Doctor left private practice for USAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
This topic is political but it is from a real conversation I had during lunch this week.

A coworker Sam told me an interesting story about his doctor. Sam is retired Air Force. His doctor left his private practice 5 years ago and entered the Air Force as a colonel. The doctor is in a specialty field but I don't remember which one. The doctor told Sam his new job in the Air Force is less stressful, and it pays very well. He had been taken to court 2 times for medical malpractice that resulted in defense verdicts. Now, he can not be sued.

Sam thinks there are many private doctors that would like to be Air Force doctors, and a health system like the military's would be a good one for the whole country. Now, the US may be in a good position to make drastic changes. Do you think a military type of health system would be a good replacement?

I wont make any political statement. Just sharing facts....

My brother, "the idiot", flys a desk in the Air Farce Preserves as ...HE ..puts it. He was deployed to England to fly his desk and drink alot of beer. He made mucho $$$ for doing that.

So he comes to Thanksgiving in his new Cadillac. Spouts off about his military discount. We go to eat... military discount. He shows me his newly remodeled house... mortgage military discount. Haircut....military discount. Children's college.... military discount. Healthcare.... "I can get whatever pills and tests I want because the want good scores." "You should see the Ambien abuse and fooling around."

Now this is a guy who crashed several cars as a civilian drunk, was a D student at best, dates strippers, and can now do all of this at a discount.

Meanwhile all I do is teach kids how to read and overcome their abusive homes. My reward?...Blamed as the cause of State budget shortfalls and have no dental no vision coverage even offered and a $15,000 deductable.

Facts...not opinion.

I think we ALL should be in the Air Force every single citizen.

Risk / Reward

I worked for the Fed Gov and took a pay cut when I started. I gave up the chance for more money but knew I would still get promotions for doing my job and have a 40hr work week.

Private doctors will make more than Gov but they may work more/have more claims/etc... So like many things you have to decide whats more important. When I did staffing it was harder to hire new lawyers out of college many times as they wanted the money/glory. Yet we had a lot of old timer lawyers applying as they wanted 40hr work weeks and had enough saved to be happy.

What makes someone happy can be different for many.

I heard the police horror stories of no pay............
My local police are making double what the average auto worker makes here.
Of course they deserve it but not worthy of crying over their pay.

A family member that is a principal at a local HS sings the blues about $150K a year....
Oh please
smile.gif

I have friends who are teachers in Ohio and earn "typical" teacher salaries in the 40s-50s. When we lived in NY/NJ, I had several neighbors who were teachers and earning 100K+ !!!

My neighbor was a barber in a shop his father had for years. He closed the shop and went to work for the VA in a 100 bed hospital. Made $80k a year somehow and is now retired at 60% working income and a 3% raise every year with fully paid health insurance.

Grew up in the military (Father was in the medical service core), then spent 20 years active duty, retired now.

No, I do not think a military type of health system would be a good replacement.

The average citizen doesn't make the sacrifice that those in the military do, the military system is NOT designed for the average person.

It would take me twenty typed pages to tell of all the horror stories over the years.

Strongly, I say again, no!

FL State Troopers start out making $34k per year and up to $38k for southern FL. They estimate the annual benefits to be worth $17k per year. I don't believe they have to pay state income tax. Their annual base salary is among the lowest in the country for state troopers. I think OH Troopers start out making 54k or so.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
FL State Troopers start out making $34k per year and up to $38k for southern FL. They estimate the annual benefits to be worth $17k per year. I don't believe they have to pay state income tax. Their annual base salary is among the lowest in the country for state troopers. I think OH Troopers start out making 54k or so.

Depends on experience. most come in with some experience..
I know a local PD was advertising 14.50$-19$/hour.

So if they are at 20$/hr+50hour weeks =57k, 40 hour week would be 41.6k
Also you can pick up tons of overtime doing security work here.. so depending on how those numbers are crunched.. you can get wildly different income numbers.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

Saw something on Orlando TV a couple weeks ago.. Florida Troopers (Florida Highway Patrol) are among the lowest paid in the country. New York State Troopers (NYSP) and California Troopers (CHP) are the highest, STARTING around $75k a year.

