Recommendations for Subwoofer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do any of you have aftermarket subwoofers installed in your vehicles? I have an aftermarket stereo in my Highlander, and have replaced the door speakers - Polk and Infinity, and also have a 4 channel amp driving them. I'm thinking of running the door speakers off of the Head-unit and bridging the amp, and adding a sub. I'm torn on what to get, and would prefer to leave my cargo space pretty much unchanged. I do not want to blow my doors off, but would like to add defined, deep bass. I've looked at powered subs, normal subs and Bazooka tubes.

Anyone have any recommendations or suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

JL Audio has a Stealthbox line. They're subwoofers in enclosures that are custom-fit to each vehicle so they take up as little trunk space as possible. Might be worth checking if they make one for your car.

I like JBL subwoofers. They have a many options and even a small single sub can do a lot. Their GTO series is awesome but got discontinued. They also make some enclosed and amplified all in one units. I once made some sealed steel enclosures for two GTO 8" subs and they really impressed me for how small the whole package was.

Originally Posted By: stephenbrown22
JL audio........everything else is just junk

As someone who competed nationally in SQL as well as SPL, you're 100% wrong.

JL makes a quality product. It would NOT be my first choice, nor my 10th choice.

You're number one priority should be the enclosure you're going to be putting a driver in.

My choice would be a properly built( fully resined), aero port box (plastic flared ports), and a Sundown Audio or Digital Designs driver.

Last edited:
I have a Kenwood powered sub on aftermarket Pioneer and it was all the help the four Infinity speakers needed.

Originally Posted By: stephenbrown22
JL audio........everything else is just junk

f291ccac95eec1942535475f65909a52_-i-should-laugh-or-facepalm-facepalm-meme_604-453_zpsi7witcmn.jpeg

How 'bout a woofer instead. There is little to NO sub bass in any music outside of simply miked live orchestra recording. single 8" DVC would be PLENTY big for a car. 12" are too big for most homes nevermind tin can Hondas. If you've got POWER ( 75-150wRMS 20-100hz , 0.1%THD) - go air suspension, closed box.

I have a JL bass package from Crutchfield. It supplies just the right amount of bass for me. It's a 10" and sounds great but a 12" might sound better.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
JL Audio has a Stealthbox line. They're subwoofers in enclosures that are custom-fit to each vehicle so they take up as little trunk space as possible. Might be worth checking if they make one for your car.

This. I would only ever purchase JL Audio. I used to do stereo installs.

My only real firsthand experience with JL Audio was a 10w7 I got as a gift. LOVED it.

I don't feel informed enough to comment on JL's rank vs. other brands. I mainly just think the Stealthbox line is a good fit (pun intended) for what OP described. I'm not aware that any other manufacturer does something similar, but if they do, that's probably worth a look as well.

2 Right sides of off front right side channel on amp.
2 Left sides of off front left side channel on amp.
Sub of off rear channels bridged on amp.

Sub choice is up to you. Listen to some.

I have this exact setup in my Polaris RZR 4 seater. Four 6.5 Powerbass in fiberglass door pods, and 10" Powerbass sub in a properly sized fiberglass pod behind the glove box. Kicker 4 channel Amp. Bluetooth controller, no headunit. All ran off my phone.
Its not audiophile stuff, but its for an open air offroad toy. And it does sound very good.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with JL other than higher prices for what you get. You can literally get the cheapest sub JBL makes and have quality sound. Sure the nicer ones are a little better. CS1214 $43.69 on Prime and another $30-40 for a pre made box and your there. The power your bridged 4 channel will put out will match an entry level JBL sub nicely and you will get good efficiency.

Well......I have two Gotham version twos...........they serve me well.......and cost a bundle..........they will make your pants leg move, and will lift a heavy Persian rug off the floor.........

Last edited:
I have a JL microsub CP108LG-W3v3 in my truck. Sounds pretty good, doesn't take up much space, and should work fine on the modest power you'd likely have available by bridging half of your 4-channel amp. There are certainly a ton of viable options, but that is one that I think would serve you very well.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

I've heard good things about these, too. You will be sacrificing a bit of performance for the appearance and convenience, however.

I just put a JBL S2-1224 in a cheap sealed box from Walmart. At some point Im going to buy or build a box the right size, as it recommends a .75cuft sealed box and this one is 1 cuft. I threw a bunch of polyfil in to try and make up for the oversize for now.
Amp is a discontinued Blaupunkt class D capable of 250W@4ohm and 300W@2ohm. The JBL is selectable so I have it set for 2ohm and Im running about 21 to 22 volts, with a few peaks around 24-25V.
For the amount of my trunk space Ive given up, Im really happy. Plenty enough to make people look.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back