Diesel Oil Ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been away from this site for a while, but found this place to be a great resource a few years ago back when I had an 06 Jeep with the 4.0L. After the engine needed a new cam and drive gears, then after the engine totally self destructed with completely worn lifters and cam again, all with less than 40k miles, I started to do a lot of research and learned a lot here about the new oils and the lack of zinc and how bad they can be for old style engines.

Well I bought an 01 Cummins a couple of years ago, low miles and well cared for, and I'm wanting to keep this truck for a long time and now that I've come back to this site I'm seeing post about the new CK oil and lower zinc level and if they are bad for an older diesel engine, so now I'm having flashbacks to my old Jeep. Is there a write up or a good resource for learning more about the new oils and benefits or negatives about them?

The other thing I've been wondering about is I see a lot of people recommending Delvac Rotella or a few others. I'm a firm believer in synthetics, especially here in the mountains of Colorado when it's -20 in the mornings. I've always used Mobil1 in my gas vehicles, so for the Cummins I've been using Mobil1 Turbo Diesel Truck oil and was wondering why the Delvac seems to be recommended more instead of this oil. After comparing the Delvac1 with the Mobil1, the Delvac1 is CK rated and the Mobil1 is CJ rated, so would I be better sticking with the Mobil1 TD truck oil or the Delvac so many seem to like.

Assuming you are asking about 5w40 oils.

Note that M1 TDT 5w40 is now CK4, but still has high zinc and high phosphorous both well over 1000 ppm. My personal view would be to stick with that until we see how the CK4 oils with lower Zn and P shake out.

Originally Posted By: claluja
Assuming you are asking about 5w40 oils.

Note that M1 TDT 5w40 is now CK4, but still has high zinc and high phosphorous both well over 1000 ppm. My personal view would be to stick with that until we see how the CK4 oils with lower Zn and P shake out.

Where do y'all get these numbers from?

I tried fairly hard to get them for the Mobil Delvac MX 15/40 (apparently no longer available) that I run in my Daihatsu (spec is 10/30, which IIRC I've never seen here).

Mobil didn't apparently publish Zn and P content and did not respond to enquiries. Best I could do was some second-hand info on a Jeep forum.

Mobil 1 TDT 5W-40 numbers are here:

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.pdf

It is on the Mobil 1's website.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: njohnson

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.pdf

Yes it is. You'd think they might manage to put ALL their oils in there, but no Delvac MX 15W40 that I can see.

Its still advertised on the website but gone from the shelves where I normally buy oil. I do have an unopened 5L in reserve though which may see the car out.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: njohnson

Yes it is. You'd think they might manage to put ALL their oils in there, but no Delvac MX 15W40 that I can see.

Its still advertised on the website but gone from the shelves where I normally buy oil. I do have an unopened 5L in reserve though which may see the car out.

It would be nice if Mobil created the list for all their oils. Delvac MX 15W-40 is one of their Delvac oils, which is the commercial, heavy duty division for Mobil. Mobil 1 is designed mainly for passenger vehicles, although, the TDT 5W-40 can be used for heavy duty applications, they say.

Mobil made the product guide for the Mobil 1 oils. They haven't made one for Delvac oils yet.

Last edited:
Yeh, I'd thought it was slightly surprising it was on supermarket shelves here, though it was there for several years. Maybe someone finally decided it was inappropriate product placement.

My latest batch of Delvac 1 SHC 5W40 (available from US marine distributors) has 1489 ppm Zn, 1280 ppm P. 4800ppm Ca,TBN 15.2.
It is mainly recommended for engine of European mfg such as MB and MAN.

Charlie

But none of the syn blend HDEO's like Delvac, Delo, Rotella, Schaeffer, etc? Personally, I like the Delvac and Schaeffer syn blends. Good oils at good value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back