Fluid for Aisin 4-Speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1999 Sabb with this transmission, and I'm wondering what people have found about using current fluids. The original spec is Dex II, I think. Are the LV fluids like Maxlife okay for this trans, or does it like thicker fluids?

I am sure that the LV fluid will damage it. For example, Castrol says that their synthetic is: "low viscosity formulation specially designed to deliver maximum fuel efficiency for modern automatic transmissions".
I would use something like Castrol "Multi Vehicle Imports", being an Asian transmission. Has higher viscosity than the synthetics (8 cSt at 100C).

PS: I have a similar thread here: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4386683/Castrol_fluids#Post4386683

Last edited:
Which formula maxlife? The traditional "red bottle" covers every flavor of dexron and while it starts off thin it doesn't shear as badly.

The LV fluid will be fine
smile.gif

Remember, the new LV ATF's are synthetic and more shear-stable. So even though their starting visc is lower, it won't shear down past what the older Dexron III was allowed to.

An Aisin 4-speed auto that used Dexron II can use Dexron VI with no problems.

I drive a 1999 Saab 9-5 SE. I've used the cheapest Dex/Merc available and the transmission shifts imperceptibly. I've used gallons of the MaxLife Dex/Merc LV flushing a friend's '02 9-3 (also 4 speed) without any suggestion of problem.

The LV is what I've used in the 5 speed units. They require Mobil 3309/Toyota T-IV fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back