1988 mercedes e300 I6 gas engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 124 with the gas engine ( I6 3.0) and was wondering what would be a really good oil to use. The owners manual is from 1988 and leans toward the thicker oils of that era. As we all know here on this site oil has improved since then. The car has 235,000 miles on it. It was a 2 owner car that was very well maintained. It was just 1500.00 dollars. Thank You in advance! Bill

We've owned a 1992 300E for several years. It's my step sons car now. He drives it every day.

I ran Rotella T6 5w40 for years. Good oil pressure at hot idle in the summer heat. Synthetic. Inexpensive. Kept the engine clean.

In your summers, definitely an XW40. I strongly recommend the Rotella - but any Euro formula 0W40 or 5W40 would be a good choice.

We love the W124 chassis with the M103 six. Easy to maintain, excellent parts availability, smooth. Nice steering weight. Comfortable seats. You bought a great car!

Let me know if/when you need to do a head gasket. The complete MB set of seals + HG is under $100. You'll need a triple square for the bolts.

Here's the head when I did our car, you'll note how clean it looks.

The head back in the car - this'll look familiar...and you can see the triple square head bolts.

Last edited:
Delo or Rotella 15w40, that's what they were engineered and factory filled with back in the day, works great in old Benzes. T6 would also be a fine choice, but they work great with old dino diesel oil.

Originally Posted By: JEL01
Delo or Rotella 15w40, that's what they were engineered and factory filled with back in the day, works great in old Benzes. T6 would also be a fine choice, but they work great with old dino diesel oil.

Even in Germany?

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Originally Posted By: JEL01

Even in Germany?
ok maybe not Delo or Rotella specifically, but I've always read plain old diese dino 15w40, at least according to a the MB forums (one of the high post count guys is a European MB mechanic dating back to the 70s).

Either way my old 95 W124 only saw Delo and the UOAs were always perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back