Do you drive your old car during the winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course, but we don't have salty roads.

My Jeep is only driven occasionally though. My Camry gets all the commuting miles, over 20k a year. It also gets a bit better mpg. The Jeep gets taken out to the desert for off-road driving.

Originally Posted By: tomlct
So do you wait for spring or drive it if the roads look clear?

If the rains have washed the salt off the roads, like it is right now, I do drive my good car some, yes. IMO, It's better for the car to drive it some off season. About to take my good car to NY next week. When I get back I will switch to my beater.

Yes. I daily drive my '99 Camry. I suppose it's not that old, but it's the oldest I've got.

Mistimed the last snowstorm, had to drive home in the stuff. I knew I was pushing the limits, but really knew after I watched an SUV do a 360 in front of me on a straight stretch. I backed down a notch--too cheap for snow tires. Once I got closer to home I started playing with the e-brake to slide around corners better. Waiting for the next storm to do that again.
smile.gif

I daily drive a 92 Cavalier all year long. My 70 Monte Carlo does not come out in the winter or any other time these days but the first five years I owned it, it was my only car. I bought it in 87 and quit driving it regularly in 92.

While not old, my 14 Mustang GT does not get driven during the winter. I have not driven it since the middle of November.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx

If the rains have washed the salt off the roads, like it is right now, I do drive my good car some, yes. IMO, It's better for the car to drive it some off season. About to take my good car to NY next week. When I get back I will switch to my beater.

I try to put at least 12-20 miles on each car every week or so- weather and road conditions permitting.

All are asleep in Nov til late April early May. No start and no driving, mothball bags in the exhaust, clean oil in the engine and 35psi in the tires.
These are not all old cars but convertible RWD roadster also.

Old to me would be like driving the '84 Plymouth Gran Fury above. I remember our GM B-Bodies in the winters growing up with their troublesome carbs and frozen door latches. In the winters, mom would throw the '88 Pontiac Safari wagon's rear end out in the snow for a laugh. The '84 Pontiac Parisienne had the rot so bad after 17 years that at highway speed the body would rattle and vibrate. Went to the scrapyard a runner.

The Olds with good winter tires is a great winter driver. I just have to fix the rear defroster..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back