MTF Fill Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changing the fill in the 5MT trans in my Accord. Looking for a recommendation.

In the past have used:

Old Honda Genuine MTF
AMSOIL MTF - made trans notchy
GM Synchromesh Friction Modified MTF - shifted great but got notchy after 5-7k
New Honda Genuine MTF - shifted great
Pennzoil Synchromesh MTF - shifts good - put in when I did a clutch

I am leaning towards the new Honda Genuine with some Liqui Moly 2019 MoS2 Anti-Friction Gear Lubricant. Thoughts?

In my 08 Civic Si I first changed out to the "new" Honda MTF and noticed an improvement. After that I moved to Redline MTF. It was night and day. Much smoother shifting and it felt way better in cold weather.

AVOID anything with moly in it - moly is a friction modifier which may not be beneficial to syncro ring & cone engagement.

Redline MTF, MT85 or MT90, Castrol Syntrans and anything from Schaeffers are exceptional gear oils.

Originally Posted By: redhat

...I am leaning towards the new Honda Genuine with some Liqui Moly 2019 MoS2 Anti-Friction Gear Lubricant. Thoughts?

Recommend you do not use the Liqui Moly junk.

The Moly will compete with the friction modifier in the MTF. No need for it.

Schaeffer's does not have a dedicated MTF.

Now that you have your clutch fixed retry a 10 cSt MTF such as the

https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=45&pcid=7

Fluid.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
The best manual transmission fluid I've used is Motorcraft XT-M5-QS. It's a German made PAO synthetic and is a 75W90 GF-4 fluid.
It's pour point and viscosity index is unreal: https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.c...ion%20Fluid.pdf

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Ford-XT-M5-QS-Synthetic-Transmission/dp/B000NUES82

Buy it at a Ford dealer. Tell them you can buy it online cheaper if they quote you a stupid price. They knocked $6 a quart off when I told them that.

But the problem with this suggestion is the viscosity of the Ford-XT-M5-QS is not correct; it is too thick.

A 15.0 cSt MTF is a far cry from a 7.5 to 10 cSt fluid.

Originally Posted By: redhat
New Honda Genuine MTF - shifted great
I am leaning towards the new Honda Genuine with some Liqui Moly 2019 MoS2 Anti-Friction Gear Lubricant. Thoughts?

Honda Genuine MTF delivers you desired ratio of static/dynamic coefficients of friction leading to smooth shift.
Adding further friction modifiers, whether solid or liquid, would 'disturb' and may deviate from the desired ratio potentially leading to notchy shift ....... which one should avoid doing so.
Just my
49.gif

Has anybody ever used Ravenol in a Honda? They make nearly every viscosity of manual transmission fluid, and it isn't too expensive.

That in mind, I think I would prefer to just buy Honda fluid, use no additives, and change the fluid whenever I felt that it needed changing.

Yes.

i am currently running Ravenol MTF II in my Honda del Sol.
It beats the previous used Honda MTF, Castrol 75W, Liqui Moly 75w-80 in every way.

Shifts like silk, even cold. Try it!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
In my 08 Civic Si I first changed out to the "new" Honda MTF and noticed an improvement. After that I moved to Redline MTF. It was night and day. Much smoother shifting and it felt way better in cold weather.

Did the same, Redline MTL is wonderful stuff.

And to the person thinking about Moly in a manual trans fluid, don't do it, your syncros will hate you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back