12 F150 Ecoboost 2 samples. 5W vs 10w30 Magnatec !

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, this truck (my brothers) gets used for alot of 100 mile daily commuting and back roads driving. It turned 60k at the last change. It gets alot of idle time too. He'll stop by somewhere and leave the truck running for 20 minutes no problem, and he remote starts every day. It's the heaviest F150 available, F150 Platinum quad cab, 6.5' bed. We did a comparison of Magnatec 5w30 and 10w30. 10w30 saw the winter use. No make up oil added, and the 10w30 saw the 2nd run on a Fram Ultra.

I disagree with their suggestion to run longer, but so much for that tan/tbn math on here, the numbers are great. We changed it with 5w30 Magnatec and a new Fram Ultra. Mods are sitting on the floor, full Livernois kit. Should be interesting to see the numbers with a bunch of extra boost running through it.

5w30

f1505wsample.png

10w30
f150sample.png

I always run out the 5w20 to 10k on normally aspirated 4 bangers and use an Ultra as well.
Never any issues. I tried the 5w30 in my 2015 F350 but the 5w20 was more to my liking. That was on the 6.2 L.... Great oil that's inexpensive too.

OP,

Thanks for running the two Magnatec grades back to back. They look pretty much the same to me, any differences being in the noise level.

Castrol Magnatec has been producing some great UOA's recently, and these two just add to the list. They both look excellent to me. 9000 mile OCI and both the 5W30 and the 10W30 are returning 14 ppm iron with a TBN of 2.0 to 1.9 All good stuff.

Thanks for posting.

Originally Posted By: SR5
OP,

Thanks for running the two Magnatec grades back to back. They look pretty much the same to me, any differences being in the noise level.

Castrol Magnatec has been producing some great UOA's recently, and these two just add to the list. They both look excellent to me. 9000 mile OCI and both the 5W30 and the 10W30 are returning 14 ppm iron with a TBN of 2.0 to 1.9 All good stuff.

Thanks for posting.

thumbsup2.gif
said it better than I would have.

Gasbuggy, I'd take it to 10k at least - remember that TBN depletion is not linear so it won't go down all that much in an additional 1k miles; but since TBN has crossed with TAN I can see your reasoning for taking it out.

Last edited:
both 5w30 and 10w30 Magnatec are considered synthetic blends while 5w20 and 0w20 Magnatec are full synthetic,
so try the full synthetic for 9K and do a side by side UOA comparison.

After seeing a few UOAs with Ecoboosts running Magnatec, it seems to hold up VERY well relative to others.

The 10w30 is hard to find, at Wally's at least which would be my preferred source for Magnatec. I suspect the 10w has significantly less syn base stock than the 5w, which is probably why it actually sheared a hair lower than the 5w although it most certainly started out a bit heavier.

Blackstone is not reliable or accurate enough IMO to make any conclusions about ZDDP levels when test results are so close to each other. I frequently see additive levels skewed by Blackstone as much as 20 to 25 percent. I still use them, but I know what I am getting when I do so.

Originally Posted By: camryrolla
both 5w30 and 10w30 Magnatec are considered synthetic blends while 5w20 and 0w20 Magnatec are full synthetic,
so try the full synthetic for 9K and do a side by side UOA comparison.

Ford specs 5w30 for this twin turbo 6cyl. I don't think my brother will be interested in experimenting. The mods we started putting on tonight will up the horsepower about 100 at the wheels. 93 Tune, catless down pipes, lower thermostat, cold air intake, new iridium plugs. Right now we are looking to see how the #s look with extra power.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
The 10w30 is hard to find, at Wally's at least which would be my preferred source for Magnatec. I suspect the 10w has significantly less syn base stock than the 5w, which is probably why it actually sheared a hair lower than the 5w although it most certainly started out a bit heavier.

Blackstone is not reliable or accurate enough IMO to make any conclusions about ZDDP levels when test results are so close to each other. I frequently see additive levels skewed by Blackstone as much as 20 to 25 percent. I still use them, but I know what I am getting when I do so.

He actually bought the 10w30 by mistake, which is what caused this comparison.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
OP,

Thanks for posting.

thumbsup2.gif
said it better than I would have.

Gasbuggy, I'd take it to 10k at least - remember that TBN depletion is not linear so it won't go down all that much in an additional 1k miles; but since TBN has crossed with TAN I can see your reasoning for taking it out.

We used 9k based on my suggestion, seemed like the midpoint between safe and pushing it. Both of these samples went in for testing at the same time.

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy

A fortunate mistake for all of us, it's great to see the two Magnatec weights compared in the same vehicle.

A fortunate mistake for all of us, it's great to see the two Magnatec weights compared in the same vehicle.

I might be able to get him to run edge 0w40 for a run.

I might be able to get him to run edge 0w40 for a run.

That would be excellent, either Edge 5W30 or Edge 0W40 would be a great comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back