Castrol oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I replaced my Mobile oil 5w30 with Castrol 5w30 dino stuff, nothing fancy ...The old lead slid 2005LaSabre is doing fine...no change in engine noise, but was always quiet ....no ticks, and yes I let walmart do it plus rotate the tires. I will miss Cookeville tn where things were much slower and folks were not in a huge hurry....Chattanooga is a rat race, but I grew up here...its like Chicago at 3pm most of the time....life goes on...PS, we do not have to cross the river to shop and so on,,,well thats a good thing..imho. At 70 years young,,well driveway macho maintenance is a thing of the past for me....
cheers3.gif

Let us know if that Castrol gets blacker than black. Castrol GTX always gets black in all my vehicles, don't know if it's cleaning better or not taking the heat as well. I am thinking it's cleaning because it doesn't use it.

My only complaint with Castrol GTX is that its typically more expensive than comparable oils, yet by looking at aquariuscsm's UOA of GTX 20W-50 in his Nissan, they must be doing something right. I have quite a few quarts of HD 30 I got from the Auto Zone clearance.

Yah, I'll be 66 in May. I just bought a qt of Castrol 10w40. The BMW is car #1 for a few days. The Camry was totaled Wed eve. My 71 yr old brother gave me an old storage tent. I put it up out back with a green tarp covering the sun blasted cover. The floor is covered with plywood and carpet scraps . I've run an extension cord from a GFI pigtail in my shop. The Rat is presently inside with the rear wheels blocked up a foot in the air. The bed is off and the gas tank is out. I'm drilling out rivets holding the cross members to the frame rail. I'm repairing the web and lower flange. The pace is slooow. Mostly ,time is spent figuring out how to perform the task safely and in the easiest way possible. It is much more comfortable to work in the yurt than on the driveway.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: andyd
It is much more comfortable to work in the yurt than on the driveway.
grin2.gif

I agree!! I hate doing larger maintenance projects out in the open in the driveway. There has been many a job I've had to finish in the pouring rain. Not fun!! haha :p

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Let us know if that Castrol gets blacker than black. Castrol GTX always gets black in all my vehicles, don't know if it's cleaning better or not taking the heat as well. I am thinking it's cleaning because it doesn't use it.

will do

2 weeks or so since last oil change, oil still clear in 2005 La-Sabre, engine has not exploded,lol Castrol still hanging in there, mostly city driving, about 800 miles

Don't know much about Castrol or oil but Cookeville sounds like my kind of town...

I swore-off Castrol 13 years ago. Was seeing varnish develop after using it for 3-4 years.

Hey Courier...
Mobile oil????
You've been here since 2009 - have over 4K posts and still believe there's the letter "e" in the word Mobil-1?

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
I swore-off Castrol 13 years ago. Was seeing varnish develop after using it for 3-4 years.

Hey Courier...
Mobile oil????
You've been here since 2009 - have over 4K posts and still believe there's the letter "e" in the word Mobil-1?

Do you suppose they've made any changes in oil in 13 years? Wonder what other oils would have done that back then? Just wondering out loud.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

Hey Courier...
Mobile oil????

I had used mostly conv gtx 5w30 or 10w30 in my 89 mazda 323 ( once in a a while some other oils also)and did have varnish sometime after 100k. The valves burned out at 190k...I was also religous about oil changes.

I noticed some orange varnish start after using Castrol GTX for 100-120k miles on my vehicles but that was back in the 80's and 90's. I'd suspect oils have improved greatly since I haven't seen that effect in the last 20 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back