Under valve cover pics 327,720 mile Toyota 22RE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: steve20
EXCEPTIONALLY clean nice of you to share the pics--thanks much

Steve

No worries. I thought some people here might enjoy seeing it. The engine was back in the truck last night and it's back running and driving today. Most importantly the pesky exhaust leak is now fixed.

It's charred on the outside, but is it pink in the middle ?

steak_FoodFireBlog-1000681.jpg

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
It's charred on the outside, but is it pink in the middle ?

steak_FoodFireBlog-1000681.jpg

Pittsburg medium rare

Last edited:
Ok, I think the engine can be saved.
First, fill it up with kerosene, and then drain it without turning the engine over. This will start the de-sludging process. Refill it with clean oil, run it for 3 minutes, and then drain again, and change the filter. Then refill the oil and add a can of Seafoam. Run the engine ragged for about half an hour, then drain it again and change the filter. Now check under the valve cover. Some of the sludge should have cleared out by now. This is good. Then refill the engine once again with kerosene, and drain it. refill with motor oil and a filter and then run the car for a 500 mile OCI. From now on you will need to run a cleaning synthetic oil, short OCIs, and a shock dose of MMO. After a year of this, you can gently transition to Rislone, then Lubro-Moly Liqui-Moly products.

lol.gif

Your routine is working well for you. One Question, why are you using a straight 30 Weight oil?

I think in Florida, you can use any oil you want in a 22R...and it'll be just fine.

Looks good Luke. If you can keep the frame from rusting (shouldn't be an issue in Jax) then 500K is a piece of cake. Seat upholstery, dash plastic, and headliner will all be gone...but that 22R will run forever on whatever oil you want.

Last edited:
Looks great! I haven't taken the valve cover off of my Accord, but from what I can see down the filler cap it looks nice and clean as well. When I took the valve cover off of my old Integra at around 120k with 5k dino oil changes since new, it was fairly clean, but not as clean as yours. Nice!

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Had the valve cover off the 4Runner for a routine valve adjustment so I took a few pictures. This engine has used conventional oil almost exclusively it's entire life mostly at 3,000 mile intervals. Last 2 oil changes were 5,000 miles on a home brew synthetic blend. Current fill is VWB SAE30.

Enjoy!

That is freaking beautiful!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back