Holiday luncheon @ work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Threads like this make me really glad that I now work at a company that treats it's employees and contractors well; with co-workers who I like and enjoy talking to and share similar interests. We get free lunch every Tuesday for our (productive) team meetings. It's so different going to a job I enjoy doing with people I enjoy working with, than previous places I worked. My boss occasionally buys us lunch, and it's nice to have a boss who gets his hands dirty and leads instead of directs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
Attending sends a message. NOT ATTENDING sends a message.

It's up to you to decide which message you want to send.

No paid holidays and taking away the last useful benefits we had also sends a message. When you've done that, it takes a lot of gall to throw a "holiday party" for us peons. Just remember...when someone throws you a bone, it's because you're being treated like a DOG.

Originally Posted By: GrtArtiste
Originally Posted By: CKN
Attending sends a message. NOT ATTENDING sends a message.

It's up to you to decide which message you want to send.

No paid holidays and taking away the last useful benefits we had also sends a message. When you've done that, it takes a lot of gall to throw a "holiday party" for us peons. Just remember...when someone throws you a bone, it's because you're being treated like a DOG.

All true....as what I said is very true.

I attended a group for job seekers in 2009 just before getting the job I have now. A "life coach" (love that term) presented to each group of us newbies during a breakout session at my first meeting. He said, "Companies expect loyalty and dedication from employees but are not willing to give it in return. Welcome to the new reality."

So, you send whatever message you want to send, keeping this in mind. I'm an obstinate contrarian so I can't say that I advise people to follow MY lead. It has, at times, hindered my so-called career, but I can look in the mirror and not be ashamed of what I see.

I always attended company holiday luncheons, dinners, parties, whatever.
My advice........
eat, drink, and be Mary if that is your thing, the party is for YOU, appreciate it.
So many wish they had a job, to gripe about the holiday party!

My technique if a buffet......
elbow your way to the front of the line, load your plate with all the good stuff,
place plate on table with your awful co-workers, go to the dessert table, load up with all the good stuff, go back to table and leave dessert plate, go back and fill another plate for a "invalid" relative that lives with you (your dog Ruff loves smoked ham, right?)
return to table and eat like John Belushi on Animal House.

Stay long enough to annoy everyone at your table with bad manners (some need no coaching) and then leave with enough food to feed Ruff and your girlfriend (does she like smoked ham?)
Next year, you will have a table of your own!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back