M62 with a Small Oil Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
M62 with 142 on the clock.
It's had GC, PUE, RLI back when TD was active on the board.

It's got a minor oil leak...we're talking maybe 1/2 qt - 3/4 between oil changes.
Just started around 2-3K miles ago
Not the VCG but I'm leaning somewhere on the porosity of the Mag Covers, and or so my Indy hunched when I asked him where the leak is.

Anyhow, got a OCI coming up.
Have bottles of GC on deck. Ran PUE for about 3 OCI. I prefer GC more.
What oil would you run

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chefwong
What oil would you run

I don't think it'll make a difference what you run.

My M54 has a slight seep from the rear main seal. I thought that maybe running some HM oil would help curtail it. No such luck.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Whats an m62?

I feel like if you would have typed that into Google, it would have saved you time.

OP, I'd keep running what you're running. Find the leak and then see if it's worth your time to fix it. You may want to try ATP or LM Motor Oil Saver if it's going to be a pain to fix properly.

A hard-to-find oil leak on my M60 was traced to where the oil lines pass through the engine mount. If it is on the left side you may wish to check that.

Whats an m62?

It's special lingo that is common to some BMW geeks - referring to the engine series

The BMW M62 is a V8 DOHC piston engine which replaced the M60 and was produced from 1994 to 2005

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: chefwong
What oil would you run

I don't think it'll make a difference what you run.

My M54 has a slight seep from the rear main seal. I thought that maybe running some HM oil would help curtail it. No such luck.

But your valve seals are like..

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
Whats an m62?

It's special lingo that is common to some BMW geeks - referring to the engine series

Just about every car brand out there has its own set of engine designations used by its own set of geeks. Lets not single out BMW.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back