M1-209 filter pics from 16,400 mi M1 EP OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMZ

Finally got around to cutting (hacking really) this filter open.

It is oversized for my application and I noted nothing out of the ordinary.

UOA for this run is here.

Filter: M1-209
Oil: Mobil 1 EP 5W-30
OCI: 16,400 mi
Application: 2008 Toyota 4 Runner V8 (2UZ-FE)

2r2x7pe.jpg

2rmmhsk.jpg

xlikgm.jpg

34eubk3.jpg

I use that exact filter on my V8 4Runner. It's longer than stock. I do 10K oil changes and 20K filter changes and I have an oil sample to go in this week. The oil is synthetic 0w-30 at 160K of hard work towing and lousy dirt roads in the desert.

Looks excellent to me, especially considering fci. And this M1 application uses the Champ design thread end bypass found in the Champ made factory filters for FoMoCo. Also thinking you used a premium filter as designed for an extended oci and got some ROI.

Thanks for c&p.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I use that exact filter on my V8 4Runner. It's longer than stock. I do 10K oil changes and 20K filter changes and I have an oil sample to go in this week. The oil is synthetic 0w-30 at 160K of hard work towing and lousy dirt roads in the desert.

What kind of 0-30?

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

What kind of 0-30?

Red Line. I work the 4Runner hard and have always had good results especially with what I consider for my application and extended interval, 10K. Others here have had good results with a 10K interval and a couple of people here at work go 15K. One 15K car is a 96 850 Volvo turbo wagon, last of the real Volvo's before Ford, that's just past 250K miles with no problems. It appears that Red Line is an excellent oil for longer intervals.

Media looks a little tired to me. Second picture in the bottom left corner, I see a build up of something where the media meets the end cap. Of course this is just a picture but I would dig in between the pleats where they meet the end caps with a tooth pick. You might find a carbon/sludge build up. The best way to examine the media is to cut if off of the centre tube and stretch it out holding it up to a bright light. Could be some holes in it but you'll never know unless you look.
Thanks for the pics.

Good combo; I hope to get the same from Amsoil.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
Media looks a little tired to me. Second picture in the bottom left corner, I see a build up of something where the media meets the end cap. Of course this is just a picture but I would dig in between the pleats where they meet the end caps with a tooth pick. You might find a carbon/sludge build up. The best way to examine the media is to cut if off of the centre tube and stretch it out holding it up to a bright light. Could be some holes in it but you'll never know unless you look.
Thanks for the pics.

I saw that also....might be glue?

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments guys, was fun to cut this one open and examine after the OCI. Based on the UOA I didnt feel the need to examine further.

I ditched the filter before I could really examine that brown substance, but I picked at it with my finger and it was very hard so maybe adhesive?

Ive been driving a lot so I might hit 15k by the end of summer. This was my last M1 filter, Im all in on the Ultra from here on out.

Originally Posted By: GMZ
Thanks for the comments guys, was fun to cut this one open and examine after the OCI. Based on the UOA I didnt feel the need to examine further.

Interesting, what in your UOA would be indicative of the filter's performance?

I'm using this same one on a 06 tundra external AT spin-on mount. I have one waiting to cut open - only put 15-20k on it just to see how it held up. I'll try to give a report soon.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: GMZ

Interesting, what in your UOA would be indicative of the filter's performance?

Wear metals and insolubles being within normal range/universal averages after a full OCI tell me the filter (and the oil to be fair) did its job.

Of course we can't truly gauge a filter's effectiveness without conducting a particle count, but thats further than Im willing to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back