0W20 to 5W30 causing CEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
2011 Honda Accord sedan 2.4 4 cyl. 51,000 miles. Calls for 0W20 on the oil cap but it had oil consumption issues.

When I brought the car the dealer put 5W30 in it(oil was way too thick for 0W20). I changed it to 0W20 after. Ran fine no CELs but it did consume a quart every 2500 miles. There is a TSB for the piston rings but the car was out of warranty so I just moved up 1 viscosity for the oil(5W30). Did the change at 48,000 miles and has not consumed a drop of oil since.

Hit 51,000 miles and this past sunday the CEL came on while driving on the highway. Thing drove fine. Monday morning when i started the car no light, but after driving for a few minutes it came back on.

Took to my mechanic and he said the code was for a oil pressure sensor issue. I didn't catch the actual code on the phone, he just said it indicated a oil pressure sensor issue or something.

He called today and asked what oil I used, I said 5W30 and he believes that is the problem. Could be be right? He says he is going to change the oil first and if it still exists, it may be the sensor.

I've ran 5W30 oil in a few cars that call for 0W20 and have never had an issue. Its Mobil 1 Advanced full synthetic along with a M1 or NAPA gold oil filter.

Running 5w30 should not cause any issues. There should be a diagnostic procedure for the switch. Did the mechanic perform that test?

I doubt if this problem was caused by the oil, might just be your Indy is in need of some extra dosh for Christmas. Valvoline or GTX 15w40 and an orange or black can of death, followed by a bill for M1 0w40 and a genuine OEM Mann filter.

Perhaps the thin 5w30 kills low oil level or pressure codes!

Last edited:
Could've been a coincidence, I figure if the oil had something to do with it it would've thrown the CEL right after the oil change, not 3k later. Id clear it out, as long as he does an oil pressure test and it passes I would think faulty oil pressure sensor, or just an odd occurrence. I did have issues with Napa filters causing low oil pressure on Jeeps, but don't know if that applies here.

Was the code P2646 ? If the oil pressure sensor is not working right, It'll effect the VTEC variable cylinder management system. See James Danner video.

Originally Posted By: Audios
Could've been a coincidence, I figure if the oil had something to do with it it would've thrown the CEL right after the oil change, not 3k later. Id clear it out, as long as he does an oil pressure test and it passes I would think faulty oil pressure sensor, or just an odd occurrence. I did have issues with Napa filters causing low oil pressure on Jeeps, but don't know if that applies here.

Exactly what I said. If it was the oil it would have went off the second i took it off of the ramps, not nearly 6 months/3k later. I don't remember what filter i put on it. Believe it was either Mobil 1 or Napa Gold. Also, i would think a bad viscosity would throw the oil light and not a CEL.

Hopefully the oil change fixes it, if not atleast he's got it narrowed down to the sensors.

I also put on winter tires that are slightly smaller in OD than the factory spec. I swear every time I mess with the wheels on a car it coincidentally throws a code that has nothing to do with it lol

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Was the code P2646 ? If the oil pressure sensor is not working right, It'll effect the VTEC variable cylinder management system. See James Danner video.

I believe so. Could the sensor be effected by slightly thicker oil? I mean maybe its just a honda thing but ive never had issues running a slightly thicker oil in any of my cars except thing one.

This isn't an oil viscosity issue.
If it were, Hondas would be throwing codes everywhere all the time all winter long.
You may have an oil pressure sender issue.
These are usually pretty cheap and easy to change.

I agree, if the oil thickness was to blame, it would have thrown a code much earlier than several thousand miles. Sensors/senders do go bad.

I have a bad oil pressure sensor on my avalanche, it has nothing to do with oil viscosity, they sometimes just go bad.

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
I doubt if this problem was caused by the oil, might just be your Indy is in need of some extra dosh for Christmas. Valvoline or GTX 15w40 and an orange or black can of death, followed by a bill for M1 0w40 and a genuine OEM Mann filter.

Perhaps the thin 5w30 kills low oil level or pressure codes!

Re-read the opening post.
As we say on this side of the pond, reading is fundamental.
Or do you really mean that a shop that thinks a problem might have been caused by too thick a grade might somehow be fixed with an even thicker one?

Honda has an extended warranty for oil consumption in the '11 Accord w/the 2.4. It is now 8 years and 125k miles. We received a letter from Honda in August of last year for the '11 in my sig. IIRC, in order to qualify for the repair, consumption must be greater than 1 quart in 1000 miles.

Originally Posted By: yesthatsteve
Honda has an extended warranty for oil consumption in the '11 Accord w/the 2.4. It is now 8 years and 125k miles. We received a letter from Honda in August of last year for the '11 in my sig. IIRC, in order to qualify for the repair, consumption must be greater than 1 quart in 1000 miles.

Really? I thought it was only the 2008-2010 model years. Do you know if some 2012's were affected?

First, bumping up 1 viscosity grade (or more for that matter) would not trigger CEL. Second, bumping up 1 viscosity grade should slow oil consumption that much.

vvt timing relies on whatever oil weight your engine calls for. it is mission critical !!

If you want to clean your piston rings put half a can of seafoam in oil for 300 miles. "do not overefill your oil".

If you don't want to use an "additive" just change your oil with castrol edge high mileage.

Change your oil. use either castrol edge or edge hm 20wt. the edge high mileage has alot of detergent in it.

Save $$ go to wally world to buy oil.

Keep an eye on your dipstick. when it gets a bit dark looking you have the option to just change oil filter if you wish.

and as always change your oil later when it gets dirty.

remember the max life of any oil to keep acid down to a good level is 5000-7500 Miles max.

Hope this helps.
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I have a bad oil pressure sensor on my avalanche, it has nothing to do with oil viscosity, they sometimes just go bad.

Same here on my '08 V8 TrailBlazer. The oil Pressure Sensor decided to go bellyup after an oil change.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: yesthatsteve

Really? I thought it was only the 2008-2010 model years. Do you know if some 2012's were affected?

Honda evidently announced it in May of last year - http://www.leftlanenews.com/honda-extends-accord-crv-warranty-over-fouled-piston-rings-88528.html

I don't think they've extended it to the '12 model year. Yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back