Valvoline ML 5W-30, 5,000, 2006 Infinit M35X, 152K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very good point on needing more than 1 UOA...I have another batch of Valvoline MaxLife 5W-30 running through it, now, and plan to run another UOA when I get to ~5,000 miles.

The question then will be, what to go with next...but isn't that the fun of all this!

I've had a few of these engines over the years. They seem to like xw40 oils. I currently have a VQ and VK, both of which are fairly tough on oil. I believe the older VG's that were easier on oil had timing belts. I have not had high iron levels, but I have seen oil shearing. I use M1 0w40 almost exclusively.

If also found these engines to use more oil than their 3 liter predecessors, but they make a good bit more power and rev higher. They seem to be capable of high mileage when taken care of, all the VQ Nissans of that generation seem to rev high on the highway. My VK is a V8, if it's over 3k RPM on the highway, the VQ I own is attached to a 6 speed manual, and is higher on the highway. My previous two Machines Se's were also similarly high on the highway - one 5 speed manual and one 4 speed
Auto.

Originally Posted By: ae7456t
Very good point on needing more than 1 UOA...I have another batch of Valvoline MaxLife 5W-30 running through it, now, and plan to run another UOA when I get to ~5,000 miles.

The question then will be, what to go with next...but isn't that the fun of all this!

So true, its all in fun!
We all know, deep down that any oil that meets the rating of the engine maker will turn in similar wear numbers but that wouldnt be fun.

Good point on the Full Synthetic MaxLife...I have been looking at that.

They also have a 10W-40 MaxLife Synthetic blend that would get me the higher weight while keeping the MaxLife seal swellers...May look in that direction for the summer, and possibly beyond.

I have the VQ35HR in my 2009 Infiniti FX35, the engine that followed the VQ35DE. Has the HR engine also been showing that it is subject to significant shearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back