner, after dinner... look the area at all these times

Also find out if there are any special occasion the place changes (biker gathering, state chanpionship....)

Astro14,
[off-topic]
(I'm not trying to defend Donald, he's an adult and he can defend himself.)
We don't know what their or her experiences where, so we cannot really judge them.

Our family is planning a moving from Midwest to South, because of the good people we met in our exploring faze.
You interact to flying customers, so you already know bigots and [insert really bad words] people comes in all sizes, colors and budgets....
I'm not US born, so I see things through a different prism...
And I got my lesson in humility, in Detroit of all places.
[/off-topic]

I suppose it's equally true that condescension increases the farther North one goes...right?

I won't sugar coat it...self-righteousness seems to be coming from the Northerners in this thread. The Northerners, who don't live here, "know" that people in the South are racist.

Virtus Probi "knows" it. You "know" it. The OP "knows" it.

Funny how people in one region of the country (where I was born and grew up, by the way) just "know" that folks in the South are, what, deplorable? Racist?

Not up to the high standards of tolerance in their region?

Which they demonstrate by stereotyping (which IS being intolerant) of the southerners?

Really?

Having been born in Connecticut, but having lived in another country, as well as the West, Texas, the deep South, and now the Mid-Atlantic, I can say from experience that it's unfair to stereotype people in a region.

Donald, if you didn't want this to turn into a discussion of how Southerners are racist, then why did YOU bring it up at all?

You have COMPLETELY mischaracterized my post, and I think you are getting more and more offensive with every word you type here.
All I said was that the OPer's wife should not live anyplace she feels she will not be comfortable and that she probably has a better idea of what it's like to be her than anybody else. I made no comments about the residents of any part of the country.
Astro14, I used to feel that you were one of the better and more interesting posters here, but you have now given me a lot of evidence that you are quite full of yourself and don't actually read what other people post. If you are actually a decent and thoughtful person, you are doing yourself a disservice with your tirades in this thread.

I hate to admit to some prejudice against the south; but I know it's there and do my best to avoid feeding such thoughts. It's not all banjos and BBQ and country music down there. I'm sure that if I were to give it a chance I'd find... normal people, just like I'd find anyplace else. I've found more than a few ignorant people in the north, and know where and who I want to avoid.

Truth is, you don't know what you'll find until you get some place, even ignoring the occasional crackpot. And of course, even in the best of places you need to have thick skin, 'cuz someone somewhere will always disagree with you.

If you want perfection,do yourself a favor and be unhappy somewhere else. If you want to live with laid-back people that should have "live and let live" as the state motto; COME ON DOWN!! I am a "Philadelawarian", and have been here a total of 20 years (or so) and it's so livable. I can't envision why I'd live somewhere else.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
If y'all haven't seen the top gear episode when they're in Alabama, you're in for a treat.

I still think that was staged. Supposedly it wasn't--but it's hard to believe.

Besides. Even if true, that was only one spot, with only one (very small) group of people. That'd be like comparing NYC residents to the rest of NY residents.

Lewes, De., very nice town. Very $$$$$$ shore area homes are. The summers, my opinion, are a living nightmare.

Stay in NY, we already are full of "Massholes" retiring down here in Delaware bringing their snob attitudes trying to turn it into the mess they left back in their home state.

As to your "Multi-Racial" thing or whatever, get over yourself as most do not care as your money is green and if you carry yourself like a civilized adult, the ones that may care will usually get over it. If you think the places other than the South are more tolerant to such thing, they just wag their tongues about it behind closed doors for the ones who have that hang up. It is not the 1950's anymore and quite watching reruns of Deliverance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back