Full synthetic has no benefit for combined sump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems more motorbike oil going to semi syn route rather than full synthetic for combined sump application. Wonder if all latest development of full symthetic make it too slippery for jaso ma2?

I'd put it more simply. Shared sump oil gets dirty quickly, so you should change it more often to eliminate the contaminants. This is likely to reduce the benefit (mostly longer OCI) of synthetic oil.

I don't buy it. I ran my 92 Honda CBR1000F SC24 over 200K on Castrol RS 10w60 which is a true synthetic, compression and wear were all within manufacturers spec for a new engine when I checked the parts with a micrometer, It needed the cam chain which stretched.
The accepted life expectancy of this engine is about 100K, the bike has over 300K on it now same engine.

BTW I did not extend the OCI.

Trav, which oil do you use now?

As far as I've seen in the PDS, only Power 1 Racing is a Group IV PAO oil, the others seem like a blend .... at least they are not clearly Group IV PAO in the PDS.

Originally Posted By: kr_bitog
It seems more motorbike oil going to semi syn route rather than full synthetic for combined sump application. Wonder if all latest development of full symthetic make it too slippery for jaso ma2?

No, fully synthetic oils are perfectly suited to pass JASO MA2 requirements including clutch friction. A lot of customers do not want to pay the cost of a full synthetic which is why semi-synthetics are generally more popular.

Originally Posted By: alex_at
Trav, which oil do you use now?

As far as I've seen in the PDS, only Power 1 Racing is a Group IV PAO oil, the others seem like a blend .... at least they are not clearly Group IV PAO in the PDS.

Yes the RS motorcycle formula is long gone so is the SC24, now I use Power 1 Racing 4T 10w50 in the 1100XX, it has the same red color as the RS in Europe no idea about the US version.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
I'd put it more simply. Shared sump oil gets dirty quickly, so you should change it more often to eliminate the contaminants. This is likely to reduce the benefit (mostly longer OCI) of synthetic oil.

^ This.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I don't buy it. I ran my 92 Honda CBR1000F SC24 over 200K on Castrol RS 10w60 which is a true synthetic, compression and wear were all within manufacturers spec for a new engine when I checked the parts with a micrometer, It needed the cam chain which stretched.
The accepted life expectancy of this engine is about 100K, the bike has over 300K on it now same engine.

BTW I did not extend the OCI.

So you do buy it, (synthetic oil) and evidently it was worth buying, but it doesn't, of course, prove that a non-synthetic oil, perhaps used at a shorter OCI, wouldn't have given you the comparable performance.

Thats a pretty high end motorcycle and I believe it runs a car-type oil filter. On the smaller, older engine designs I'm familiar with, and typical here, there is no filtration (or only a centrifugal "filter") which also arguably contra-indicates long OCI's and so reduces the benefit of synthetic oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back