Oil change for a friend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bbhero
Well, I have a friend of my lady who needs to have the oil changed in her 2011 Nissan Rogue SL 2.5. This is a freebie to help her save the money. It sees mostly in town short trips and has about 70k miles on it. So what oil would you all run it in? I have the following available... 1) Havoline Pro DS 5w30 2) Motorcraft 5w30 3) Castrol Magnatec 5w30 4) Formula Shell 5w30 or as a distant possibility 5) Castrol 0w30

Oil filters I have are 1) Wix 57356 2) Fram TG 3) Royal Purple 10-2867 4) Mobil 1 M1-110

I am thinking about running the Castrol Magnatec 5w30 and a Fram TG on there. What would y'all do??

Is this an ECOTEC engine that calls for 0w-20 synthetic? If it is, then please don;t harm that girl friend's engine, should overheating occur and that engine needs to operate for an extra 1.5 miles back home and under extra heat from losing coolant.

All you-people using these ECOTEC-type engines, use synthetic. I know someone that didn't and the vehicle overheated two short blocks from the safety of her house. The neighborhood is not the greatest and she tried to nurse that vehicle home.

Turned out to be a big mistake, for she had conventional oil in her ECOTEC, not synthetic which handles heat a little better. Had it been synthetic, she may have made it home and saved that engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

Is this an ECOTEC engine that calls for 0w-20 synthetic? If it is, then please don;t harm that girl friend's engine, should overheating occur and that engine needs to operate for an extra 1.5 miles back home and under extra heat from losing coolant.

All you-people using these ECOTEC-type engines, use synthetic. I know someone that didn't and the vehicle overheated two short blocks from the safety of her house. The neighborhood is not the greatest and she tried to nurse that vehicle home.

Turned out to be a big mistake, for she had conventional oil in her ECOTEC, not synthetic which handles heat a little better. Had it been synthetic, she may have made it home and saved that engine.

What? The Nissan QR25 =/= Ecotec

Since it's a freebie, and it is going to be short tripped, it seems to me that the Magnatec is probably going to be overkill. If it were me, I'd go with the Formula Shell and stick with the Fram TG filter.

Honestly though, I don't think you could go wrong putting any of those oils into that engine.

Originally Posted By: SpecM
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

What? The Nissan QR25 =/= Ecotec

I surrender!
I haven't a clue what you meant (=/=)?
Speak English please!

I was waiting for the Demarpaint to pipe in with the obligatory "no good deed goes unpunished" comment. Two warnings in the same thread - very impressive. Some people enjoy doing good deeds or taking a (reasonable) risk and aren't afraid of everything that could go wrong. It must be so depressing to think that everyone is out to get you or that new technology is the devil.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
If that vehicle has any kind of a problem in the next year, your oil change caused it. Guaranteed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Uregina09
I was waiting for the Demarpaint to pipe in with the obligatory "no good deed goes unpunished" comment. Two in the same thread - very impressive. Some people enjoy doing good deeds and aren't afraid of everything that could go wrong. It must be so depressing to live in constant fear.

If that vehicle has any kind of a problem in the next year, your oil change caused it. Guaranteed.

No fear here, just a friendly word of caution.
wink.gif

I was waiting for the Demarpaint to pipe in with the obligatory "no good deed goes unpunished" comment. Two warnings in the same thread - very impressive. Some people enjoy doing good deeds or taking a (reasonable) risk and aren't afraid of everything that could go wrong. It must be so depressing to think that everyone is out to get you or that new technology is the devil.

I'll be honest - Demar's sentiment was one of the first things I thought as well when I read the OP's post.

Why? It happens a LOT more often than you think it does.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon

I'll be honest - Demar's sentiment was one of the first things I thought as well when I read the OP's post.

Why? It happens a LOT more often than you think it does.

LOL It happens, sometimes often. I just got lucky and helped my neighbor loosen something used to hold a camera on some kind of stand. It went well with no problems, or surprises.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
I would use the shell oil and fram filter

+1 Good Combo.

Also, ecotecs are for the GM 4 cylinders. I should know, I got two of them :p

[/quote]Turned out to be a big mistake, for she had conventional oil in her ECOTEC, not synthetic which handles heat a little better. Had it been synthetic, she may have made it home and saved that engine. [/quote]That is B.S. because I have seen at work many engines so over heated that the valve seats dropped out of the cyl head and with a new head gasket and a trip to the machine shop for the head to be repaired all was good. The difference in syn oil max temps isn't enough to make a difference .

Well update time.... Found out my ladys friends vehicle was a 2011 Nissan Juke AV with a turbo and direct injection. My lady is like Helen Keller when it comes to vehicle identification
smile.gif
anyhow, I decided would go with Havoline Pro DS 5w30 and the Fram TG. Being it has both turbo and direct injection I felt this was a good answer. If it was the routine 2.5 fuel injected I would have gone with the Formula Shell 5w30. That oil in there prior to changing was rather black in color. Which makes sense given it is short tripped almost all the time and never gets to true operating temperature. My lady's friend has been changing the oil q 3k miles. Which is probably not a bad thing given her driving around town less than 10 minutes for the whole change interval. That is worst case scenario as a general rule.

Originally Posted By: CT8
[/quote]Turned out to be a big mistake, for she had conventional oil in her ECOTEC, not synthetic which handles heat a little better. Had it been synthetic, she may have made it home and saved that engine.
That is B.S. because I have seen at work many engines so over heated that the valve seats dropped out of the cyl head and with a new head gasket and a trip to the machine shop for the head to be repaired all was good. The difference in syn oil max temps isn't enough to make a difference .[/quote]

I was thinking along the same lines. The failure modes seen with severe overheating have nothing to do with the engine oil and no oil can prevent them.

Nobody said anything about preventing. I discussed the ability to drive a wee-bit further before the engine conks-out...... hence, a possible human being remains undamaged by thugs in a bad neighborhood.

Yep I don't do any services on friends cars, or friends of my wife's cars. It's burned me by people blaming you for something breaking that had nothing to do with your service, or by people assuming that you are their free mechanic who does everything for them on the car.

If you want to do something for the friend who doesn't have money, get a $19.99 oil change coupon for Firestone, pay for them to do it.

Why deal with someones sludge monster that's probably low on oil and abused.

This may sound anti BITOG, but when I lived in an apartment I used Firestone for oil changes, and sometimes used Jiffy Lube. Both did a fine job I had no issues, just had to dodge a few upsells by Jiffy Lube.

Most of america has oil changes done by a shop, not DIY.

Now, I have a heated garage and tools, so I do my own cars at home.

I think that crossing your fingers would have just as much effect in keeping a badly overheated engine running just a wee bit longer as would choice of oil.
Not even oils known for their superior resistance to heat like Red Line can delay the mechanical damage caused by severe overheating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back