cartridge Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure - but I found there seem to be less online so I bought a 10 pack ...
Just did the same on a hard to find synthetic ATF ...

I have 3 cars presently (VW, Lotus, and Porsche) that use cartridge filters and have had some in the past as well. I much prefer them to spin ons, especially when they are mounted top side for easy access. I have used Mahle, Mann, Fram Ultra, and Wix cartridge filters. I read bad things about the Wix filtration level so I stick to the first three now. If Fram Ultra is available in the fitment I use that as I have found it to be equal to or superior to the German manufacturers while being easier to locate and cheaper here in the USA.

Originally Posted By: Dan55
Type of Vehicles?

I have a 2011 Hyundai Genesis for the last 5 years and have only used Hyundai cartridge filters and change the oil 5-6K miles and the filter looks practically new when I change the oil. I have always changed the filter when I change the oil. Our new car is a 2015 Kia Cadenza and I purchased two cartridge filters from Kia but they don't look as sturdy as the Hyundai ones due to the end cap and they are more expensive. I paid a little over $12 for the kia filters and I think the Hyundai's are around $7.50.

Thanks,
Rod

[/quote] Does anyone know for sure whether Hengst still makes them? [/quote]

I have emailed AC Delco and will post their answer when I get it.

My experience is limited, but the Mahle filters on her Volvo always come out looking as straight as new. I think I paid $16 something shipped for 4 on Rock Auto?

My mom's 4Runner takes a cartridge, but I am running a WIX at the moment. We shall see how it looks after 10k. Toyota filters are so cheap on Amazon or at the dealer though so I'll probably go back to those.

I get a pretty big mess when I take my spin off filter off from under the car. It points up so the oil above it drains out and it's quite a lot of oil comes out. When the adbv is good. I look forward to having one of those newer ones with the drain plug in the bottom. I haven't had many Toyotas but this 07 Prius and now gone 02 Camry haven't had issues like others I have had. The pointing up cartridge does mean the filter can't drain out over time. The plug in the bottom with spring loaded seal behind it seems like a good idea.

I would like to find the link to where the EPA made companies go to cartridges. The only cartridge filter I have had was on a 1950 Mercury and a 2001 Mercedes E320. The last I looked the EPA wasn't around in 1950 and Germany is a little out of reach. Or could it be people just make things up?

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
We have 5 cars in our immediate family that use cartridge filter (MB,Volvo,VW) Hengst and Mann always look great when replaced. I have never seen anything resembling tears in any brand I use, but one filter used by several name companies (mine were Pennzoil Platinum) has plastic end caps {Made in USA) After a OCI the filter looks like it got sucked in a bit toward the center tube (correct app for car). This has happened on several cars so it seems it is the filter....Avoid those. I just installed a Fram Ultra on my sons new T6 R Design Volvo. Strange looking filter but hopefully like other Ultras it will do the job. You can find Mann or Hengst sometimes resold by other filter companies who I assume don't sell enough of that model to justify their own production of them. As always open up the box and take a peek. Might save a few dollars. Last but not least OEM..Euro's will usually be Mann or Hengst anyway.

FWIW: On my son's '07 Volvo S80 (3.2L NA), the cartridge filter is top mounted and makes for an "almost" mess free filter change. I use the OEM filters made by Mann. I really have grown to like these over the canister filters used on my other cars. Much larger filter media surface area (at least for this particular Volvo engine design) and easy to inspect. I do a ~5-6K OCI with Castrol Edge 0W-40 oil (8.2QT).

Originally Posted By: tc1446
Does anyone know for sure whether Hengst still makes them? [/quote]

I have emailed AC Delco and will post their answer when I get it. [/quote]

Not sure if they still do but I had a few older Delcos and it said Hengst right on the filter.

I got a reply fro AC Delco which said they still contract with Hengst and have NO plans to discontinue.

Nevertheless, if you shop on Ebay or Amazon and the filter doesn't show Hengst written on it, more than likely
it comes from Bulgaria. If I could buy just one to see what it looks like, I would.

Originally Posted By: tc1446
I got a reply fro AC Delco which said they still contract with Hengst and have NO plans to discontinue.

Nevertheless, if you shop on Ebay or Amazon and the filter doesn't show Hengst written on it, more than likely
it comes from Bulgaria. If I could buy just one to see what it looks like, I would.

Bulgarian made: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-12-EACHES-ACDelco-PF457GF-Engine-Oil-Filter-/191462713808?hash=item2c941129d0:m:mtVbQ2fPavj6Z_UtaahUgIA&vxp=mtr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back