2017 Explorer 2.3EB, PUP 5W-30, 6700mi OCI

Pennzoil asked if I wanted to participate in the "Pennzoil Used Oil Analysis Program". What's a long term BITOG member suppose to say, SURE :D! The existing oil they first tested was Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30. It would have been Mobil 1 5W-30 but a mechanic at the shop drained it with 100 miles on it while getting a tire rotation :rolleyes:. They replaced it with the Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 because Napa didn't have any Mobil 1 5W-30 :). The Mobil ESP went in 11/4/21 and drained 10/16/22 with 5626 miles and 5% oil life on the iOLM. Then the PUP 5W-30 went in and changed on 8/8/23 at 6700 miles and 21% oil life left on the iOLM. They appear to be comparable oils overall. Both maintained their 30 viscosity, this is the first time in all my UOA's this happened. Usually my Mobil 1 5W-30 oils end in a high 20 viscosity. The Motorcraft 5W-30 blend ends up being a lower 20 viscosity oil at even fewer miles. Enjoy the UOA's.
Pennzoil UOA final jpeg.jpg

Great opportunity! Do you know how much this test kit would be at cost? You're right visc did hold very well. But I have to chuckle at basically them saying "Everything Looks Great" on their competitors oil.

I really appreciate this thread! We have a 2016 Explorer with the same engine. I always wonder how hard these engines are on oil, how much they dilute with fuel etc. We drive ours about as much as you do in the same amount of time, and I’ve settled on 6k OCIs with synthetics. Looks like I’m safe, and could probably go a little longer.

The samples were taken 10 months apart.

They were received 8 months apart.

But they were completed on the exact same date. That's a little weird that they wouldn't test the M1 ESP when they got it. They waited 8 months for the PUP sample before they tested it.

How would you compare the driving pattern of each sample? Did one have more highway miles than the other?

Based on a few different VOAs, the PUP didn't appear to lose any viscosity at all (virgin starts around 9.8 to 10.0) while the M1 ESP lost at least 1 full cSt.

Back