NASCAR Just Committed Suicide

Status
Not open for further replies.
I absolutely LOVE NASCAR and other sanctioned "Stock Car" V-8 racing ( plus Circle Track, etc) when it comes to technology ... engine, suspension, aero, the works.

But NASCAR racing itself, I can't get too excited about. I prefer going to the local track to watching left-turn racing on TV. In a year I might watch two NASCAR races. I don't really know the current drivers and the process of earning and being rewarded for points is a mystery to me that I'm not interested in solving.

I will get up at 4AM to watch a Formula1 race though. I find it far more exciting, and it's easy to figure out points and standings, and I like the Constructors' Championship as a corollary to just a Drivers' Championship.

I will watch Drag Racing on TV and in person. I had a good friend who filmed Harley Davidson Mud Racing, he died when hit by one of the bikes. RIP

Over regulated, just like the USA. Too much bureaucratic [censored]. The swamp needs draining.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
Originally Posted By: rshaw125
I remember the good old days. I would meet a large group of friends and watch almost every race. We had a pool going for $20 a person. None of our group has watched a race in over 10 years. Ruined.
The NFL is following in NASCAR's foot steps.

Was going to say NFL is doing what Nascar did. They grew so fast they thought it would never end and then ignored their fans.

I watch very little NFL now compared to the past and have not watched a Nascar race in god knows how many years, maybe over a decade.

And they do "TV time outs" also!

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Over regulated, just like the USA. Too much bureaucratic [censored]. The swamp needs draining.

And that will never happen as long as the France family is involved. And they will run it into the ground before they ever sell. It's a proven fact most all family owned corporations die in the third generation. I think NASCAR will continue to follow that trend.

The races being divided into segments. Keeps the action toned up. I'm just saying, give it a chance. I don't really follow points, although I was pulling for Martin Truex Jr last year, I just like the aggressive racing.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
I remember the good old days. I would meet a large group of friends and watch almost every race. We had a pool going for $20 a person. None of our group has watched a race in over 10 years. Ruined.
The NFL is following in NASCAR's foot steps.

Actually I think that last line may be reversed.

NASCAR has become more like WWE "professional" wrestling IMO...

Originally Posted By: Mitch Alsup
Once this new set of "rules" drives another 50% of the fan base away,
What will the bosses do to bring any of them back?

Slot machines in the stands, with "gambling breaks". Also, topless girls in short pants serving drinks.

Every race like the all-star race at Charlotte Motor Speedway. Hat is going to run of gimmicks one of these days.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje

And that will never happen as long as the France family is involved. And they will run it into the ground before they ever sell. It's a proven fact most all family owned corporations die in the third generation. I think NASCAR will continue to follow that trend.

They (Daytona Motorsports Group) managed to absoloutely ruin AMA roadracing in one season. Surely they can pull off the same with their bread and butter promotion if they set their minds to it.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
hatt said:
Preplanned cautions to get in more commercial breaks. Now that's racing.

Speaking of Jr. , he looks depressed lately on TV.

Concussion issues will do that to you.

He got married!!!

FYI, ALL racing is dying. Pick your poison: greenies rule; millennials could give a dump about driving and/or cars in general; I could go on.

Last edited:
Every short track in America has "heats" this emulates that. Goes back to the roots of racing. This move is aimed to recover their base. The dirt track racers from all across america. will it work? Only time will tell.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
Concussion issues will do that to you.

I don't think he is depressed because of anything medically related. Like many older, successful drivers, he is struggling for a reason to stay in racing. He is one of the wealthiest drivers in NASCAR, with a net worth estimated north of $300 MILLION. He would have been hard pressed to have had a more successful career. He has just recently married. And after suffering through an accident which has sidelined him for a large portion of the season, he is no doubt fighting inner demons that are telling him to quit. Who wouldn't be in his position?

These is also the death of his father. That's a lot for any driver to carry around the track with him every time he gets into a car. Darryl Waltrip once said that every driver is fearless and super aggressive, until he suffers an injury in a major accident. Some are able to return with a bit less aggression, others are never able to come back with a competitive racing attitude again. I don't look to see him around much longer as a driver. As a team owner, or a broadcaster, (assuming he has the speaking talent), perhaps. But much like Dario Franchitti and Rick Mears in Indy Car, there comes a time when the sensible choice is to get out of the car, and explore other options in life.

Agree 100%. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see JR retire at the end of this season, if he makes it that far. I would also bet you one more hard concussion crash and he will walk away from driving forever. I'm sure he'll do fine being a car owner & broadcaster.

topless girls in short pants serving drinks.
I've never been to a Nascar race, but that would work. That's pretty much why I goto Tilted Kilt and certain "Asian cafes" in California..... it isn't the food.

I cannot be angry at the bosses. They are passing rules they think will make the drivers safer. Like the Hans device and safer barriers. Perhaps if those had been mandated earlier, Dale Earnhart would be in retirement, instead of a rotting corpse in the ground.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I don't care for NASCAR, but to me, points have always meant Zero. Who has the most wins in a season matters, nothing else.

Nascar has NEVER worked that way. The person who takes home the Cup is whoever has the most points per season. Many of the champions like Richard Petty, Dale Earnhardt, Jeff Gordon had fewer wins than other drivers, but they had a more consistent season (i.e. they finished more races) (or they were consistently 2nd or 3rd or 4th race-after-race).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back