Filter Media Thickness and filtering ability

I use a lot of wix 57356 filters and as I noted in the past some of the filters in the last order were Made I China and some in US and some Made in Mexico

The ones made in Mexico had the louvers on the center tube and the one made in China had the the circular holes punched in center tube.

I recently decided to cut open one of the ones made in China to see how they were made. At first I was impressed the the filter looked decent. Until I put my fingers on the the pleats to spread then apart to see if there was any debris. The media tore easily and was paper thin. I still had a piece of the Delco Filter the I had previously cut open that had all the carbon from running HPL EC, I had to use a lot more strength to tear that Delco media as opposed to the China made wix that tore like paper. The way the delco tore and felt is how I remember the wix filters being.

I wish I still had some of the US made ones to compare.

The specs for this filter remain the same according to wix website, so does filter material thickness affect the filtering efficiency rating?

The material thickness affecting efficiency rating depends on the depth & media type used. So in short yes. It's a balance that manufacturers need to compute when designing a filter's requirements.

Back