anti rock shield rubbed against driveshaft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grrrrr!!! Not sure why I didn't think about this a while back when I heard a metal on metal type sound. I thought it was rocks in my brakes or something from high water, but it went away after a week or two. Or I just quit paying attention to it. idk. I already cut this dumb shield back a while back, but I guess it wasn't enough because it bent over and has been rubbing the driveshaft. Doesn't appear to have cut into it or anything, so I think it's okay. It's an aluminum shield on the side of the gas tank. Funny my brothers gf has a ram 1500 and she doesn't even have a shield on her tank. So now I have a 5" section of nicely cleaned aluminum on my driveshaft.

Not a big deal, but something to keep an eye on for truck owners I guess. This is something that if left alone would eventually cause a driveshaft failure imo.

I had the exact same problem a few years back after I had to go over a firewood log dropped off a truck. Dinged the shield and snapped a strut. I couldn't for a life of me figure out the grinding noise, so I got a tow home. Only after I got it home and got a good look underneath did I realize I could've bent the shield back by hand (maybe pliers) and driven home myself.

This was on my Subaru Outback, so not just trucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back