M1-108 holes - louvers barely open in new filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bbhero
I could be seeing it in a off, wrong way... But it sure looks like it's facing the other way around. Look at the filter all together pics. The openings are kind of narrow but open just a bit. not as much as I would like but open just a bit. Then look at the tube with the media off... That metal isn't flared outwards. It seems to be more open. Like it is more open on the side against the media, then coming to a narrow opening on the opposite side in the center of the tube.

The metal is bent towards the center of the tube. So the louvers protrude out into the center tube. That way the surface that the media sits up against is basically smooth so it doesn't cut in to the media.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Roger that - everything on OD is flush ...

Now I want to see in person. So, I'll look like a nut looking for a filter with closed louvers at the store, and then when I lose a hand cutting it apart, I'll look more foolish.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: CrAlt
Originally Posted By: THafeez
I had called Champ Labs a few days ago to complain about the Royal Purple and M1 filters I got about closed louvers. After 2 calls someone picked up and suggested that I take the loss and send it to them for testing and inspection or just return to point of purchase. I understand their plight, but a 14-18 dollar filter and this type of service is not nice. I did tell the customer service rep to speak to whoever manages the floor to check for anomalies, but we all know how customer suggestions/complaints sometimes get "lost".

Very grateful for Motorking in times like these where top brand filters are getting a bad rep because of their manufacturers. FRAM really gets it and builds a killer filter for every category.
thumbsup2.gif

I think you might have better luck going to RP rather then to the company they contract with to make their filters. RP is just one of a 100 contracts to them.

Maybe post your concern to the RP facebook with a photo of the issue.
https://www.facebook.com/RoyalPurpleFans

and also
http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/contact/

RP depends a lot of PR and marketing to get their premium prices. The last thing they want to do is pick up a bad reputation and have photo's flying around every car forum.

Champ labs maintains the customer support numbers for the various brands they manufacture. If you called the RP support number printed on the box for a RP filter, you are actually reaching Champ Labs. Same for Mobil 1 filters. This is a common support model- by virtue of the specific number you call, you are auto determined to be that brand customer without having to ask any further questions.

Update on M1-108 filter: I decided to cut the filter open to get a closer look. Although a number of louvers - slits are closed, or barely open, it is only visible on one side. Once I cut it open and examined the louvers from the other side I found those were better formed. So it only appears that about 10-20% of the louvers are degraded. Doing a pressure test with air shows no restriction at all. I am going to talk to my Champ Tech support contact tomorrow and post up more pictures and info, but at this stage of the game I would pronounce this filter acceptable: I am sure there are many more holes designed into the center tube than are needed, so this filter would have worked fine.
More pics tomorrow.

Originally Posted By: rubberchicken
Originally Posted By: CrAlt
I had called Champ Labs a few days ago to complain about the Royal Purple and M1 filters I got about closed louvers. After 2 calls someone picked up and suggested that I take the loss and send it to them for testing and inspection or just return to point of purchase. I understand their plight, but a 14-18 dollar filter and this type of service is not nice. I did tell the customer service rep to speak to whoever manages the floor to check for anomalies, but we all know how customer suggestions/complaints sometimes get "lost".

Very grateful for Motorking in times like these where top brand filters are getting a bad rep because of their manufacturers. FRAM really gets it and builds a killer filter for every category.
thumbsup2.gif

I think you might have better luck going to RP rather then to the company they contract with to make their filters. RP is just one of a 100 contracts to them.

Maybe post your concern to the RP facebook with a photo of the issue.
https://www.facebook.com/RoyalPurpleFans

and also
http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/contact/

RP depends a lot of PR and marketing to get their premium prices. The last thing they want to do is pick up a bad reputation and have photo's flying around every car forum.

Champ labs maintains the customer support numbers for the various brands they manufacture. If you called the RP support number printed on the box for a RP filter, you are actually reaching Champ Labs. Same for Mobil 1 filters. This is a common support model- by virtue of the specific number you call, you are auto determined to be that brand customer without having to ask any further questions.

Yes but this isn't really a normal tech support situation.

Who would have more pull with the contractor?
The random guy on the phone who just brought a single filter?
Or the customer who is paying $600K or a million to build their filters?

IF there is a wide spread QC issue I am sure RP would like to nip it in the bud a little more then that tier one phone support guy who is just entering your comments in to a program that will dump them in to the bitbucket with 10,000 other comments.
smile.gif

Thank you 4WD
smile.gif
Much appreciated. I guess if it's not open facing out, it was put in the other way. It is put together by hand in Champion Labs according to this production video from a couple years back

"99.99% efficient at 25 microns......."
tired.gif

Fram Ultra 99 at 20.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slybunda
99.99% at 25 microns is better than 99% at 20 micron.

Proof?

Fram shows the Ultra efficiency at 99+% ... so it's some a bit higher than 99%.

Why do some of the filters of one brand in the central cylindrical screen use blinds, in others - round holes?

Example:
1) Mobil -1 EP (M1-108, M1-110 and M1-104) - blinds.
but
2) Royal Purple 10-2867 (analog of M1-110) and 10-2876 (analog of M1-108) - blinds,
Royal Purple 10-2808 (analog of M1-104) - round holes

What are the advantages of each type of holes inside one brand of filters (Royal Purple, for example)?

Last edited:
Two questions:

1) When choosing the oil filter Mobil-1 EP in the store before purchase:
What is the minimum acceptable thickness of louvers (for visual inspection in the store):
- 0.02" (0.5mm)
- 0.04" (1mm)
- 0.08" (2 mm)?

2) Question to users of Mobil-1 filters: How much is the thickness of louvers in YOUR Mobil-1 oil filter?

Last edited:
Blinds? ... maybe just open them a little more with the adjusting rod. LOL
laugh.gif

Louver opening size seem to be all over the map. IMO, they should be noticeably opened up ... 1~2 mm at least.

BAD

GOOD

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
Louvers are a much better design and easier to manufacture at the stamping stage.

There I said it. Again.

BTW, I work in the Automotive Metal Stamping and assemblies industry. I think I know enough about how pierced holes and lanced louvers are done.

Agreed. And every commercial truck filter I've taken the time to look into has had louvers, and those guys rack up millions of miles on those engines without problems running OCI's longer than most passenger car drivers drive in a year under the most extreme, severe duty conditions. I just inspect any filter before buying to make sure it lives up to my standards!
cool.gif

The louver fear needs to stop in a lot of these cases.

Disassemble one of these filters and remove the center tube. Pour cold oil into the center, and watch how quickly the oil runs out of them.

+1 ... this one looked fully closed until I chopped it up ... 99% at 25 microns and those are the restrictions ... ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back