What oil filters for customers cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What filters should I sell my customers? They usually want the most inexpensive filter. I can get Proline filters cheap but they are purolaters and I dont trust them. NAPA pro select are inexpensive.

STP is also inexpensive but many are Ecores.

Good stuff like Fram ultra and wix are out. My customers wont buy $20 filters.

Maybe I am over thinking this?

Overthinking for sure. People always want the cheapest, especially when it comes to their car maintenance. For a quick oil change, get the cheapest possible filter.

Who's your parts retailer? Have any AutoPlus stores near you? Their house brand AutoExtra is WIX and when bought in multipacks are very cheap.

Originally Posted By: redhat
Who's your parts retailer? Have any AutoPlus stores near you? Their house brand AutoExtra is WIX and when bought in multipacks are very cheap.
a-zone, pep boys. Orileys and napa. Cant buy multi packs because I may not see that type of car for a long time.

Last edited:
I'd at least buy multipacks for the most common filters. (and Im going to use fram sizes) PH2, PH16(can be used on PH8A), PH3506 (can be used on PH3675), PH3387 (can be used on PH3980), PH6607(Can be used on PH7317), PH3593, PH3614(Can be used on PH3600), PH10575 are all good movers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
A wide selection of inexpensive oil filters without having to buy multipacks sounds like Rockauto.com to me.

That's exactly what I do.

I do a lot of "Low-income" oil change charity work, and I stock a lot of random ones by thread size and gasket diameter (length or can diameter be [censored]).

The clearance filters from rock auto are often just a buck and change.
I bought a bunch of Casite (Hastings) FL-1A equiv for only $1.06 each!!

When I used to work as an Audi tech we had Chevy on the other end. I used to always buy my ac filters there. Until I got one for my ecotec that didn't come with an o ring. They actually had such an issue with price and little things like that being dropped that they got a full assortment of Pennzoil filters. I've only ran a couple of those but never had an issue. They were cheap and they didn't crush in. Without looking up data on the filters that's how I judged them. A cheap filter would normally be crushed in when I pulled it out to change it

No matter what you use, you won't please everybody. If you install a Wix filter and the price tag will be too high. If you install a Wally-World filter, you will be perceived as too cheap. I would say to get a jobber filter that your local part store carries. But once again, it's not something that I would put on my car.

Over thinking it.
Im actually using Purolator brand filters made for outfits such as yours, called "Purolator Tech" made to be sold to oil change places, same filter, no marketing and I think the name is more impressive to the customer then proline, but Proline is good.

The Purolator Tech model numbers start with "TL" I jsut bought a dozen for my wifes Mazda on ebay, cost $1.90 each shipped to my home from a private fleet place that was overstocked.
This is what they look like... Purolator Tech Filters

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oilmutt
Looking for cheap? Walmart super tech oil filters!
my boss wont let me stock up on filters and walmart is too far away to go grab one.

NAPA is probably the best compromise from all perspectives: price, quality, and customer perception.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back