10-10-10 vs 10-15-10 fertilizer for tomato

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems like most sources suggest 10-10-10 for growing tomatos. Would it make a whole lot of difference if I used liquid 10-15-10 instead, since that is what I already have available?

I doubt you will taste any difference between the two.

You could try an experiment and use the different fertilizers on different plants and see how they perform

My guess would be they do the same

If you're just planting them I'd get some black plastic landscaping fabric. Around here there is lots of fungus/ rot that bounces up from the dirt in rainstorms which ruins tomato plants.

5-10-10 works best for me, but I will use what ever I have available. I have used ammonium nitrate 34-0-0 after the tomatoes set heavy at one tablespoon per plant scratched in. Always keep a bag of ammonium nitrate because my corn rows love the stuff.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
my extension service says use 10 0 10 due to existing soil levels

I suppose I should have clarified this is for a tomato plant in a pot, using potting soil.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
5-10-10 works best for me, but I will use what ever I have available. I have used ammonium nitrate 34-0-0 after the tomatoes set heavy at one tablespoon per plant scratched in. Always keep a bag of ammonium nitrate because my corn rows love the stuff.

Yeah , you can just blow them out. Most fruit setting plants need nitrogen to fully develop the produce. The phosphate and potash are for plant stem support.

For foliar feeding Miracle Grow makes a 10-52-12 that you mix with water and spray on the leaves. Add some epsom salts for magnesium and some glycerin to help keep it wet on the leaves. It's the best for tomatoes.

Or you can water the plant with the mix but you don't need the glycerin.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
I've had good luck with Tomato Tone, but it's hard to get a bunch of tomatoes from a pot unless it's a big one 7-15 gallon size.

https://www.espoma.com/product/tomato-tone/

I have had feeder roots over four feet long, and those plants were extremely healthy. Containers just don't have enough room. Have had to cull way too many tomatoes grown in containers because of bottom rot. Calcium nitrate 15.5-0-0 lessened the bottom rot.

If I have to go back to containers again, I am going to use grow bags. Way more room for feeder roots, but not as pretty as a container.

Red soil cover has shown to improve tomato production. They make a red plastic ground cover just for this.

I like Tomato Tone. It gave plenty of tomatoes and eggplants last season.

When I'm out of Tomato Tone, I might try the Dynamite slow release from Home Depot.

Originally Posted By: Decherdt
Plants in Potting Mix will do better than in Potting Soil.

I miss wrote. What I'm using is Miracle-Gro moisture control potting mix.

I suppose it would depend on what the (s)oil base is ... Syn or dino?
it's a joke; get it?

Seriously though, I don't think that minor difference will attest in a growth differential; it's just not THAT much different.

Or maybe use 12-12-12; the semi-syn of the fertilizer world.

Oh my, I'm killing myself.
crackmeup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I suppose it would depend on what the (s)oil base is ... Syn or dino?
it's a joke; get it?

Seriously though, I don't think that minor difference will attest in a growth differential; it's just not THAT much different.

Or maybe use 12-12-12; the semi-syn of the fertilizer world.

Oh my, I'm killing myself.
crackmeup2.gif

DON'T YOU KNOW ANYTHING?

It is a DIESEL!

10-W-40 for you (10-10-10 and 10 drops of water twice a day)

P.S. do I need to send you a pillow for when you hit the ground from LOL or a keyboard cleaner?

Syn P.S.: Glad to have you back: You and Mola are low in the jokes factor.... Come one, we need more for this boring summer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back