Recommendations for Subwoofer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
I have a TC Sounds LMS-R 15" sub, I built the enclosure myself. Love it.

That's a rare woofer. The motor for those are sweet. There are alot of re-cone options out there if there was ever a need.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
... If you've got POWER ( 75-150wRMS 20-100hz , 0.1%THD) - go air suspension, closed box.

I agree with this portion of the above comment. Lots of RMS power, sealed box. IMO most people don't need anything bigger than a 10", unless the feeling of the vibration is what you're after. As for brand, just don't go with cheap junk from the big box store and you should be fine. Fans of "elite" gear will snicker, but I always had success with mid-level MTX subs. If I had more money to spend in my car audio days, I probably would have gone with Soundstream. The sound from the local Soundstream demo vehicle was very convincing.

As some one who is currently very active in IASCA Sound Quality, MECA Sound Quality, and is currently in first place for the season I would say that any 12" sub would be perfectly fine for you application. I say that because the OP is not a competitor but a casual listener. It will have the low end when you need it and you dont have to crank it to wake and neighbors. What kind of amp, and what are the specs on this amp? Willing to keep the 4 channel and add a second amp for the sub?

Some of the rude comments and misleading information being said in this thread is just ridiculous.

Here is my trusty old Hertz HX300 sub

Last edited:
IME that the sub, box and power are matched is more important than the actual brand, doubly true for just driving back and forth to work unless you listen to a Telarc digital recording (AKA Digital Cannons) of the 1812 overture on your way to work. Ive run Kicker C series, Infinity Perfect, Boston Pro and probably some I’ve forgotten. The only thing I never could get to sound right was a friends Bazooka tubes.

If you’re happy with the way the current system sounds, I’d add a crossover/amp/sub box or powered subwoofer.

Originally Posted By: stephenbrown22
JL audio........everything else is just junk

Spoken like a true Kool-Aid drinker...

Originally Posted By: dja4260
Originally Posted By: stephenbrown22
JL audio........everything else is just junk

As someone who competed nationally in SQL as well as SPL, you're 100% wrong.

JL makes a quality product. It would NOT be my first choice, nor my 10th choice.

You're number one priority should be the enclosure you're going to be putting a driver in.

My choice would be a properly built( fully resined), aero port box (plastic flared ports), and a Sundown Audio or Digital Designs driver.

Sundown and DD make awesome subs...I had a pair of Sundown 10s that were the best sounding subs I've had to date...

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
JL Audio has a Stealthbox line. They're subwoofers in enclosures that are custom-fit to each vehicle so they take up as little trunk space as possible. Might be worth checking if they make one for your car.

This. I would only ever purchase JL Audio. I used to do stereo installs.

JL's W6 and W7 are decent subs, but are overpriced...just as good, or better subs can be had for less $$$....

Small enclosure, low cost, sealed enclosure deep tight bass that will round out your music but nothing that will get you in trouble for your own hearing later on in life nor turn your vehicle into a target for thieves.

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TSSWX2502-Shallow-Mount-Pre-Loaded-Enclosure/dp/B00JQTU3QC ... sub
https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-GM-D8601-...oofer+amplifier ...amp

As a tinnitus sufferer, I can only admonish you to keep things reasonable for sound levels. I had 2 10" subs in my cars as a young adult and I can assure you it did not help as to where I am to today. Loud sound in a confined space is a recipe for future disaster. You only get your hearing once in your lifetime and everything you do to expose yourself to loud sounds has a cumulative effect. Something to ponder about.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Small enclosure, low cost, sealed enclosure deep tight bass that will round out your music but nothing that will get you in trouble for your own hearing later on in life nor turn your vehicle into a target for thieves.

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TSSWX2502-Shallow-Mount-Pre-Loaded-Enclosure/dp/B00JQTU3QC ... sub
https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-GM-D8601-...oofer+amplifier ...amp

As a tinnitus sufferer, I can only admonish you to keep things reasonable for sound levels. I had 2 10" subs in my cars as a young adult and I can assure you it did not help as to where I am to today. Loud sound in a confined space is a recipe for future disaster. You only get your hearing once in your lifetime and everything you do to expose yourself to loud sounds has a cumulative effect. Something to ponder about.

This is why I gave up the high end audio systems...I miss having it terribly, but I know I would miss my hearing even more if I hadn't given it up...

Wait until you're deaf then what will you wish? I am nearly deaf now.

I didn't even have a sub in my car (not my generation THANG) Just home stereo and live concerts, air tool in the garage.

I blame the live concerts
smile.gif
The guys wants a bit more bottom not to enter a boom, boom competition. 8" DVC or 8 in an air suspension box will do 35 HZ that's low enough. Everything else is just stupid racket.

Originally Posted By: dja4260
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
I have a TC Sounds LMS-R 15" sub, I built the enclosure myself. Love it.

That's a rare woofer. The motor for those are sweet. There are alot of re-cone options out there if there was ever a need.

DIY thread

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
I just put a JBL S2-1224 in a cheap sealed box from Walmart. At some point Im going to buy or build a box the right size, as it recommends a .75cuft sealed box and this one is 1 cuft. I threw a bunch of polyfil in to try and make up for the oversize for now.

The box being bigger is a good thing. JBL models their woofers for the smallest possible box. However you can go larger and it will be better. i have a 12 cubic foot ported box with just one 15" JBL GTI sub. Its for home theater and just about rips the drywall off the walls. The poly fill even simulates a slightly larger box. Again, a good thing for everything but absolute max power handling.

I've done car audio since the 70s. Last one I did was in my 72 Cutlass: MTX Blue Thunder in a non ported box, with a 500w Jensen amp. Do a portable enclosure so its easy to disconnect. 10" or 12" is fine. Ported enclosure is more efficient, but bass is not as tight. Remember, a 3db gain in speaker efficiency is about twice the volume at a given wattage. However, I dont do car audio much anymore: got a Cerwin Vega 2400 watt powered 21" stroker in the great room for home theater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back