All these holidays..

Think this has came up before on here but I really really hate all the "holidays" anymore. You know the ones you're expected to buy someone something or you're a horrible person. I should say growing up I don't remember anything about mother/fathers day, valentines and a few others. We didn't do anything special and dad never got mom anything for valentines as I remember it, neither did my grandparents. Maybe it was a farm family thing. The main holidays were 4th of July, Halloween for the kids, Thanksgiving and Christmas. And those were more about getting together than anything.

Yeah someone is rather mad I didn't have anything big planned last weekend. Although I did but didn't get a chance before what's become normal came out, you kinda lose your mood for it after that. Instead of spending $100 on junk I'd rather spend that on the kitchen or other projects.. That didn't go well either. Let's just say the boys hid till she left.

I know everyone has different thoughts on this. Maybe I'm wrong? Perhaps I need to go back to the farm and hide.

Think this has came up before on here but I really really hate all the "holidays" anymore. You know the ones you're expected to buy someone something or you're a horrible person. I should say growing up I don't remember anything about mother/fathers day, valentines and a few others. We didn't do anything special and dad never got mom anything for valentines as I remember it, neither did my grandparents. Maybe it was a farm family thing. The main holidays were 4th of July, Halloween for the kids, Thanksgiving and Christmas. And those were more about getting together than anything.

Yeah someone is rather mad I didn't have anything big planned last weekend. Although I did but didn't get a chance before what's become normal came out, you kinda lose your mood for it after that. Instead of spending $100 on junk I'd rather spend that on the kitchen or other projects.. That didn't go well either. Let's just say the boys hid till she left.

I know everyone has different thoughts on this. Maybe I'm wrong? Perhaps I need to go back to the farm and hide.
I get pushing back against the "Hallmark holidays", but it's hard to argue that you're protesting against commercialization ("junk") if you don't make some kind of personal effort instead. Preparing a nice home-cooked meal, doing the dishes, planning a low-key family activity where she gets to kick back a bit...

I love holidays especially the ones we can be off work for and still get paid haha. Memorial Day is coming up we get the day off and paid for it. Mother’s Day we had a nice cookout but to be honest I didn’t get my mom anything. She insists she doesn’t need anything but I wish i would have gotten her a little something. She wanted to take pictures with both of us kids at the cookout so we all got pictures together even though I hate pictures I’m not going to say no.

We always have get togethers on the holidays too which I love. Christmas is my favorite because of the presents but you can’t beat family time either. Thanksgiving is for the food, 4th of July is for the food while you celebrate. That’s always the day I drink the most on haha. We have a cookout planned for Memorial Day I’m getting steaks and beer at least that’s the plan for right now. Valentine’s Day is nothing to me I don’t have anyone to share that with. Hopefully I will one day when I overcome my fears and can actually talk to a girl lol. I don’t mind spending a little bit here and there. In my opinion life is too short to not celebrate holidays. Plus it takes your mind off everything else for a day or two.

It's a big deal for those mom's out there and they deserve their special day. I always thought fathers lucked out because the weather is so much nicer on father's day versus mothers day. I like the little special days and the 4th of July is one of my favorites. The company I worked for was very generous and gave us a lot of extra days off when other people had to work. Memorial day is so busy at the boat docks that I try to avoid fishing on that weekend.

Zero holidays should be about buying stuff.
The only day I will accept a gift is my birthday.
Its a long story, but I suddenly find myself a widower, and raising my granddaughter.
So have been teaching her the significance of these special days. At Christmas we went away on a fun trip, but no gifts were exchanged.
Many people it seems have lost sight of the significance of these days, and think that its just about a gift.

Holidays at this time of year is a touchy subject. Embrace solitude if it’s to your liking. Embrace family and friends if that’s your thing. Be comfortable in your own skin. Listen more than you talk. You’re worth a lot more to others than you realize. However you do it I hope all forum members take a deep breath and enjoy this time of year.

Back