The Cost Of Cartridge Filters Compared To Spin Ons

I own a Subaru Forester and a Jeep Grand Cherokee. The Forester uses a spin on filter and the Grand Cherokee uses a cartridge. When I compare the two, visually the cartridge filter is so much simpler than the spin on but is priced higher. Have a look a the comparison table below. I took a shot at putting together the components, materials and operations. I used the Fram Tough Guard versions of the filters. Both are USA made.

When they get totaled the cartridge filter has 42%-50% less components, materials and process steps but is priced 24% higher than the spin on.

Any thoughts as to why this is?

Thank you.

1685040557005.jpg

Everyone likes to gouge cartridge filters, charging you more for less :sneaky:

Sometimes, the difference is due to economies of scale.

Also, the best filter for your Pentastar is the new Fram Endurance FE11665 :)

Although Fram is the OE supplier to Subaru, they actually don't sell the Subaru bypass filter to the aftermarket. Therefore, you're better off with Wix or Full for now.

I own a Subaru Forester and a Jeep Grand Cherokee. The Forester uses a spin on filter and the Grand Cherokee uses a cartridge. When I compare the two, visually the cartridge filter is so much simpler than the spin on but is priced higher. Have a look a the comparison table below. I took a shot at putting together the components, materials and operations. I used the Fram Tough Guard versions of the filters. Both are USA made.

When they get totaled the cartridge filter has 42%-50% less components, materials and process steps but is priced 24% higher than the spin on.

Any thoughts as to why this is?

Thank you.

View attachment 157730

My WAG is that a specific canister can be used in more engines vs a specific cartridge.

Last edited:
Not sure why but some genius decided that a spin on filter was obsolete... probably a greenie 🍏🍏
You're probably not far off. Cartridge filters have a lot less waste and are easier to dispose of. The only problem with cartridge is that they introduce another point of failure via the attachment of the oil filter housing to the engine block.

You're probably not far off. Cartridge filters have a lot less waste and are easier to dispose of. The only problem with cartridge is that they introduce another point of failure via the attachment of the oil filter housing to the engine block.
How is that any different than a spin-on filter? Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, I see both as pretty much the same.

How is that any different than a spin-on filter? Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, I see both as pretty much the same.
I was under the impression that a spin-on almost always attached directly to the block unless things have changed. Cartridge filters fit into a housing which is itself attached to the block with a gasket in-between the housing and block. I haven't used a spin-on filter since 2000.

I was under the impression that a spin-on almost always attached directly to the block unless things have changed. Cartridge filters fit into a housing which is itself attached to the block with a gasket in-between the housing and block. I haven't used a spin-on filter since 2000.
OK, well, you're both right and wrong. You even addressed that when you said "... a spin-on almost always attached directly to the block".

Some do and many (that I've seen) don't using instead a mount or housing that attaches to the block. I'm saying mostly because for the past couple of months I've been watching a number of engine teardowns and a majority number of filters are mounted in that manner.

Also, my own experience shows the Toyota cartridge filters are mounted to the block.

Just an assumption but maybe the packaging and rubber rings because you open up the box it’s got a plastic package with the required o-rings in it and the new filter and some like Toyota filters come with a thing you can drain the housing with. Plus the rubber o-rings. And not forget the box which is usually way bigger than the filter but not always. I know there is a few certain Toyota filters that come with only one o-ring instead of two and they are a couple dollars cheaper than the ones with two. I wish they used spin ons on everything. I’m not going to stir the pot for any reasons as to why most use cartridge filters now but I think it’s obvious.

Just an assumption but maybe the packaging and rubber rings because you open up the box it’s got a plastic package with the required o-rings in it and the new filter and some like Toyota filters come with a thing you can drain the housing with. Plus the rubber o-rings. And not forget the box which is usually way bigger than the filter but not always. I know there is a few certain Toyota filters that come with only one o-ring instead of two and they are a couple dollars cheaper than the ones with two. I wish they used spin ons on everything. I’m not going to stir the pot for any reasons as to why most use cartridge filters now but I think it’s obvious.
That's a good point and worthy of consideration. That thing that you can use to drain the housing is called ... wait for it ... a cartridge drain plug Parenthetically, it seems that most techs and certainly many DIYers don't bother using that, preferring to unscrew the cartridge housing just like a spin-on filter.

1685046319861.jpeg

Or through hoses that leak and then through the engine mount if you are BMW.

My WAG is that a specific canister can be used in more engines vs a specific cartridge.
I like your theory. But in the auto industry, any one vehicle line has enough volume to amortize any new tooling very quickly and even automate the process. Components, materials and processes drive cost and the spin on is way more complex. The conundrum continues :unsure: . . .

IMO it comes down to manufacturing volume. Cartridge filters are gaining popularity but canister filters are a lot more popular still.

Just my $0.02

If you want my WAG - the most expensive filter made has a manufactured cost - Material, labor and factory burden, excluding R&D of $1.00. The cheapest filter made cost $0.50.

The rest is about marketing and how much they figured your willing to pay.

There is a lack of experience with cartridge filter among the shade tree mechanic gene pool. Those I have dealt with on Mercedes-Benz 3.0L diesel, Powerstroke 6.4L, and Ecoboost 2.7L, use one or two o-rings on a large cap. The o-ring fits in a cylinder, is not compressed by tightening the cap. The seal is made once the o-ring(s) are in the cylinder, much like piston rings.

There have been a number of failures when these o-rings are forced out of their grooves in the cap, then the cap is forced down. Failure to check for leaks results in total oil loss before the engine seizes.

I like being able to see the bare filter before and after use. Not too fond of removing and installing the o-rings. Have no trouble getting the cap and o-rings properly screwed into place.

Cartridge filters were used on some American cars in the 1950s before spin-on filters became common. Spin-on filters were considered a major advance over the cartridge type when they first appeared because they were less messy to change.

The main reason in Europe for cartridge filters is that they can be incinerated after disposal without leaving behind metal.

OK, well, you're both right and wrong. You even addressed that when you said "... a spin-on almost always attached directly to the block".

Some do and many (that I've seen) don't using instead a mount or housing that attaches to the block.
If a spin-on screws onto anything on the engine, and the filter is exposed, then it essentially "screws onto to engine" or "attaches - screws on to - the engine". Cartridge filters go "into a hole in the engine", and are not visible from the outside of the engine. Semantics.

Back