1997 CRV - OIL Guzzler

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrQuackers

Site Donor 2024
Beater business truck, goes through a bit more than a quart of oil per 1k miles. About 235k on the odo, 2 liter automatic. Any advice to tame its hunger? TIA

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
Any advice to tame its hunger? TIA

Is there a puff of smoke on cold startup?

Follow the CR-V during a drive.
Cold and hot, have the CR-V driver
1) from stopped or at low-speed, accelerate full-throttle for a few seconds and then let off the gas suddenly
2) cruise at steady throttle
3) suddenly lift off the throttle on a downhill road and stay off the gas for a while
Any smoke in any case?

Thank you, I will do that soon. Is there a preferred replacent pcv valve for CRVs?

Check for oil leaks from Valve cover and plug holes. My son retired their '99 CRV with about the same miles and was OK for oil use. Click and Clack said that sub 500 MPQ is invisible in the exhaust.

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
Is there a preferred replacent pcv valve for CRVs?

Yeah, one from the dealer.

But your oil consumption is unlikely to have anything to do with the PCV system.

Another test I forgot about until just now: Take a peek inside the throttle body. Is it wet with oil? Then you have significant blowby, enough to overwhelm even a perfect PCV system. That's the typical mode-of-failure for the B-series.

Last edited:
Replacing the PCV valve and its associated hoses would be a good idea but I doubt that it's the source of all of your consumption.
What are you using for oil?
Most of Oregon has a pretty moderate climate, so trying something cheap and thick, like a 15W-40 HDEO, might be a good plan.
I round or two of Kreen to free what may be stuck rings might also be worth a shot.

Newly acquired so no idea. Will probably get some Quaker State Higher Mileage Engine 10w-30 in a few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back