NASCAR Just Committed Suicide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Do they have heats in racing in the olympics?

the do!

prelimis
semi-finals (top 16)
finals (top 8)

its how they weed out the "not as elite" from the elite!

I, too, stopped paying much attention about ten years ago. The focus on points, as opposed to wins (and the heavy point penalties associated with DNFs) lost my attention.

I got tired of seeing racers play-it-safe, with crummy finishes and fear-driven race strategies governing race teams and their drivers.

NASCAR needs to modernize in many ways. Independent rear suspensions with full or near-full bellypans, truncated and vaned diffusers, keeping the ducktail spoilers (no wing, PLEASE), minimum ride height requirements on the track (possibly with an F1-style solution using a wooden board?), ram air hoods, overhead cam fuel-injected V8 engines of 3.5 to 4 liters, variable valve timing on intake valves only, 4 valves/cylinder, RPM limit of 12k, and mandatory larger/longer diffuser for high speed ovals, MORE ROAD COURSES....among other things.

The IRS permits the use of a full bellypan. The bellypan is what makes the diffuser more efficient and permits better racing at places like Daytona and 'Dega. Ducting the exhaust into the diffuse venturi can also increase downforce and quiet the cars somewhat to comply with every-tightening noise regulations.

Make mandatory quick-change body panels (that can be performed during an extended pit stop) that conform to a production car's 7/8 scale dimensions and geometry in most places. This means all aero is not lost upon incidental contact or a minor wreck and the race win can still be vied-for.

Permit teams to utilize a limited number of advanced airflow altering devices (dive planes/canards, vortex generators, etc). Limit size, number, and placement of these devices.... but allow the teams to tailor the cars to their driver's style and conditions which they deem most advantageous to them. Have a set number of pre-formed aero-aids to choose from (3D templates, if you will).

On superspeedways, limit the front grille aperture size. This will force teams to form deltas, line-abreast formations and will encourage more open running....as opposed to the current aero and cooling packages which basically force one to run in long draft-lines of vehicles. Also, force the use of small venturis in front of the front wheels (coming right off the splitter) to cool the front brakes and exhaust out of the wheel/wheel well. This increases front downforce and would require more rear wing angle to keep the car from being aero-loose.

Move to 6-speed sequential gear boxes with TCU controlled clutches. Employ geared, torsen-style rear diffs across the board.

Permit the use of larger wheels and larger brake rotors.

Permit a driver or race team to throw out their three worst finishes of the year and return to a straight points based system that heavily weights race wins over top-5 finishes. A race win would bring 40 points to a 2nd place finisher's 5 points...or something like that. Permitting the discarding of the three worst finishes takes the DNF fear out of drivers really driving hard.

Include Laguna Seca, Road America, Road Atlanta (already have an Xfi ity race there), and Circuit of The Americas (COTA) as road race venues.

Introduce special events at special venues ...... perhaps a Pikes Peak style hill climb instead of the Winston or whatever they're calling it now or an actual road race like CART/Indy. But have these events be for driver/team money AND reduced points.

Forget templates; NASCAR must upgrade to a 3D model of each car and each car will be tested with a 3D plotter jig. Pick 50-100 points and each team has to meet each point within a tolerance or they don't start.

NASCAR is bleeding viewers and bleeding fans (more importantly). If they don't attract a younger audience, they're going to file bankruptcy in 10 years or less.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: billt460
NASCAR-just plain stupid.

Now you have the perfect opportunity to get out from in front of the idiot box (you're actually watching cars drive round and round in an oval?) and do something constructive.

You need to take your Metamucil.

Martinsville = Gas, brake, turn. Gas, brake, turn....... And don't forget the camera inside the wheel well, so we can see the rotors get red hot. (As if that will add excitement).

Originally Posted By: BufordTJustice
I, too, stopped paying much attention about ten years ago. The focus on points, as opposed to wins (and the heavy point penalties associated with DNFs) lost my attention.

I got tired of seeing racers play-it-safe, with crummy finishes and fear-driven race strategies governing race teams and their drivers.

NASCAR needs to modernize in many ways. Independent rear suspensions with full or near-full bellypans, truncated and vaned diffusers, keeping the ducktail spoilers (no wing, PLEASE), minimum ride height requirements on the track (possibly with an F1-style solution using a wooden board?), ram air hoods, overhead cam fuel-injected V8 engines of 3.5 to 4 liters, variable valve timing on intake valves only, 4 valves/cylinder, RPM limit of 12k, and mandatory larger/longer diffuser for high speed ovals, MORE ROAD COURSES....among other things.

The IRS permits the use of a full bellypan. The bellypan is what makes the diffuser more efficient and permits better racing at places like Daytona and 'Dega. Ducting the exhaust into the diffuse venturi can also increase downforce and quiet the cars somewhat to comply with every-tightening noise regulations.

Make mandatory quick-change body panels (that can be performed during an extended pit stop) that conform to a production car's 7/8 scale dimensions and geometry in most places. This means all aero is not lost upon incidental contact or a minor wreck and the race win can still be vied-for.

Permit teams to utilize a limited number of advanced airflow altering devices (dive planes/canards, vortex generators, etc). Limit size, number, and placement of these devices.... but allow the teams to tailor the cars to their driver's style and conditions which they deem most advantageous to them. Have a set number of pre-formed aero-aids to choose from (3D templates, if you will).

On superspeedways, limit the front grille aperture size. This will force teams to form deltas, line-abreast formations and will encourage more open running....as opposed to the current aero and cooling packages which basically force one to run in long draft-lines of vehicles. Also, force the use of small venturis in front of the front wheels (coming right off the splitter) to cool the front brakes and exhaust out of the wheel/wheel well. This increases front downforce and would require more rear wing angle to keep the car from being aero-loose.