Florida having trouble getting FHP recruits as cities like Orlando pay more.

Eventually the people will realize the government pensions will bankrupt them. It is a good thing the vast majority of the voters are so ignorant to the criminal aspect of the government.

Originally Posted By: ctrcbob

Saw something on Orlando TV a couple weeks ago.. Florida Troopers (Florida Highway Patrol) are among the lowest paid in the country. New York State Troopers (NYSP) and California Troopers (CHP) are the highest, STARTING around $75k a year.

Florida having trouble getting FHP recruits as cities like Orlando pay more.

FHP is seen as a crummy deal among law enforcement circles. I've heard things like, "Who wants to spend all day turning left?" and "Paid nothing to do nothing.".

With regards to the original topic; I am from a military family. No, I don't think that busted medical system should replace our busted medical system.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet

The average citizen doesn't make the sacrifice that those in the military do, the military system is NOT designed for the average person.

I'm not from a military background and truly don't know this so I ask the question, what percentage of our military personnel make a sacrifice and what exactly is it? Being deployed and in combat situations obviously but how many (percentage) end up in a 9-5 support job that happens to be with Uncle Sugar? Are there other sacrifices civilians don't know about? thanks

Originally Posted By: jorton

This topic is political but it is from a real conversation I had during lunch this week.

A coworker Sam told me an interesting story about his doctor. Sam is retired Air Force. His doctor left his private practice 5 years ago and entered the Air Force as a colonel. The doctor is in a specialty field but I don't remember which one. The doctor told Sam his new job in the Air Force is less stressful, and it pays very well. He had been taken to court 2 times for medical malpractice that resulted in defense verdicts. Now, he can not be sued.

Sam thinks there are many private doctors that would like to be Air Force doctors, and a health system like the military's would be a good one for the whole country. Now, the US may be in a good position to make drastic changes. Do you think a military type of health system would be a good replacement?

Last time I checked the highest rank is Captain for a doctor entering the USAF.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
I wont make any political statement. Just sharing facts....

My brother, "the idiot", flys a desk in the Air Farce Preserves as ...HE ..puts it. He was deployed to England to fly his desk and drink alot of beer. He made mucho $$$ for doing that.

So he comes to Thanksgiving in his new Cadillac. Spouts off about his military discount. We go to eat... military discount. He shows me his newly remodeled house... mortgage military discount. Haircut....military discount. Children's college.... military discount. Healthcare.... "I can get whatever pills and tests I want because the want good scores." "You should see the Ambien abuse and fooling around."

Now this is a guy who crashed several cars as a civilian drunk, was a D student at best, dates strippers, and can now do all of this at a discount.

Meanwhile all I do is teach kids how to read and overcome their abusive homes. My reward?...Blamed as the cause of State budget shortfalls and have no dental no vision coverage even offered and a $15,000 deductable.

Facts...not opinion.

I think we ALL should be in the Air Force every single citizen.

Sounds like you need a career change if you have such poor benefits package.

For those in the know, are military people subject to being deployed anywhere, anytime, for any reason? Given the world situation, there may be some risk to be military.
confused2.gif
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
For those in the know, are military people subject to being deployed anywhere, anytime, for any reason? Given the world situation, there may be some risk to be military.
confused2.gif
21.gif

I'm not "in the know" but that's a fairly basic part of putting on the uniform.

It's supposed to be safer to be deployed overseas than to stay in the US, as the risk of being shot or murdered is lower.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet

I'm not from a military background and truly don't know this so I ask the question, what percentage of our military personnel make a sacrifice and what exactly is it? Being deployed and in combat situations obviously but how many (percentage) end up in a 9-5 support job that happens to be with Uncle Sugar? Are there other sacrifices civilians don't know about? thanks

100% - EVERYONE in the military can be put in harms way at a moments notice. Keep in mind that even in peacetime, most jobs in the military are the most dangerous there is.

You mention civilians, I think you mean Government employed civilians. I'm not going there as I've never been one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back