Fleetguard LF700 Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was used on a Massey Ferguson 245 with the Perkins diesel. Tractor has 4573 hours. Not sure how many hours it was on for.

Was used with some Canadian Tire house branded 15W-40. Probably in service for 18 months. Filter has this odd plastic centre tube pipe that I've never seen before on a filter.

6QTWCnX.jpg

WoyJl1n.jpg

MDK00WM.jpg

pujSfI3.jpg

56OYVes.jpg

KpsrQST.jpg

WzsrAsT.jpg

LQnv6Rk.jpg

bKqwznO.jpg

Originally Posted By: Farmer
Filter has this odd plastic centre tube pipe that I've never seen before on a filter.

Probably an "anti-siphon" valve for the center tube. Basically, an ADBV for the center tube.

.. Filter has this odd plastic center tube pipe that I've never seen before on a filter.

Since I can see the center tube from the outlet hole I'm thinking that is what's called a standpipe as opposed to a true center tube antiphon 'valve'. It is designed to assure some oil remains in the filter on shut down for vertical dome up applications. There is a thread from 2010 linked below that shows some filter applications with a standpipe. As this is a relatively long filter, a standpipe would make sense.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1945352/ADBV,_standpipe,_running_a_big

I'll admit to going to FG site to confirm my initial standpipe thought. It confirms it HERE.

As for louvers notation, these look well formed and I'd have no reservations about using this FG filter. As long as prior inspection confirms, I have no issue with a louvered centertube. FG is a solid filter.

Thanks for c&p.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac

As for louvers notation, these look well formed and I'd have no reservations about using this FG filter. As long as prior inspection confirms, I have no issue with a louvered centertube. FG is a solid filter.

Thanks for c&p.

I also have no issues with properly opened louvers, problem is with the standpipe, you can't see them in a new filter, the standpipe blocks your view of it (you may be able to see a little depending on how long the stand pipe is I guess).

Last edited:
You're correct, with a standpipe one is not able to see the complete centertube, all louvers. That said, based on what I can see in this anecdote, I'm willing to make the leap the rest of the tube is similar. The OP could cut it open to confirm, but not necessary for me.

Just generally speaking, I don't fear a louvered center tube design. But, as with any filter purchase best to inspect the filter first if practicable.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
I also have no issues with properly opened louvers ...

+1 ... red words being key.

ZeeOSix and Sayjac, thanks for the explanation for what the standpipe is for.

Sajac might be more accurate in this assessment. If you can look down the center tube and actually see the dome end and bypass valve, then it's just a simple "standpipe". But if you look down the center tube and see some kind of valve in the pipe itself, then it's more like an ADBV for the center tube ("anti-siphon valve"). Those type of designs also exist.

Yeah it's a standpipe then. Filter does have a bypass valve. It just confuses me because this filter is mounted vertically, there's no reason for it.

Yeah it's a standpipe then. Filter does have a bypass valve. It just confuses me because this filter is mounted vertically, there's no reason for it.

May not be mounted vertically on other vehicles it's specified for.

I assume you specifically mean vertical thread/base end up in your application. I'd be fairly confident the topic LF700 is used for many applications. Some of those are likely vertical (or close) thread/base end down applications where it could be beneficial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back