Goodbye car; Hello phone as Favorite toy

Status
Not open for further replies.
More-and-more I hear that millennials don't view cars as a necessity.

They care more abut their phones, and they view their first phone as when they "became adults" instead of the first car. They think of phones as truly liberating.

Originally Posted By: veryHeavy

I don't find that to be anywhere near remotely true. Adults (talking 35ish+, you're not REALLY an adult at 18) are the ones capable of admitting they don't need a car and taking the bus. I tried multiple times when I was in school to convince kids you don't actually need a car to live, and no one was ever having any of it. They think they need a car. Whether it's a 98 civic with rust holes in every panel, or a 2017 BMW X5.

Now, do some people need a car for the way they currently live? Yes. But 99.999% of people could survive fine without a car.

Your age bracket bought phones for them, you are the enabler..
laugh.gif

Whats also odd is they don't really care for social media. At least the boys don't.

Originally Posted By: horse123

I don't find that to be anywhere near remotely true. Adults (talking 35ish+, you're not REALLY an adult at 18) are the ones capable of admitting they don't need a car and taking the bus. I tried multiple times when I was in school to convince kids you don't actually need a car to live, and no one was ever having any of it. They think they need a car. Whether it's a 98 civic with rust holes in every panel, or a 2017 BMW X5.

Now, do some people need a car for the way they currently live? Yes. But 99.999% of people could survive fine without a car.

Which Portland are you? Gotta have a car in Maine

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals

Which Portland are you? Gotta have a car in Maine

Probably the other Portland. That's the only way he could assume that 99.999% of people don't need a car. Typical big city mentality.

Get real.

We dont all live in big cities, or want to. I'll gladly drive MY car into the cities for your beer and food, and retain the liberty to leave so I dont have to deal with rampant hipsters, libtards, or euro-centric day dreamers.

Car over phone anyday. Got my first flip phone only 9 years ago at age 25. I like my phone but its only a means of getting hold of people not games and social media. Man and machine will always be number one for me.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

We dont all live in big cities, or want to. I'll gladly drive MY car into the cities for your beer and food, and retain the liberty to leave so I dont have to deal with rampant hipsters, libtards, or euro-centric day dreamers.

What's up with all the ranting recently?

Says you, I live 20 miles from any type of big store.
grin.gif

Wow, your other comment was completely unacceptable. What a child.

Last edited:
I find your 99.999% figure exaggerated by about 90%.
For those outside of dense urban areas, there is no option.
If I could use mass transit to get to work, I might due so a few times each week.
Alas, it isn't an option and it isn't in very many parts of our country.
This country grew up around the car, for better or for worse.
The deluge of Model Ts liberated the rural folks and there was no looking back.
Interestingly, the Model T was actually cheaper to buy in terms of percentage of family income than are the lowest tier cars of today.
A smart phone is a useful tool, just like a car is.

They care more abut their phones, and they view their first phone as when they "became adults" instead of the first car. They think of phones as truly liberating.

Young people rely on Uber or Lyft. Car ownership is not important to them.

One of the CEOs (can't remember which one) for a major car manufacturer has said that the car business will change dramatically over the next twenty years due to automated and car sharing industries.

If one could not own a car-or use an automated ride for short trips-it would eliminate the need for two cars and decrease maintenance on the car you own.

Originally Posted By: thunderfog
No way, man. Your car is your castle at those ages.

You have to tell that to the couples of all ages I have seen using mass transit in Chicago, New York, and New Orleans to name a few.

Agreed, I've often found it slight overkill when a family of 5 owns 6 vehicles especially when living in the city. The bus system can get you nearly anywhere you need to go at a young age, I rode my bike for years with no regret. My oldest son lives in the country and insist on not owning a vehicle, he's 26 and ever time I talk to him about it he just says "It makes no sense for me to own a vehicle when my job is 2 blocks away. I will be paying much more each month in insurance alone then I will ever spend that month in gas".

Honestly I agree with him as well, he and his girlfriend both bough a car together and she mainly uses it as her job is a 30-ish miles away. They live in a good spot tho to be honest which really makes the country life for them easy. They have a large market a few blocks away, a pharmacy and a doctors office all hidden on a remote back road most people around here don't even know about. It makes sense tho when you consider every town around them is 20 miles in any one direction tho.

I can't picture myself picking up a hot date riding with Uber or Lyft staring at a smart phone. You city boys been snorting too much smog.

It's AOK with me! I'd rather NOT have them driving. They're probably too braindead to properly and responsibly own an automobile. Give them a nice bicycle with a basket and they'll make do haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back