Move to 6-speed sequential gear boxes with TCU controlled clutches. Employ geared, torsen-style rear diffs across the board.

Permit the use of larger wheels and larger brake rotors.

Permit a driver or race team to throw out their three worst finishes of the year and return to a straight points based system that heavily weights race wins over top-5 finishes. A race win would bring 40 points to a 2nd place finisher's 5 points...or something like that. Permitting the discarding of the three worst finishes takes the DNF fear out of drivers really driving hard.

Include Laguna Seca, Road America, Road Atlanta (already have an Xfi ity race there), and Circuit of The Americas (COTA) as road race venues.

Introduce special events at special venues ...... perhaps a Pikes Peak style hill climb instead of the Winston or whatever they're calling it now or an actual road race like CART/Indy. But have these events be for driver/team money AND reduced points.

Forget templates; NASCAR must upgrade to a 3D model of each car and each car will be tested with a 3D plotter jig. Pick 50-100 points and each team has to meet each point within a tolerance or they don't start.

NASCAR is bleeding viewers and bleeding fans (more importantly). If they don't attract a younger audience, they're going to file bankruptcy in 10 years or less.

I like this guy.

In defense of NASCAR, I was surprised at all the empty seats at the Phoenix Indy Car race. I'm starting to believe it isn't NASCAR, or even racing in general. I think it's the economy. I believe there are a lot more people in trouble financially than show on the radar. They like these events, they just can't afford them. If you figure in inflation, live auto racing events were never cheap. Especially if you figure in gas, food, and lodging. It's a fair piece of change.

Today so many people live on credit, and are living check to check. Add that to the fact home ownership is at it's lowest level in over 50 years. And also how many people lease cars because they can't afford to buy them. It's not a good sign. I don't think it is one that is going to improve in the near future either.

Great post billt460. I have had the same thought about this as well. An example of costs... 2 tickets for Richmond NASCAR race got to be $110 per person. Times 2, plus two nights at a local hotel where rooms were jacked up to $200 a night from the normal $100, food for two days, drinks, gas to and from the track and it was easy to spend close to $1000 for just 2 people. That's a fair amount of money for many people. I believe that some of the race tracks stopped allowing in site camping. Which was a way to greatly cut costs for regular everyday people. That alone likely was very unhelpful to race attendance. If you go back and watch the races from the 70s, 80s, and 90s, early 2000s it was commonplace to see MANY people camping out in the infields at the tracks. Even North Wilksboro had a lot of people camped out there. Charlotte used to have a lot if people camping there too. There used to be this old old blue school bus that was a converted camper at the exit of turn 2. Darrell Waltrip mentioned that bus a couple of times at the Charlotte race. But it is no longer there. And hasn't been there since around 2004-05. But.... The mega money camper buses get spots on the infields it seems. Really makes me wonder.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Great post billt460. I have had the same thought about this as well. An example of costs... 2 tickets for Richmond NASCAR race got to be $110 per person. Times 2, plus two nights at a local hotel where rooms were jacked up to $200 a night from the normal $100, food for two days, drinks, gas to and from the track and it was easy to spend close to $1000 for just 2 people. That's a fair amount of money for many people.....

And when you start looking into the matter, you find they're not going to the track not because the racing sucks...... But rather their finances. I think it's all far worse than imagined. And it's a nationwide issue.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/965e48ed609245539ed315f83e01b6a2

"Three-quarters of people in households making less than $50,000 a year and two-thirds of those making between $50,000 and $100,000 would have difficulty coming up with $1,000 to cover an unexpected bill."

http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/10/pf/emergency_fund/

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/most-americans-cant-handle-a-500-surprise-bill/

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/most-americans-have-less-than-1000-in-savings-2015-10-06

NASCAR is boring with all the silly rules and enforced technologies that give a few teams a big advantage.

Yes, lots of Americans would rather stay home and watch it on TV than spend thousands to take a family of 4 to watch a race. No campers allowed on the infield, no confederate flags allowed, no fun allowed, gouging fans for stuff that cost 1/3 only a decade ago. No wonder NASCAR is dying a slow death, to me it died when # 3 hit the wall. It's best that # 88 is leaving after this season.

Lots of Americans are barely making it week to week.... and check to check.

I Strongly believe that those numbers don't lie. Just verifies what you posted earlier and what I have thought too. Things are far from good out in this nation of ours. And it is not changing anywhere near fast enough yet either. I believe it will not change for the better anytime soon. Unless some MASSIVE real world problems are truly addressed and changes implemented.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I Strongly believe that those numbers don't lie. Just verifies what you posted earlier and what I have thought too. Things are far from good out in this nation of ours. And it is not changing anywhere near fast enough yet either. I believe it will not change for the better anytime soon. Unless some MASSIVE real world problems are truly addressed and changes implemented.

I agree completely. Many complain about the government borrowing and spending too much money. While that is certainly true, the citizenry is doing much the same. And the banks and lending institutions are making matters worse, by lending far too much to people who put little to nothing down on their homes. And when you factor in the 6% real estate commission they have to pay when selling, they're under water before they move in. One would think they would have learned from the last housing crash in 2008-2009. But they're right back at it. People today are stretched financially to the breaking point. It's only a matter of time before something snaps...... Again.

Originally Posted By: CT Rob
Nascar is still a thing? thought it was over a long time ago.Huh guess not

Typical NASCAR fan on the left (skip to 0:37 second point for the NASCAR summary):

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back