Anyone reload the 6.5mm Arisaka?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well all the school rifles were at one time military rifles and hence safe to shoot. The training rifles never were military rifles and hence not safe. I am assuming that is why the hardcore collectors made that distinction.

Here is a page with all the Arisaka markings. I have an arisaka bayonet my grandfather brought back from New Guinea and used it to decode the marking on it. Too bad it did not also come back with its matching rifle. I have a gun from every major belligerent in ww2 except Japan.

http://oldmilitarymarkings.com/japanese_markings.html

Ooooh, you need one. We need to find you a good Arisaka or two, or three.

There is a reason for this. Type 38 in 6.5mm used up until early WW-II era. Largely transferred to the Japanese Navy when the Army went to 7.7mm Type 99 in all it's variations. The reason to go to the 7.7 was because it was already common in the machine gun line-up ...

Then the rare beast - the Type I (Italian) which may not have been issued, or issued to select forces only... 6.5mm built by various Italian Arsenals and Beretta under contract. Carcano bolt and trigger, rear portion of receiver, all other details as per Arisaka like magazine, etc. No Mum as they did not want to "embarrass the Emperor" by putting Mum on Italian rifles ...

You need one of each, and no, not selling any of mine. Happy shopping
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: jjjxlr8
1) Training Rifles ...

Oooh, very nice collection. Excellent pieces.

As I understand it, some of the school guns went to non-Military schools. Secondary schools and universities that had some sorts of pre-Military programs. It's not clear but I have read somewhere about some high schools with training programs ... We do know that the training rifles went to Military Accadamies among other venues...

I have not found a scholarly work that really describes the whole gamut of the various training regimens ...

Back to reloading the 6.5 and the 7.7. A friend of mine gave me a loading press in pieces and pretty well stuck. It was her Dad's and he lived in Santa Barbara (near the sea) so it was pretty rusted from salt air. But, some oil and work and it's free and working pretty smoothly.

So I have to get some dies and decapper and all that for each caliber of interest. I'm leaning towards the Lee three die sets since they come with collet neck sizers and since I have a limited number of rifles, I can keep the reloaded ammo separate for each rifle. Once fired cases can be neck sized only to save on working the brass too much ...

I just got a Lyman 55 powder measure on eBay with the box and instructions for cheap enough. So now to start picking the loads of interest? I was thinking IMR 4064, but maybe one of you'all know of a good medium speed ball powder that will work well? I'm all ears and eyes to any input you'all can offer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back