13 150, 9961miles Magnetec 5/30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Latest report.
Iron bumped up a bit. Probably due to a little turbo work that was done.
Still way under average.
Silicon up a bit, could be due to the turbo work or a new air filter.

Last report

Last edited:
Very nice report. What oil did you refill with and what oil for the previous fills? I'd prob go 9000-9500 miles.

I picked up some 10w30 Magna recently on sale but returned it for some 5w30 Mobil. I just didn't want to use 10w30 in the winter when the car specs a 5w30. Otherwise I would have kept it if they had the 5w30 flavor.

Just as a FYI, on another forum a poster had the same oil sample analyzed by Blackstone and Polaris. Blackstone observed a 345 degree flashpoint and translated that to 1.5% fuel dilution. Polaris, using gas chromatography, determined the fuel dilution was >5%.

This is nothing new here and otherwise your UOA is great, but I'd guess your fuel dilution is likely near 5% rather than Blackstone's 1.5%.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Very nice report. What oil did you refill with and what oil for the previous fills? I'd prob go 9000-9500 miles.

I have used the Magnatec 5/30 for the last 4 refills.
I will continue to use it as long as its available.

I am usually between 9 and 9500... this one ran a little long.

Originally Posted By: CT8
What kind of turbo work?

No biggie... I thought.

Passenger turbo above the starter, between the turbo and block the coolant line started leaking.

$4.00 part. Tried to do it myself. Backed out of it.

Took it to the dealer.... everything from the inner fender well to the block had to come out.... including the turbo.

So, $900 in labor and about $250 in parts and my little $4 dollar part was changed out.

Originally Posted By: KJSmith
So, $900 in labor and about $250 in parts and my little $4 dollar part was changed out.

Warranty item?

edit: just saw the miles so I'm guesing, no. ouch!

I had them change out the belts while they were there.... he gave me a beak on the labor because he had to remove them while repairing the leak.
Total price, fees, tax and everything else was just under $1400.
They paid the rental car because it took them a few days to get to it.

In contrast, I had a 02 250 7.3 that I spent just under $600 total in 9yrs and 304k miles.
1 water pump, 1 alternator and ball joints... I supplied the labor.
I would still be driving that truck... but someone else wanted it more and stole it.
Paid $28k for it, got $12.5 back from the insurance company.

I guess it all works out.

BAM. Right on CT8. Castrol Magnatec does stay in grade and holds up way better. I think Castrol Magnatec could well be the best economical buy for a higher performing oil. I really like Castrol oils. But from now on I will likely buy Castrol Magnatec if I am buying Castrol oil.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
BAM. Right on CT8. Castrol Magnatec does stay in grade and holds up way better. I think Castrol Magnatec could well be the best economical buy for a higher performing oil. I really like Castrol oils. But from now on I will likely buy Castrol Magnatec if I am buying Castrol oil.
Valvoline full syn Maxlife does a great as well.

Good to hear/learn and I believe you on that. I really should run that in my car as well. Valvoline Maxlife Full synthetic is one more I should try out soon too.

Castrol OW-30 made in Belgium or Germany does well also. Thebest part of the UOA postings.

KJSmith, thanks for posting. Another great UOA from Castrol Magnatec 5W30. This semi-synthetic is punching well above it's weight and very much impressing me.

Some people say a 5W30 shears down to a 20 grade, but with a KV100 of ~ 10.3 at the end of a ~ 10,000 mile OCI, I'm not seeing any shearing problems.

Looks good.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SR5
Some people say a 5W30 shears down to a 20 grade, but with a KV100 of ~ 10.3 at the end of a ~ 10,000 mile OCI, I'm not seeing any shearing problems.

........ staying in grade, despite 'serious' fuel dilution .
Thanks for posting, KJSmith.
blush.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back